Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang still chatting

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Sun 12-Feb-23 20:38:09

Hello all. The last thread finished abruptly.
Hope everyone finds the new one. I’ll send up flares.
All are welcome to join in

Kaimoana2 Wed 23-Aug-23 21:36:35

A blue bathroom, it looks lovely with the red lavvy Grammaretto. Have you tried the old Vicks In Hot Water and Breathe in Under a Towel trick? It makes all the mucus membranes run so freely it often takes the bugs with it. Alternatively 30 mins deep breathing on the beach on a windy day - good for the soul too.

My first visitor, old friend Bev from Te Wahi Ora (https://www.tewahiora.co.nz) women's retreat, was earlier than expected and we had a wonderful hour to chat, laugh and catch up because the women from NZ Blind never turned up a good thing?

Bev and I go back decades and are very much on the same wavelength, including natural remedies and being vegetarian (I'm a lapsed one). As she's in her late 90's and sprightly as a cricket, it works for her.

She is vibrantly pro-women without in any way being anti-men, though we do question the wisdom of a patriarchal society which can marginalises us.

No idea why Helena and Hannah from BLV didn't get here; they didn't ring to explain. I checked my notes; I had the right day and time. No doubt I'll hear eventually.

Yes, Doodle I did enjoy the sunshine and Artoa hung out the laundry which dried well until 3pm when it began to rain but I'd seen the grey clouds and it was all indoors and airing when the first drops fell.

It would be nice to have more colour in the house but I understand why it's not possible. I wear rainbow socks and gloves and colourful knitwear whenever I can, so that makes up for it.

Today I am hoping to plough on with the book.
Bev is keen to read it and says she thinks it would be a best-seller. Ha! First a publisher needs to take it up.
Aye, and there's the rub.

Doodle Wed 23-Aug-23 17:21:13

Kaimoana we’ve been plodding along in the Lockdown Gang for some time now haven’t we.
Be nice if you get to do the trip with your son.
Wow you are popular. How nice to have visitors but I hope they didn’t wear you out.
Shame you can’t have some colour in your home. You would think they’d allow people to chose their own colour.
Hope you have another sunny day.
Going out for meal tonight with son and family. Haven’t seen them for a while so looking forward to it.
Grammaretto I was hoping your cold would be getting better by now. Did they give you any idea when you might have your op? Like the colour of your bathroom. Lovely high ceilings.
Yes I wonder how all our little gang are doing too.
Been to physio for my wrist this afternoon. Some of the gadgets I was required to use looked like torture treatment. It was really hard work. I think the other wrist may be feeling jealous of all the attention the other one is having.

Grammaretto Wed 23-Aug-23 08:46:55

Any news from our temporarily absent Lobstars?
You are never forgotten.

You are a popular person at the momentKaimoana you may have to instigate a booking system and time slots. Just like at the doctor.
I am now expecting a phonecall from a GP sometime on Thursday morning, no doubt in the middle of my yoga class, to discuss my neverending cold
I suppose most things get better without any intervention so I may just have to wait and see.
No news about the eye operation.
I will come and queue to visit you KM or Spud that would be a proper tonic
Here is my bathroom turning blue

Kaimoana2 Tue 22-Aug-23 23:16:12

Only 27 posts to go before we need a new thread.

Spud is an angel.

DS suggests he and I go on the trip they did not feel
DGS and I could safely take. smile I hope we can.

Today, four lots of people want to visit and all at the same time grin I'll give them numbered tickets at the door then set a timer!

My bathroom is grey, as is most of the rest of the house where it isn't cream.
The Sallies are not adventurous hmm and I'm not allowed to change it.

Oh Doodle if we didn't know you were such a sweetheart, that slip might have been painful smile

ixion I looked almost like that when I worked as a nanny for rich people who didn't care about their poor wee darlings
I was always called 'Nanny' and ate meals separately unless they wanted to impress aristocratic guests with their apparent egalitarianism. hmm

They were not nice people, great show offs, thought themselves very superior but in fact were as dumb as a pile of bricks.

