Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Booking jab - not fit for purpose

(13 Posts)
silversurf Thu 15-Sep-22 17:21:14

Tried to book my autumn booster online today. System was throwing me out each time I picked a venue.
So I phoned up. Was connected to a young lady who had no idea what she was doing. She kept asking me the same questions over and over. She was asking me for my email so she could confirm then I was cut off. Tried again, lady could not get onto my booking as I hadn’t been given a reference number. So she tried again from the start and the whole system went down.
I know that there are walk in centres, but the closest is 15 miles away. I have to get a friend to take me as I need my wheelchair, so this isn’t practical.
Wasted two hours and still not got an appointment.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Sep-22 17:25:35

Sorry you have had a problem.

You probably do not want to hear this, but I went online Monday morning and booked an appointment at local chemist took all of three minutes.

Lathyrus Thu 15-Sep-22 17:26:35

Oh dear. I booked mine yesterday on line and it only took two or three minutes.

Had plenty of choice of venues and chose one 15 minutes walk away.

I had a text telling me I was now eligible. I only needed my NHS number. Nothing else

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Sep-22 17:53:56

Sorry you’ve had problems, silversurf. What a shame.

I booked ours online in a couple of minutes as well on Monday evening. There were loads of venue options, some very near, but the first appointments were yesterday at a hub 4 miles away so we took them. Everything to do with the booking and the actual jabs went so smoothly, and the staff at the hub were so cheerful and efficient, feeding all the (many) walk-ins into the queue but making sure those of us with bookings got our time slots.

You must have been unlucky - I hope you get sorted soon.

tanith Thu 15-Sep-22 18:54:36

My pharmacy is apparently doing a walk-in service no app necessary. At least that’s what it says on the website.

Dizzyribs Thu 15-Sep-22 19:14:16

I feel for you OP. I'm having the same problem.
No walk ins anywhere near here, nearest is 30 miles away. The website is offering me places over 100 miles away (including one at the other end of the country!) but I know there is a large centre within about a mile and a pharmacy within 5 minutes walk. Can't get through on the phone.

MiniMoon Thu 15-Sep-22 19:23:28

I booked ours via the NHS app. I received a text message, and within a few minutes had booked appointments for both of us. Later the same day I had a message from our GP practice to say that the were taking bookings for the annual flu jab, so I booked those for the next week.
All done in few minutes.
I have found that in our area they are very efficient for these kinds of appointments but to try to get a regular appointment with your GP, you have to jump through hoops.

Margiknot Thu 15-Sep-22 19:33:51

I had trouble booking today also- kept having to go back to the beginning. I got there in the end! The upside is I typed my nhs number so many times - I might even remember it! I had no sooner booked an appointment some miles away and I got a text from my GP telling me I could get it done at the local surgery!

Nandalot Thu 15-Sep-22 19:50:46

DH tried to book his by telephone today as he had had the letter. The person at the other end said the system was down so they couldn’t book anything.

LtEve Thu 15-Sep-22 20:58:20

I’ve just booked mine online.

Georgesgran Thu 15-Sep-22 22:48:23

I’ve just had a look at booking and must be in an odd area, as it’s giving me a venue in a City 11 miles away that I’ve only been to a couple of times in my life. Can’t believe there’s nothing in or around Durham itself - it must be my postcode. I’ll wait.

MayBee70 Mon 26-Sep-22 00:02:03

Georgesgran

I’ve just had a look at booking and must be in an odd area, as it’s giving me a venue in a City 11 miles away that I’ve only been to a couple of times in my life. Can’t believe there’s nothing in or around Durham itself - it must be my postcode. I’ll wait.

I was told to travel 30 miles. But when I went to a local Boots for my flu jab they offered me a covid one at the same time. When I checked the NHS site later that day it still said I would have to travel 30 miles!

PaperMonster Fri 30-Sep-22 20:11:10

Tried to book a jab for my daughter- nearest one is 20 miles away now. Will have to wait til half term.