Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine

(25 Posts)
Nanderin Mon 31-Jan-22 16:53:45

What do you do if your Daughter and her family my grandchildren won't have booster or first vaccine now . As they see it don't need it now. We as grandparents are worried. Also daughter who lives with us won't have her booster as she say there is no point. If they are not having theirs. We just won't be able to get together.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 31-Jan-22 16:56:13

Remind them that Delta is still around and that Omicron might be fairly mild for most but can still give you long covid. And treat them like lepers.

rosie1959 Mon 31-Jan-22 16:58:20

My children are fully vaccinated my grandchildren are not (They are all too young) but as we are fully vaccinated this does not stop us getting together we are fully protected by ours
As vaccinated people can get and transmit the virus surely it is better to test before you meet if you are concerned.

EllanVannin Mon 31-Jan-22 17:20:26

We don't hear much about the AstraZenica now do we ?

NotTooOld Mon 31-Jan-22 17:23:50

EllanVannin

We don't hear much about the AstraZenica now do we ?

I was wondering about that, EllanVannin. I think I read somewhere that the EU countries were verbally trashing it because we got in first. No idea if that is true.

Farmor15 Mon 31-Jan-22 19:06:43

Unfortunately none of the vaccines seem to be effective against Omicron variant- at least at preventing symptomatic infection, even with 3rd dose or booster. They do seem to be preventing serious illness.

I've been fully vaccinated and got booster in late November. Went to stay with daughter and family when 3rd baby due last week. 3 year old then tested positive and passed it on to me!

I'm nearly recovered- it was like a very bad cold- but the vaccine didn't protect me.

I've had to try to isolate from OH in house. On 10th day after 1st positive LFT, I still got weak positive- hope tomorrow I'll be clear.

maddyone Mon 31-Jan-22 19:26:06

What a difficult situation for you Nanderin. My family are all vaccinated except for our grandchildren, who are too young. I don’t know what I’d do in your circumstances. Could you ask them to test before they see you? The daughter who lives with you is more problematic, maybe she should test every day.

Summerlove Mon 31-Jan-22 19:37:02

Unfortunately there is nothing to do. People are allowed to choose to get this vaccine.

silverlining48 Mon 31-Jan-22 19:45:51

My dh had no antibodies when tested after two vaccines, it was only after the booster that tests showed antibodies.
The tv news showing 6 people in intensive care where the doctor said all except one were unvaccinated would surely persuade any sensible person.

Biscuitmuncher Mon 31-Jan-22 21:31:57

Three jabs and people still catch it! Yet unvaccinated people are in the wrong?

Lucca Mon 31-Jan-22 21:38:00

Biscuitmuncher

Catch it but more mildly.

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 22:13:53

Lucca

Biscuitmuncher

Catch it but more mildly.

Not necessarily.
Just had an update on someone double vaccinated, he caught Covid before the booster, spent weeks in hospital, big chap (not fat, just tall and strong, no underlying conditions) and lost over 5 stone.
He is recovering slowly at home.
It could be argued that, had he not been vaccinated, he might have died but we don't know that.

In fact, we think we know a lot about why some are more affected than others. but there is still much to learn.

maddyone Mon 31-Jan-22 23:28:07

No we don’t know if your friend would have died without his vaccinations Callistemon but we do know that vaccinated people are less likely to catch Covid, less likely to pass it on if they do catch it, less likely to be seriously ill, less likely to be hospitalised, less likely to be admitted to ITU (and this is hugely less likely) and most important of all, a lot less likely to die. And all of the above is true for any variant.

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 23:43:02

It's odd, though. One of my relatives, very ill, went into hospital (same one) and caught Covid in there. He hadn't been vaccinated and had no symptoms.

maddyone Mon 31-Jan-22 23:52:29

Yes, it’s strange how the virus causes different symptoms or no symptoms in different people. My mother caught Covid in hospital and wasn’t very ill, but she gave it to my husband and myself as we were bubbled with her, and as you know I was very ill but husband had very few symptoms.

Dickens Tue 01-Feb-22 00:32:17

Biscuitmuncher

The 'jab' does not prevent you from catching the virus, what it does do is make you less likely to be seriously ill, ending up in intensive care, if you do catch it.

... I thought everyone understood that?

Lucca Tue 01-Feb-22 01:53:20

Dickens

Biscuitmuncher

The 'jab' does not prevent you from catching the virus, what it does do is make you less likely to be seriously ill, ending up in intensive care, if you do catch it.

... I thought everyone understood that?

Well thanks that’s what I thought…

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 01-Feb-22 07:55:42

I doubt Biscuitmuncher has seen the inside of a vaccination centre. Let’s hope she doesn’t see the inside of an ICU.

rosie1959 Tue 01-Feb-22 08:19:25

Going back to the original post we have to accept that some people will not have the vacinations we think they should
Unless you are going to lead a very restricted life you are going to meet people that are unvaccinated and a good chance you won't even know
You like me might work with someone who is not vacinnated but they have made their personal choice and quite frankly its none of my business. Do I feel more at risk?of course not I have been vacinnated and I trust it
I feel the person taking the biggest risk is the person that has made the choice not to accept the vacinne but that is up to them and they will not all end up in ICU especially the young but again their choice

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 01-Feb-22 08:34:56

The trouble is, Rosie, some people have no choice but to lead a restricted life because they are vulnerable. Their isolation is exacerbated by those who refuse to be vaccinated or to wear a mask.

rosie1959 Tue 01-Feb-22 08:50:52

Germanshepherdsmum

The trouble is, Rosie, some people have no choice but to lead a restricted life because they are vulnerable. Their isolation is exacerbated by those who refuse to be vaccinated or to wear a mask.

This is true I was talking in general but even the vacinatted can transmit the virus and although helpful ordinarily surgical masks are nowhere near 100 % protection for more protection you need a FFP2 mask
But it does not change the fact that you cannot force vacination
My daughter and husband are CV but they cannot sheild from ordinarily life neither would they want to
I know you are talking I presume about CEV which hopefully will be protected by anti viral but hard as it sounds you cannot change the rest of the populations choices

Daisymae Tue 01-Feb-22 09:12:41

I guess that you have 2 choices, either don't see them or ask them to test before a get together. It's a difficult tightrope to tread, one being negotiated up and down the country.

Pagzy Mon 07-Feb-22 11:07:23

As it is now 3 months since I had the booster I am no longer vaccinated just like the majority of people my age, So what now?

grannysyb Mon 07-Feb-22 11:17:03

Because I developed an auto immune skin problem in 2020, I have been given a fourth jab. I've been going out since the beginning of Covid, masking and sanitizing in shops and on public transport. All the groups I belong to are meeting up in real life now. I would hate to be shut up in my home, but people must do what they feel happy with.

MayBee70 Fri 11-Feb-22 11:53:54

Pagzy

As it is now 3 months since I had the booster I am no longer vaccinated just like the majority of people my age, So what now?

Without understanding it fully your body will still have a T cell response. ie before the vaccination programme our immune system would not have recognised the virus but now it will. Or something like that. It’s sad that the vaccines were found not to prevent us catching covid but, given that no one has ever found a way to vaccinate against the common cold it’s not surprising.