Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Will you continue to wear a mask?

(162 Posts)
LizzieDrip Thu 27-Jan-22 10:07:06

Just that really. With more or less all restrictions being lifted today, will you continue to wear a mask in shops and on public transport? Personally, I feel safer wearing a mask when out and about - but will I be the only one???

varian Wed 02-Feb-22 19:31:10

Yes, that might have been the case. Social pressure is quite a strong influence on us all.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 02-Feb-22 18:53:09

I wouldn't say that your decision was wrong varian and I can quite see why you made it. Just wondered if there might have been someone else there thinking "If one other member wears a mask, I might" too! grin

Urmstongran Wed 02-Feb-22 18:15:55

I think it’s good to see you can adapt to your surroundings varian. I think you did right.

varian Wed 02-Feb-22 18:12:04

Good for you.

I will continue to wear masks in shops and anywhere there are other people wearing masks.

Today I went to the bridge club, held in a large village hall which no longer requires mask wearing.

The club members are all over sixty and as far as I know they are all fully jabbed.

No-one wore a mask so I didn't wear a mask either. If I had done so I think I would have been seen to have been making a political statement and I don't want to do that. I like being a member of this friendly club.

I think if just one other member had worn a mask I might have worn mine, but I didn't wan't to go it alone.

Was I right or wrong?

Mollygo Wed 02-Feb-22 18:03:48

Yes I will continue. I was masked in school (primary) as a Governor this afternoon. Staff moving around school wore masks indoors. Staff working one to one wore masks.

Kinsi10 Wed 02-Feb-22 17:10:57

Definitely will continue towest mine

AreWeThereYet Wed 02-Feb-22 16:17:34

^ I know people think I'm pedantic and argumentative but I do get a bit activated by comments based on thin air.^

Yes, you are pedantic and argumentative ? Thankfully. Your posts are well reasoned and logical. Please carry on.

Nicegranny Wed 02-Feb-22 14:48:39

Yes l will. I’m in Hong Kong and everyone wears masks even very small children.

MaggsMcG Wed 02-Feb-22 14:42:11

I will be wearing mine in places that have a lot of people milling around. Shops etc. and public transport. However if I am sitting in one spot, like a restaurant or even a theatre I will probably not. I will still continue to wash my hands and use wipes or hand gel. I definitely don't go to as many places as I used to. I think we all need to use our own common sense and do what we feel is safe for ourselves now.

Marydoll Wed 02-Feb-22 14:36:16

My hairdresser insists too, even if it is only me.
Ifind very reassuring, as I'm CEV.
When I was there last week, her two children popped in on the way home from
School. She insisted they put a mask before entering the salon.

Shinamae Wed 02-Feb-22 14:29:24

Shinamae

maddyone

Alegrias grin

The answer to the question is yes, I will continue to wear a mask. Probably not at the hairdresser later today though, as I’m usually the only one there at this time, and she’ll give me a cup of coffee. But mostly yes, I’ll wear a mask.

I have just been to my hairdresser and she wore a mask and insisted that I wore mine even though we are both triple jabbed

And I was the only one there

Shinamae Wed 02-Feb-22 14:28:49

maddyone

Alegrias grin

The answer to the question is yes, I will continue to wear a mask. Probably not at the hairdresser later today though, as I’m usually the only one there at this time, and she’ll give me a cup of coffee. But mostly yes, I’ll wear a mask.

I have just been to my hairdresser and she wore a mask and insisted that I wore mine even though we are both triple jabbed

maddyone Wed 02-Feb-22 10:54:25

Alegrias grin

Alegrias1 Wed 02-Feb-22 09:44:00

"I have come amongst you to tell you the truth and some of you will disagree with me, but I am above such things for I know I am unassailably right." smile

Galaxy Wed 02-Feb-22 09:34:04

It really makes me smile when people say I wont be replying.

TillyTrotter Wed 02-Feb-22 09:16:23

It is worrying aprilrose and some people seem to have forgotten about the plastics problem now we have Covid.
It’s not only masks but all the plastic that is binned from Lateral Flow Test kits most of us are using. Where will it end up? Landfill?
And there must be trolley cages full of spent PPE coming out of our hospitals everyday. Does it get burnt - does anyone know?

Shinamae Wed 02-Feb-22 09:12:29

I still wear a mask in shops and on public transport and I also have to wear one for six hours at work…

LilacChaser Wed 02-Feb-22 09:08:22

aprilrose Thank you for the lecture. Seriously, not sarcastically. I agree with every word you say.

Baggs Sat 29-Jan-22 09:25:24

Riverwalk

Thank you for your lecture.

Wearing a mask and caring for the environment are not mutually exclusive!

True, but the increased amount of plastic use that the pandemic has generated is truly scary.

Riverwalk Sat 29-Jan-22 09:23:28

Thank you for your lecture.

Wearing a mask and caring for the environment are not mutually exclusive!

aprilrose Sat 29-Jan-22 08:10:28

I have read all the replies to this. I rarely comment but this time I will answer the question as orginally asked.

I will not be wearing a mask. I gave that up after making myself ill trying the first time. I have worn a mask since then and I will not ever again. I do not think I am selfish in dloing this. I cannot see how wearing a mask and reducing my own oxygen supply and re breathing my own exhalations benifits anyone. If you wear a mask , fine. Your mask protects you. Your jab protects you too. Thats it really.

However, can I simply ask that all of those wearing masks please ensure you dispose of them suitably and responsibly when you have finished wearing them? Please ensure you do not accidently drop a mask on the floor or throw them away to pollute the footpaths, car parks, parks and countryside.

maybe burn them if you can ( get a garden incinerator and jut put them in and burn them away - its quickly done , easy and has minimal impact on the environment).

Putting them in the bins means they are simply escaping into the seas and rivers and polluting them. Pollution from masks and death of wildlife getting caught up with them, strangled and eating them, causing them to is a massive issue now. Our wildlife are not asking you to wear a mask. The same thing is happening to our own pets as well. Its killing them. Give a though for them and be responsible rather than only thinking of yourself and your own mask wearing needs.

I wont be replying, so get along and carry on with those who will discuss. I just wanted everyone to bear a thought for those who cannot wear a mask and for our poor wildlife , rivers and oceans which are now polluted with rag and plastic that does not break down. Its a massive issue now.

LizzieDrip Fri 28-Jan-22 15:24:28

Just been to my local supermarket and almost everyone was wearing a mask. Made me feel much better!

Josieann Fri 28-Jan-22 12:39:00

Bus & tube 95% compliance. That's interesting, Riverwalk, and good, especially as numbers on the tube increased this week. My stomping ground station had the highest increase at 20% up. Mainly city workers going back to their offices.
If masks are still worn, and the capital gets back to normal, then it's win win all round.

Jane71 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:50:23

I shall be wearing a mask in shops, crowded places, and transport until I feel confident not too. I think everyone will come to that decision in their own time, and we should respect that.
I'm worried that cases seem to be still high amongst young children, and I always panic slightly when I visit my grand children as to whether I will pick up the virus. Miss Anxious, thats me.

Riverwalk Fri 28-Jan-22 08:02:53

MissAdventure

It's strange, when I went out today more people seem to be wearing masks than when they were mandatory.

Interesting observation - I found the same yesterday!

Bus & tube 95% compliance; theatre 100%