Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

False negatives?

(13 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Sun 13-Feb-22 10:55:24

Twice in the last 4 days I have had a very faint positive line on tests. I have then repeated the tests with a different batch.

Both the faint results were from the same batch, and all the negative ones from other batches.

I am inclined to think that the batch is faulty for some reason - ?storage conditions.

MayBeMaw Sun 13-Feb-22 11:32:15

Ah but which batch is faulty? (Or more sensitive)
I think the only way to confirm would be a PCR test- but I hate them, so I might stick with whichever LFT result suited me better blush

paddyann54 Sun 13-Feb-22 11:46:49

My daughter and her family all had negative results on tests despite feeling really ill.They repeated the tests 4 days in a row with the same result ,Were advised to go to the nearest testing staion and they all tested positive .When she posted it online loads of her friends said the same thing had happened to them but they thought it was a one off so didn't post online .Might have saved some folk getting covid if they had !

annodomini Sun 13-Feb-22 12:18:02

A week ago, I had developed a cold with an annoying cough which made sleeping difficult. Two LFTs (from different batches, just to be sure) registered negative. My 'cold' gradually got better during the week and I was quite confident when I went for a swab test (prior to treatment for BCCs on Tuesday) and shocked to the core when today I had a message to tell me I've tested positive. I did a LFT this morning and sure enough that's positive too. After dodging the virus for two years, it has got me at last. So far, I feel no less normal than usual.

rosie1959 Sun 13-Feb-22 12:22:29

To be fair you are supposed to have a PCR if you have symptoms not a Lateral Flow
Saying that I have always found the lateral flow tests to be very responsive

BlueSky Sun 13-Feb-22 12:23:37

I think we are getting rather used to the positive results now, as so many people have caught it. But when we caught it back in August, it wasn’t so widespread and we felt like lepers!

maddyone Sun 13-Feb-22 12:25:53

My nine year old grandson was a bit off colour on Friday and so sent home from school. Slight temperature yesterday and very slight sore throat. LFT said negative. As it’s half term next week and he wanted a sleepover at ours I advised Daddy to get a PCR which he did this morning. Meanwhile the chocolate cake lover for England said his chocolate cake tasted ‘funny’ last night. We await the results tomorrow.

SueDonim Sun 13-Feb-22 13:05:48

A double line is a positive test. You need to do a PCR.

My DD’s family have all just had Covid. All her LF’s were negative but her PCR was positive.

maddyone Mon 14-Feb-22 18:32:14

My nine year old grandson has just tested positive on a PCR test, but has tested negative and continues to test negative on lateral flows. He was a little unwell on Friday, sent home from school, and didn’t visit us this weekend as usual as our son felt it unwise as he possibly had Covid. Anyway, they got the positive result this morning, and by now he’s fine and dandy. But obviously still isolating at home. He was looking forward to a sleepover with us this week too, as it’s his half term.

rosie1959 Mon 14-Feb-22 19:02:26

maddyone

My nine year old grandson has just tested positive on a PCR test, but has tested negative and continues to test negative on lateral flows. He was a little unwell on Friday, sent home from school, and didn’t visit us this weekend as usual as our son felt it unwise as he possibly had Covid. Anyway, they got the positive result this morning, and by now he’s fine and dandy. But obviously still isolating at home. He was looking forward to a sleepover with us this week too, as it’s his half term.

Glad your grandson is ok despite being positive my grandson similar age to yours was unwell for about 12 hours the isolation was the worst bit for him as it was Christmas
My granddaughter tested negative on a lateral flow but positive later on a PCR although swabbing a bouncy 4 year old is difficult

maddyone Tue 15-Feb-22 11:09:35

Thank you rosie. Our grandson is now perfectly well, and as it is half term, somewhat bored. Unfortunately our SiL’s father was taken into hospital with a suspected heart attack and in need of a pacemaker. SiL was hoping to go down to Devon to see his mother and if allowed, his father. Obviously this is now impossible. Our grandson was hoping for a sleepover with us, but more importantly would have been able to stay for a few days whilst SiL visited with his mother to support her. Sadly the virus has scuppered that possibility.

rosie1959 Tue 15-Feb-22 11:29:10

Oh dear maddyone why does everything have to happen together sods law I suppose. Hope everyone recovers well

maddyone Tue 15-Feb-22 11:33:06

Yes indeed rosie. It never rains but it pours. So true.