Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid on bedding

(15 Posts)
Sandybeth Wed 06-Jul-22 09:23:50

I am so angry with our Government that they have managed to instill this sort of fear in people. My neighbours were leaving their post for 48 in the porch hours before opening it, despite the Postman surviving ,never wearing gloves and delivering hundreds of letters.

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 09:11:31

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest this bedding could cause the illness.

Many places did take precautions when the disease was first around over the possibility of transfer of infection.

All I can say, to the better safe than sorry remark, is the one I made up thread. I hope you live in a bungalow and never cross roads. the risk of falling down the stairs and killing yourself or being run down on a crossing are probably roughly comparable with your chance of picking up COVID from the bedclothes that someone with COVID slept on.

Shelflife Wed 06-Jul-22 08:45:24

I am not sure on this one . We stayed in a lodge in Scotland last year and the before we left we were asked to strip the bed and put the sheets into a specially designed large bag , tie it at the top and leave in the sitting room for them to collect after we had gone.
So , leaving the bedding for 7- 10 days might not be a bad idea. Better safe than sorry!

Jaxjacky Tue 05-Jul-22 21:38:37

Being a #lazygran ( thanks Urms) it would take me a few days to get round to it anyway!
But, if I really needed to, I’d do it straight away..sigh.

Floradora9 Tue 05-Jul-22 21:29:09

I always use a washing machine disinfectant in my machine I would think that might be a good idea when you do wash the bedding or use a very high temperature.

growstuff Tue 05-Jul-22 16:33:25

If you're going to catch anything from him, you have probably already been infected from breathing in the air he breathed out. Any viral particles on bedding will be dead by now - not that a virus is ever alive because they need hosts to latch on to and do their damage.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 05-Jul-22 16:30:34

You could wear a face mask and rubber gloves while stripping the beds the visitors have used, and open the bedroom windows too.

I personally don't think it is necessary, but better safe than sorry.

And do wash the clothes on the hottest cycle possible.

If you do come down with covid, which I hope you won't, it is more likely to be caused by having been with your grandson then caught from his bedding.

MerylStreep Tue 05-Jul-22 16:17:14

I have a vision of the bright yellow tape that the police etc put up over doors.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 05-Jul-22 16:12:26

You might catch Covid from him, but not from the bedding

BlueBelle Tue 05-Jul-22 16:07:55

Wash the clothes all these worries and fears are totally over the top

TwiceAsNice Tue 05-Jul-22 16:02:16

If it was any other illness would you be so worried ? Viruses don’t stay on material ( or many other surfaces) you might catch it because youve been together but just change the bedding it won’t poison you

M0nica Tue 05-Jul-22 15:06:19

COVID is infectious not contagious. There is no evidenc that the illness can be transferred by touch and anyway, any viral cells will have deteriorated and be incapable of reproduction within hours.

I wouldn't think twice about stripping the bed and laundering the bed linen.

I expect the chance of you picking up the infection is remote but why chance it?

I would put the probability on a par with falling down the stairs and breaking your neck. so if you wouldn't wash the bed linen just in case, I hope you also live in a bungalow and never cross roads.

Smileless2012 Tue 05-Jul-22 14:43:28

I wouldn't have thought you could catch Covid from their bedding sazzl and what about any soft furnishings in your home they were in contact with?

Esspee Tue 05-Jul-22 14:41:57

I would leave it. I expect the chance of you picking up the infection is remote but why chance it?

sazz1 Tue 05-Jul-22 14:39:02

Grandson and DIL stayed Friday and Saturday night in our spare room. Grandson became ill Saturday afternoon with mild nausea then seemed better. Sunday he had a bad cold and temperature and tested positive for Covid. Strong result 2 clear bright red lines. My problem is what to do about changing and washing the bedding. Should I leave it for a week before going in the room? Can you catch it from duvets and pillow? Anyone know
Thanks