It's sunny again today so I've risked doing some laundry - must go hang it out, not easy with fingers crossed grin

Cherry & Nfk how are you faring? flowers

Doodle Tue 22-Aug-23 21:05:43

Freudian slip Grammaretto “Hope the dentist went well and you got your pain”. Should of course have read got your paint. Funny how the mind works. 🤣

Doodle Tue 22-Aug-23 21:03:33

Kaimoana sunshine. Yippee. Here too. Looks like a nice spread for your breakfast. Beautiful picture of the island. Hope you do get to visit.
You really are running a cottage industry. Soon everyone in Auckland will have a pair. They are lovely, not surprised they’re popular.
Grammaretto love the sweater, I’m sure your DD will like it. What colours are you planning?
Hope the dentist went well and you got your pain. The two new workers seem very good. I read on GM that one of them is a good cook.
Thanks DH is feeling better. Went for a hospital check this morning and all went well. Your yellow bathroom sounds warm and sunny. Hope you like it when it’s finished.
Mamissimo ouch that sounds an unpleasant dentist visit.
So pleased Spud is well now. Big relief all round.
What a lovely surprise for your DGDs. I love a swing myself.
Hope you have a lovely family gathering and the weather is kind to you.
Spud is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful hair.
Ixion yes there we are ready and willing. I’m the one at the front. Curly hair and starched pinny………anything to get my hands on one of those pasties. 😋
Can you all smell something? I’ve just baked a cake. First time in a long time. DH’s favorite fruit caked (boiled) only snag is I’ve lost the recipe so I’ve had to make it up from what I can remember. It looks ok but it needs to set overnight in the fridge before I cut it. Really tempted to go and have a nibble now ……..but I mustn’t.

Grammaretto Tue 22-Aug-23 16:14:53

Don't we scrub up well ixion!

Spud gets more gorgeous by the minute. I am glad he's doing so well, and his DM who has been through trials.

Parties! I'm an old hand Mamissimo just have a few Brazilians to clear the decks.
We are still living on the leftovers from mine. Although we got through the wine.

I hope it's sunny for yours and the forecast is wrong.
Sorry about your tooth. That sounds sore. My dentist was actually the hygienist so I was only there for 10 minutes.

My bathroom is turning blue from yellow. It's looking good. These Helpers are excellent. I wrote a tactful review for the BZ. After all they did a lot of work they just made several terrible mistakes.

ixion Tue 22-Aug-23 15:00:56

Forget the girls who serve drinks , Mamissimo.
Here are the Lobstars, all ready and waiting - see, the outfits still fit!

Anything to get close to that positively gorgeous baby.

Mamissimo Tue 22-Aug-23 13:15:10

Good afternoon 🤕
I am just back from the dentist (snap Grammaretto) where I had my molar extracted - eventually!. The darned thing broke off when she tugged it and they then had to dig the roots out. I feel a bit sorry for myself...

Spud is doing well after his trip to hospital last week - and his Mum is doing splendidly. I'm so happy for her!

Mr M has built the DGDs a swing for their entertainment and delight. We took it to them on Saturday and I don't think they've been off it since. Like all small people they started twisting the seats to spin and DD1 sent a splendid video of the smallest falling flat on her back when she stood up after spinning the first time.

We are having a big party next weekend, together with the Christening of DGD2. This is the first big party we've held since `Covid and it's been challenging to organise. Everyone has stopped hiring out glasses when you buy drinks from them - except for Majestic....and I wanted to get the hooch from Sainsbugs...first world problem I know!

Ive ordered the pasties from Cornwall, cleared out the freezer and booked the girls who serve drinks and dole out food for us so we're hot to trot.....except its forecast to rain and we've booked a venue with glorious views and a play facility for the children. Hopefully it won't put a dampener on things!

Grammaretto Tue 22-Aug-23 07:54:48

You see it didn't last forever Kaimoana! Your photos are lovely. I am amazed by your knitting skills too. Speed knitting I call it.
I shall begin a sweater for DD soon. She's the only one who wants one. hmm

I think I'll go for this 80s style 😀

I have the dentist this morning and I want to buy paint so that the helpers can be even more helpful and paint the bathroom. Previous helps have prepped it removed flaking paint so it shouldn't be hard
The ceilings are high here so tall people on tall ladders are best.

I shall try to get a doctor's appointment too for the neverending cold.

The BZ have written me a super review so I must write them one . They did a lot of work it was just those misunderstandings!

Hey ho!
I'm glad that DH had a better day Doodle and no more falls.

Ixion and Cherry did our team win?

Kaimoana2 Tue 22-Aug-23 04:47:08

Oh, frabjous day, the sun is out, it's warm and we had our 1st Kawhe Kaumatua meeting of the 15 week term.

Several new people came to visit but it was explained we are limited to 30 and there's a waiting list.
The visitors stayed for the day.
smile
Photo is today's morning tea, not posh but delicious.

We are going to Waiheke Island soon. It's in the Hauraki Gulf, about 2 hour ferry ride from Auckland city and a popular holiday and retirement place. I wonder if we'll tour the vineyards? grin

I've made about 30 pairs of slippers now Doodle and today received orders for 7 more. I've just finished three pairs this weekend for a family up North. I'll be posting them soon.

I hope you feel better soon Grammaretto - go to the seaside and let the ocean winds blow it away. smile

Doodle Mon 21-Aug-23 22:53:17

Grammaretto sorry your cold seems to be hanging around. Glad it. Didn’t spoil your party though.
Good your helpers get on well it means they will work better together.
Yes we had a good weekend thanks. Quiet didn’t do much after DH wasn’t feeling well Friday. He’s been much better.
Kaimoana can’t believe your weather is so awful yet up until this week it’s been pretty bad here, nice day today though.
Spoke to Gp today and she advised DH to cut out one of his BP meds to see if that helps. How many pairs of slippers have you done now?
Mamissimo I too hope Spud is doing well

Grammaretto Mon 21-Aug-23 11:20:47

Hello friends,
I gave been busy but also still full of the cold so below par and would really prefer to collapse in a heap but must find suitable jobs for my helpers.
I've given them the morning off while I make a plan. collapse in a heap
They get along well together which is nice.

Sorry about the constant rain Kaimoana surely it can't last forever?

I do occasionally eat fish so not a true vegetarian. I am quite fussy about where it's from. I prefer not farmed fish if there's a choice.

That's a good idea with the soap Doodle . Hope you and DH have had a good weekend.

Hoping Spud is thriving.
Mamissimo as well as his DGP.
I enjoyed hearing about your au pairs Ixion and how you still keep in touch. I'm still in contact with quite a few of our Helpers and one has even moved here from Switzerland and lives nearby!

Kaimoana2 Sun 20-Aug-23 23:06:58

ixion you made me laugh too and I'm sure the mouthwash will come in handy! No, it hasn't stopped raining, in fact with this robust wind at its back, it's hitting the windows like peas.
Did our team win? Hope our virtual cheerleader was up to the amuse bouche. I meant to do some baking this weeked but could only summon the energy to sit in my chair and listen to the pounding rain.

No visitors Doodle just rain all night and day. I'm sick of saying I'm sick of it grin I don't know how many different words we have for rain in English but I don't suppose the ones I'm using would be in the dictionary. grin

Very glad to hear your DH is a little better. What's being done about the low BP?

You really did have a grand time Grammaretto didn't you? You should rename your house International Manor. I had always thought you were a vegetarian but you spoke of fish. Was that just for the BZ guests?

I'm hoping our kaumatua craft group is meeting tomorrow as I have the Marae slipper orders to take.

Doodle Sun 20-Aug-23 21:17:06

Grammaretto what a lovely time you’ve had from the sound of things. A very successful party.
Your two new helpers sound great. Nice to have your DD and DGDs to stay and so pleased your cold didn’t spoil it for you.
Lots of soap….. I put mine in drawers and cupboards to make things smell nice like the towels.
Sending Jeeves to help with the leftovers tidying up.
Kaimoana have you had any visitors this weekend. DH and I have had a quiet one.
ixion if I had that many cosy cushions in the car I’d snuggle down and fall asleep, not do any driving. 🤣

Grammaretto Sun 20-Aug-23 16:54:02

I've just woken from an afternoon zzzz.
Great party, loads of food and plenty leftovers.
DD and the wee girls stayed over. German Helpx is delightful and speaks good English.
French Helper from past years arrived about 9pm, having missed an earlier flight.
They're all out walking now, leaving me to recover in peace.
DSiL leaves tonight.
My cold is much better though still not gone.
We were indoors as the weather wasn't conducive to a garden party.

I am thanking people for their lovely presents. I received a lot of soap! grin

I'm glad the dude is somewhat better ,
Doodle.
Thinking of you all.

ixion Sun 20-Aug-23 12:04:05

➡️ Booster cushions for drivers, Doodle? 😉

Doodle Sun 20-Aug-23 11:10:54

Oh ixion that made me laugh. Like you I put in an expensive item or two to hold my delivery slot until I get round to doing my order and like you have sometimes forgotten to take them off again.
Last order I did remotely when we were on holiday and I had a few goes at amending it. Which is probably why we ended up getting a small bag of new potatoes, an enormous bag of large potatoes, two different types of carrots and two different types of tomatoes. I expect we will get through them all.
Hope you and your match buddy enjoy your treats and out team wins. Make sure your Pom Poms are nicely fluffed.
Cushions can be on hold for the moment. We now think DHs BP has been too low, hence the balance issue so he’s cutting back on meds for a bit to see if things improve.
Have a good day all.

ixion Sun 20-Aug-23 10:13:27

PS How many cushions am I supposed to make making, Doodle?

ixion Sun 20-Aug-23 10:10:32

I hear Doodle's lone voice in the wilderness, so am providing a tiny part of the cavalry this sunny morning.
Awaiting my Sainsbury's delivery and hoping not for a re-run of last week's scenario, where two bottles of gin lay resplendently on the top crate. Mea culpa, having forgotten to remove them from my 'holding order' to reserve the slot🥴.
DS remarked that he had thought they were rather large bottles of mouthwash🙄.

How did the party go Grammaretto? And your new Help? 3 of our au pairs in days of yore were German girls and a delight, frankly. To the extent, in fact, that they have all visited - with families- whilst holidaying in the UK at some time and we always get Christmas updates. Funny to think that their children, in many cases, are older than their mums when they came! Rather sobering, I thought, that one confessed to me later that her mum had taught her how to iron shirts before her stay😱.

Has it stopped raining yet, Kaimona? I hope you are feeling a tad more cheerful🌻. Hope too that Spud continues to bring joy and not too much worry...

Must away to prepare for Our Match this afternoon. Have to prepare some amuse-bouche for my (virtual!) Match Buddy who does have very refined tastes

Doodle Sat 19-Aug-23 23:06:18

DH much better today but his BP is very low which I think was the cause of his problems yesterday.
Had a quiet day at home. New cardigan delivered this morning. A slightly thicker one ready for winter.
Hope everyone is ok.
Grammaretto I hope the party went well. Was there many there?

Doodle Fri 18-Aug-23 22:17:27

Grammaretto well the BZ were certainly different. I expect if he ate all the plums he may spend much of his next place of work in the toilet. 😮
Gosh another arriving already you are being kept busy. Hope this one speaks more English.
Nice you’ve got your sister and BIl with you to help out for the party. Hope that cataract op comes really soon.
Kaimoana don’t think it’s UTI as all the symptoms disappear within a few hours and then he’s ok till the next time. I think it might be related to low BP.

Kaimoana2 Fri 18-Aug-23 22:05:48

Does your DH have regular uti tests Doodle? They can be present with just such symptoms.

Doodle Fri 18-Aug-23 21:20:39

Mamissimo so relieved to hear Spud is home again. Hope he’s feeling much better,
Are you another who tidies before the cleaner comes 🤣 Jeeves is on his way.
Kaimoana my silly rhymes are nothing compared to your literary skills and story telling abilities but I do my best.
ixion how kind of you to offer a cushion. I could do with one but please send a couple of dozen by return. I will Line the bedroom floor with them to help if DH had a wobble.
DH had one of his ‘funny turns’ today. First hot then cold then hot again. Sudden flash of high temperature before it all settles down again. He’s fine now but very unsteady on his feet. Keeps going backwards when he wants to move forward. He’s been asleep in bed for an hour or so. I’m going to join him with my iPad soon I can keep an eye on him .
Sleep well all

Grammaretto Fri 18-Aug-23 07:27:26

Isn't she just!
Thanks so much for the birthday poem Doodle

The BZ left yesterday and left a sweet note in my book. Personal development was the motive for their travels!
The final discovery was that he had eaten all the plums from my tree. 😲
I too will be intrigued to hear how they get along in NI ixion. I now must write them a review.

DSis was impressed by the clean and tidy rooms and neat garden so I think I'll have to forgive the awful mistakes mishaps. The lack of common language was hard and tiring so I hope my next helper, a German girl arriving tonight, will have some English.

I got 3 loads of washing on the line and dry enough to put back on the bed for my DSis &DBiL who arrived yesterday.
I was sneezing and she was coughing. We talked, ate, and drank wine. Today we'll be making plans for tomorrow's party. I have been excused my shift at the store.

I had my eye assessment yesterday. I wore a mask but noone seemed bothered. I must not drive anymore as the cataracts are quite advanced. I hope I can have the operation soon.

I am so glad Spud is safely home where he belongs Mamissimo . Such worries.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion