Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang still chatting

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Sun 12-Feb-23 20:38:09

Hello all. The last thread finished abruptly.
Hope everyone finds the new one. I’ll send up flares.
All are welcome to join in

Kaimoana2 Fri 26-May-23 00:19:26

No, grammaretto I don't hear why things are cancelled but I tell myself thats better than not being told - and turning up only to fine echoing and deserted halls smile
Please post pictures of the fete.

Cherry do you know Repair Cafes? Your nearest is Durrell Street in Llantwit Major.
Grammaretto, for you it's 121 Lawrie Reilly Place, Edinburgh.
Anything you take in, from clothing to laptops to furniture, is repaired for free. It began with one woman's smile idea in The Netherlands. Martine Postma

www.repaircafe.org there are around 2,800 in the UK.

I didn't know there was such a thing as 'shapeless' - doesn't everyhing have a shape?

Kaimoana2 Fri 26-May-23 06:36:13

I missed a vital bit from the URL. Sorry. This is the English version.

www.repaircafe.org/en/

Grammaretto Fri 26-May-23 09:10:02

Ha Ha Kaimoana I tried the Dutch version and I think it took me to the same place.
We already have a tool library in one of our our community shops but I don't think there is an actual repair shop unless you count the yarn group.
One of the brilliant ladies not only teaches dressmaking but repairs her own sewing machines and campervan
We have a Men's shed too where I believe things are restored for resale for charity. I bought a fire screen from them.
There's a repair shop at the prison where our tools for the community garden were fixed.

The big day here is tomorrow but horses with riders in fancy dress passed by while I was gardening last night. There was a pipe band playing Highland Cathedral.

CherryCezzy Fri 26-May-23 20:25:42

How strange, I had a ganglion on my wrist when I was a kid too Doodle. I don't remember the hot wax but I do remember having a strap that seemed to resemble plasticine 😳 😹. Have they given you any indication how long it's likely to be before you have your hand therapy? I guess that will depend on how your hand and wrist are when you have your next check though won't it.. At the moment it sounds as if it's still pretty bad.

Thanks for the info' on the Repair Cafe, there's one closer to me than the one in Llantwit Major Kaimoana. There's one in Swansea Marina (an area I've gone on walks with my group) about 6/7 miles away whereas Llantwit is about 35 miles away. They do a lot of interesting stuff at the Cafe - including drum sessions for the over 50s 😁. They do some useful stuff there but it's different to the Care and Repair (or what used to be called Tend and Mend) scheme which focuses on gardens, hard landscaping and carpentry, eg. repairs to and hanging of doors.

You're right Kaimoana, everything has some sort of shape. When it comes to dresses (especially summer ones) I guess I mean ones with no shaping, no nips, tucks, elastic or banding at the waist nothing that can dig in to my belly flesh 🙈

There's a Men's shed in the village up from where I live Grammaretto. Apparently it's quite cliquey 🙁. The prison repair shop is a brilliant idea, it's great that they repaired the tools for the community garden 👍.
I like the way the riders are dressed up, were the pipe band good?

I managed to put the prescription in at the pharmacy. The pharmacist said at first they don't do it. I explained what the hospital pharmacist told me and after a bit of persuasion he said he'd check the system to see if he could order it. Result! Hopefully it'll be ready for me to collect on Wednesday 😁
I did have a look in a few of the shops to see if I could find any tops I liked .... and I did find a couple (okay it was three) so I'm set for the summer just need to find jeans that fit now.
We also went for an ice cream, this time in Joe's - aka. "probably the best ice cream in the world" 😸

Doodle Fri 26-May-23 22:44:04

Kaimoana I’ve never heard of repair cafes.what a good idea.
How have you been today?
Grammaretto what a strange combination of skills “she fixes her own sewing machines and campervan” a talented lady.
Ooh that’s exciting with the riders for the fete. Is it a big one? What sort of things are on show.
Cherry apart from the hot wax, I got to sit at a table with all the old people and we had to roll a ball across the table to each other with our dodgy hands. I can still remember the smell of the wax in the wax bath (big tank with liquid wax in )
I didn’t get a strap thing but I did have to put a coin on the lump to press it down and wrap a bandage round it.
I think I get the hand therapy before my next consultation. Not sure how it all works. I was surprised to get an appointment so soon. It certainly doesn’t feel very mobile at the moment although my fingers are getting better.
Glad you got your prescription sorted. Hope you can collect it soon. We went to our local pharmacy today for DHs next sackful. I feel cheated, I didn’t get to buy any tops nor did he buy me an ice-cream 😥. Snot fair.

Kaimoana2 Sat 27-May-23 00:08:46

Well done Cherry for striking a blow for better script access. smile

“Were you due to give a talk?”
Not a talk Doodle just presenting a submission on some of the things I have found are not disability-friendly.

Our telephone system here for instnce, has a cut off point and it’s very short. People with impaired vision haven’t a hope of pressing all cell phone or 0800 numbers in time before it cuts you off.

I have failed to discover who can change this but I won’t give up. I’m hoping to submit by letter now.

Reading the improvement of your wrist and Jan’s progress as well makes me wonder anew at how marvellous our self-repairing bodies are.

Jan don’t hate your walking stick, it’s been your stalwart supporter and will continue to serve you well as long as you need it. smile

I have several decorated sticks, all painted by my dgs. My favourite is the one with the butterflies.

I bought it plain, many years ago for $1 in a 2nd hand shop in Kaitaia when I was waiting for a hip-op.

In those days, once my hips was healed, I didn’t need it every day; now I do. It’s my old, reliable friend. smile

Doodle Sat 27-May-23 22:30:53

That’s a very fancy stick * Kaimoana* . When i saw the first photo I thought it was a snake about to devour your fruit bowl 🤣
There must be many things you could have reported on. Will it be rearranged do you think?
I’ve managed a little sewing tonight. I wanted to hem round the neck of a t shirt and found my fingers have loosened up enough for me to hold the fabric between my thumb and index finger. Progress indeed. DH has just sent me a photo of younger DGD all dressed up for the night in a very elegant sheath dress and high heels. She looks stunning………where’s my baby girl gone ? 😊

Grammaretto Sun 28-May-23 00:36:30

Grandchildren grow up so fast don't they Doodle . Yours sounds very glam!
The one I went out with this week is taller than her mum now. The wee DGC came today for gala day. After the fun of the fair, I set them to pick rhubarb and they decorated the pottery that they had made last time. They are lovely but fight all the time. My DSis and I used to fight all the time. It's very wearing.

It was nice to see DD who had been to see DMiL and found her not too bad. DD has a job interview next week.

That's so good that your hand works again.
Your painted walking sticks are great Kaimoana

Sending love and hugs to all the Lobstars whatever you are doing. Missing those we've not seen lately.

CherryCezzy Sun 28-May-23 13:13:18

Doodle, it's such good news that you've managed a bit of sewing 👍
Children grow up so fast - where does the time go? Your DGD sounds so elegant 🙂
Sorry you feel cheated about missing out on tops and an ice cream 🙁 - our local pharmacy doesn't sell them either 😹 or my new meds 🙄. I'm just glad the part time pharmacy in the village does.

Shame you didn't get to present your submission Kaimoana 😕. Amongst other things your telephone system sounds ridiculous!
A bit like Doodle I also mistook the picture of your stick for something else - not a snake but a pole your haven't taken up dancing have you 🤣. It is prettily decorated and what a bargain it was when you bought it.

Grammaretto it's been said that each generation is getting taller than the last. Must be a relatively new phenomenon - my DM was a good 3-4 inches taller than me! Is your DGD quite tall?
It must have been lovely to see the smaller, younger DGC yesterday, and your DD too 😊. Sibling rivalry 🤔, two of my great nephews (the older pair) do bicker but thankfully not too much. Despite the fighting it sounds like you had a lovely day.
I too am missing the lobStars that we haven't seen lately and hope all are reasonably okay.

My neighbour played up again Friday night and into the early hours of Saturday morning, keeping me awake until gone 4am 😤. Consequently yesterday I went round in a bit of a daze 😔. I do know the sun was shining, I spent some time in the garden deadheading and we sit outside with a pot of tea the rest is a blur 🙂
I've got a serious question for you all - how often do you get static shocks from loved ones 🤣. Yesterday it seemed that every time I touched my WP, no matter how briefly, I was shocked 😱 🤣

CherryCezzy Sun 28-May-23 13:41:07

I must be still in a daze as I meant to say that I'm pleased to hear that your DMIL was a bit better when your DD saw her yesterday Grammaretto and I also wanted to wish your DD good luck with her interview next week.

Grammaretto Sun 28-May-23 17:53:20

Thanks Cherry. You are so kind and thoughtful. Bother that neighbour. Tell her I'll set my DGC on her. The 5yr old can be quite terrifying grin

DH was short and came from a line of short people. I am average height but come from a line of short people.
Our DS1 grew tall we do wonder if he was swapped at the hospital and now his DC are tall by my standards
Our DC were always in the front row in class photos, as were we. It amuses and surprises me to see the DGC further back.
DD is shorter than me but her DH is tall and handsome.

I tried to buy some clothes fro DMiL today - and failed.
The carers insist on garments that do up in the front and nothing to go over the head.
Unfortunately all I can find look like nightshirts.
Doodle can you come to the rescue with your trusty sewing machine? please smile

DS3 has broken his ankle, playing football. He eventually went to A&E and was seen quickly. The cameras from C4 were there taking pictures so he thinks his feet may appear on tele. Its a programme called 24 hours at A&E.

Now if only you Doodle and Jan had had that sort of reception , you might have been up for an oscar!

I hope you are all feeling better and have been enjoying the sunshine.

Doodle Sun 28-May-23 21:40:18

Grammaretto sounds like a good day was had by all. Yours must be such a lovely place for your DGC to come. House full of nooks and crannies, large garden and fun time doing pottery and painting. 😊
Good luck to your DD in her interview. You must be pleased your DMIL sounds a bit better.
Cherry I think you’re right. The younger generation do seem to be getting taller. All 3 of mine are taller than their mums and me. I only reach my DGSs shoulder.
Wish the issue with your neighbour could be resolved. Not fun when you can’t sleep at night.
I occasionally get an electric shock from DH. Not as often as you two. Perhaps it was something your WP was wearing that was giving off static.
Grammaretto oh no. Your poor grandson. I do feel for him.
Just before the summer holidays too poor chap. Hope he’s ok.
Not much good at sewing at the moment, sorry. Even with a machine, one hand isn’t enough. Daft though it sounds, have you tried looking on Amazon. I bought a dress from there the other day ( like a tent without the ropes) which was quite pretty.
Kaimoana hope you’re ok too.

Doodle Sun 28-May-23 21:48:09

Forget I mentioned Amazon. I’ve just had a look at front opening dresses 😱 . Certainly not for the likes of your DMIL.

This might be better
www.woolovers.com/womens/dresses/button-through-linen-dress-25635?gclid=Cj0KCQjw98ujBhCgARIsAD7QeAjNWo26aVPCY7CO5-b-8GB_mEFrivnw48aEopH7dgytAB9Ot8eubLAaAo1sEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Kaimoana2 Mon 29-May-23 04:53:38

It's been wonderfully sunny and warm here - ate my lunch outside smile and so had to tolerate the constant barking.

Have you heard of OneSight? It's a charity which provides free eye tests and glasses and they sent a contingent over from Australia this week. Lovely young people they were, every one.
Both Te Ropu and Salvation Army alerted me and these tests were at a Sallies hall.

Karen has needed new glasses for a while but refuses to go alone and when I say I’ll go with her, doesn’t want to inconvenience me. (even though it wouldn’t). So this was the ideal time for a little gentle blackmail on my part.
“I’ll go if you will.”
My eyes have deteriorated badly since the last test but now we are both set up for new specs and these will be my last. The optician said I’d come to the margin of where any form of lens could help.

Grammaretto I was always in the front row at school as well – that was the only way the teacher could stop me talking!
Oh dear, your poor DS3; let’s hope he’s a quick healer.
Seems you are Doodle with your fingers already loosening up a bit. Keep wiggling but don’t overdo it please.
Your DGD does indeed sound elegant. I hope she had a lovely time.
We didn’t have school balls when I was young (apart from netballs) but I have a photo of DS2 in a fancy waistcoat and suit, already towering over his 6ft brother even at 15. So I agree, our young ones are getting taller.

Grammaretto Mon 29-May-23 09:57:23

DMiL died yesterday. It had to happen so I shouldn't be surprised or sad. My goodness she had a good long innings and was reciting poetry till the end.
Her son, my son and his son were with her as she breathed her last but they couldn't quite believe it.
DDiL (a nurse) was summoned and ofcourse confirmed.
What a perfect way to go, in the summer sunshine surrounded by loved ones.
Much have I travelled in the realms of gold from on first looking into Chapman's Homer by Keats.
I wasn't there but had gone to the church where DH is memorialised. So quite appropriate.
I daresay there will be things to do but today I shall just be quietly thinking of the great lady.

Grammaretto Mon 29-May-23 10:02:57

I am pleased to hear you will have an eye test and new glasses Kaimoana and I hope Karen does too.

It looks like I won't have to go private after all for my cataract op. I just had a letter from the NHS to tell me that they are trying to reduce waiting lists and sending patients to private clinics. It will be a bit of a wait but months not years, I imagine.

CherryCezzy Mon 29-May-23 12:05:47

Grammaretto I am really sorry to read your news about your DMiL. As you say, it had to happen at some point. I'm glad she had loved ones with her, and there's a certain poignancy that you were at the church where your DH is memorialized. Sending you a big warm cwtch 💐 xx

CherryCezzy Mon 29-May-23 20:56:47

Hello lobStars

Sorry to hear that your DS3 has broken his ankle Grammaretto . Fancy the TV cameras being there whilst he was at A&E and that his visit may have been captured on camera not sure it's the best way to end up on tele though.

I don't know why Doodle but I'm always wary of buying clothes on Amazon. You sound like you've had a positive experience would you say I don't really need to be wary? Apart from the dress you bought the other day have you bought any other clothes?
How is your hand today?

No I haven't heard of OneSight Kaimoana but it sounds like a good charity. Well done for managing to persuade Karen to get her eyes tested 😁. I'm glad you've had yours tested and will have new specs yourself and I hope they will help you for as long as possible.

I thought I'd share a picture I managed to take the other day on one of my walks.

Kaimoana2 Mon 29-May-23 21:23:47

Of course you should be sad Grammareto. When we lose someone, it's often ourselves we are sad for; that we'll no longer have their wonderful company.
Later, we can come to appreciate all the times we had -but it can take a while. Give yourself permission to grieve.

She was indeed a great lady, god bless her.
I can't think of a better way to leave than reciting poetry, how beautiful.

It does seem as if All Things conspired to take her and position you at right time and place.

flowers

Doodle Mon 29-May-23 22:45:06

Oh Grammaretto I’m so sorry. I know how fond you were of your DMIL. It was good she was enjoying life until recently and hopefully had a peaceful end with loved ones beside her. How apt that you were at the church where your DH is memorialised. You will miss her I’m sure.
I do hope you get the cataract done on the NHS. It would be good if it was.
Kaimoana so pleased you and Karen went together for your eye tests and both getting new glasses. I Hope there is some improvement for you.
No I never had any school balls either. I did go to a school party when I was 7. I had a beautiful white dress with a red chiffon overlay with red borders. It was very pretty and I felt like a princess.
Cherry I have bought 3 things from Amazon clothes wise.
A soft sleeveless top which was very nice. The long dress which I like and a pair of grey trousers that are nothing like they appeared in the photos. A thick and hard fabric and I doubt I’ll wear them.
No I wouldn’t recommend them. I think it’s purely hit and Miss. nothing beats actually seeing the garment first.
Lovely photo. Can’t wait to see the sea again. Should have had a break by the sea but had a break in my wrist instead. 😥
It’s fine thanks. The back of my hand is still black and bruised but the swelling is going down gradually no more stabbing pains just dull ache now and then.
Hope you are doing ok.

Grammaretto Tue 30-May-23 07:42:18

Thankyou dear friends. I will miss her, my DMiL very much. She took an interest in everything right until the end.

Sorry that your hand is still black and blue Doodle but glad the stabbing pain has gone. I hope you get your break by the sea.

I have bought garments online but usually known brands that cost a fortune new and if I see them on eBay I bid. Outdoor clothing mainly.

I miss jumble sales! What became of them? Both my hall stand, a hatstand and 2 armchairs were bought at jumble sales and my DC clothes and toys when they were small.

A lovely photo Cherry thankyou.

There's a funeral today . I was at his DW funeral only a matter of weeks ago. They were a strong team who did much good in the community. They started the first Oxfam shop and later raised money for a day centre for the elderly where DMiL went twice a week until her move.

My NZ cousins are coming today. They will cheer me up. He is my cousin - she the 10 pound pom.

Mamissimo Tue 30-May-23 08:46:51

Good morning 🙂
So sorry Grammaretto for your loss - your DMiL's place in your family was a joy to read about and I found myself thinking that way she died was the way most of us wish for - in the company of loved ones and gently. A life well lived.

....and we're back from Norway and golly it's sweltering here! We had an amazing trip and are so glad we went. Over the two weeks we drove over 1500km and enjoyed every moment....I even enjoyed the brown cheese! It's one of the more unusual foods I've enjoyed in my life but once you tell yourself to think of it as a caramel that looks like cheese but is reminiscent of peanut butter it's OK. Especially with jam....🥴

We were able to see some of the best bits off the beaten tourist tracks and found peace, beauty and stillness in abundance. The photo is taken early one morning on a little lake not far from Loen. Perfect!

DD2 is 30 weeks this week and is having a challenging time. She has gestational diabetes and high blood pressure so has to inject herself with thinners - and the hospital is monitoring her very closely as they think Spud may need to arrive early. She's having a 4D scan on Thursday and Mr M and I are able to go too. They didn't have those in my day.....they fill me with awe being able to see so much detail so clearly.

DS kept Fergal cat company successfully and dealt with the mice and bird gifts reasonably well.....he forgot to water the stuff in the greenhouse......but watered a couple of pots of mostly weeds behind the shed diligently! 😖 That's eight tomato plants, six peppers and a load of parsley gone.

DD 1 has been in Turkey and arrives home at lunchtime today and it's going to be busy - I'm having X-rays for my dodgy knee and hip, blood test for suspected Vit B12 deficiency....and `mr am is having a tooth out.

I need a holiday!

Doodle Tue 30-May-23 22:03:49

Grammaretto glad your cousins are arriving today. That should lift your spirits. How long are they staying with you?
Your friend died very quickly after his wife. Must be a shock for the family so close together.
I have just bought a pair of sandals on eBay 😱. Never done that before. They were quite cheap so I’m not expecting much but I have tried everywhere to get something light and flat but they all seem to have such huge heels or big straps. I will let you know what they are like.
Mamissimo that’s a lovely place you visited. Makes me feel calm and tranquil just looking at the photo,
So glad you had a nice time. Your trip sounds very special.
4d scan. Wow not seen one of those. You must be getting excited. Hope your DD is coping ok.
Hope the X-ray and tooth extraction go ok. Glad Fergal survived ok without you,
Going to church in the morning. DH is going to drop me off as I can’t drive at the moment. Then coffee and watercolours with friend in the afternoon plus a trip to the barbers with DH. I have to go with him as he can’t manage the steps without me helping him.

Grammaretto Tue 30-May-23 23:06:17

Thank you so much for your sympathy Lobstars.
Today's funeral was very good if funerals can be good. He was a very much loved man
It was hoped that after his DW died he could enjoy some time to himself he had nursed her as she declined with dementia but his own illness took over.

..My cousins arrived and we talked over tea in the garden. The sunshine has been wonderful but I have very few summer clothes. I made cauliflower cheese with Jersey Royals and salad from the garden.
I took them to the folk club tonight which we all enjoyed. We all sang the Rowan Tree.

You had such a wonderful holiday in Norway Mamissimo and how exciting to be meeting Spud quite soon. I hope your DD lasts out these last weeks.
A pity that DS forgot the greenhouse.

I hope your new sandals turn up and fit perfectly Doodle

CherryCezzy Wed 31-May-23 16:30:40

I know what you mean about a good funeral Grammaretto. It's such a shame that your friend died so soon after his DW, I've seen it happen with a few couples I've known, very hard on loved ones 😞. I'm glad he had a good send off.
I'm glad your NZ cousins have arrived and you have their company to bring you comfort so soon after your DMiL's death. Your time spent with them in the garden sounds lovely and I'm pleased they enjoyed their time at the folk club.
No idea where jumble sales have gone, I miss them too. I used to pick up some bargains, I still have bits and pieces I bought over 30 years ago. When we're all meant to be recycling more it's strange that they've disappeared. We do have a couple of decent charity shops in the village, I bought myself a lovely summer dress last year. Do you have any decent ones near you? If you do maybe you'll be lucky like I've been.

I'm glad you're not having the stabbing pains anymore Doodle. How are you getting on with the splint?
I'm a bit like you, I'm not overly keen on online shopping for clothes as I too like to see what I'm buying and feel the fabric. Thanks for the advice, I think I might give Amazon a miss.
🤞 The sandals will be lovely and fit like a glove.

I enjoyed my group walk in the sun yesterday 😁. Quite a different day today spent visiting three pharmacies (and the GP's) 🙄

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion