Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang still chatting

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Sun 12-Feb-23 20:38:09

Hello all. The last thread finished abruptly.
Hope everyone finds the new one. I’ll send up flares.
All are welcome to join in

Jan16 Mon 20-Feb-23 20:40:45

Hello Everyone. Pleased to hear all in NZ are ok and the Gramaretto enjoyed the trip to Cambridge. Although we’re only 40 miles away I haven’t been there for years. Always preferred Norwich for shopping but as with all cities so many shops have closed and somehow shopping isn’t the same.
We’re having a medical and recreational week. Can see I’m going to be shattered by the end of it! Had physio here this morning. She went and 15 mins later a friend arrived. She stayed for over 2 hours and lovely as it was to chat for so long I was worn out when she went! Tomorrow morning I have an MRI on my head to see if I still have a brain! Doesn’t feel much like it at the moment. Not looking forward to the MRI but has to be done. Weds I see an Accupuncturist although I don’t think the Accupuncture is doing much good but I’ll give it a bit longer. Thursday physio again then friends round in the afternoon. Fri morning coffee with friends and then GP in the afternoon. Sat morning DH has a pacemaker check at the hospital! Phew!
Doodle hope you’re getting some better nights. Going without sleep is not good. Cherry hope you are doing well too and your football team are winning every match!
Have a nice glass of wine next to be brought by Jeeves - also known as DH. Poor man must be worn out doing just about everything. Bless him he’s a gem.
Has anyone heard from Nfk? Hope things are as well as can be with them.
Well I will drink my wine and complain that there’s nothing to watch on TV and whinge about my MRI tomorrow!

Kaimoana2 Mon 20-Feb-23 20:49:55

Hello firdaus19 how lovely to meet you, I hope you stay with us if you can.

I'm a Paul Gallico fan as well and have Libby, in fact it's the only way I can read these days.
The Snow Goose was wonderful but heart-breaking too.

Oh Grammaretto that architecture, isn't it just wonderful?
You sound relaxed and happy - just what you need and deserve. smile

No, not a knitted dog but a scheme I've just discovered, a sort of, 'rent a dog' for people who are out all day so why get a rescue dog? and their pet needs company and affection.
More later....

I too was wondering about Nfk, Jan and Missedout and hoping for good news.

I am reading a fascinating book at the moment. The Book of Roads and Kingdoms not everyone's cuppa but definitely mine.

www.harpercollins.com.au/9780733342592/the-book-of-roads-and-kingdoms

I even learned that Charlemagne's advisor, close friend and mentor, Alcuin (whom Charles said was the most learned scholar in the world) was a Yorkshireman!

Yes, I think Gubbins will like her wee bag - my problem is to hold back until distant Easter - I want to give them now!

The pics are Alcuin who looks tall and handsome in his statue but squat and dumpy in the illustrated manuscript.
grin

Doodle Mon 20-Feb-23 21:30:13

Kaimoana I love those bags they are so pretty.
Ooh I wonder what you mean. Can’t wait to hear.
I hope it’s not a knitted one (I know I knitted sheep for the knitivity but not sure a sheepdog would be any more successful
😳)
Grammaretto so pleased the party went well. What a lovely day you had. Exploring and remembering. The weather was good. Things always look better in the sunshine. Who did you have punting you I wonder (was it a handsome young man)
(Sorry does that sound a bit rude? I’m not sure what they call punters 😲) the picture is lovely. It all looks so relaxing and a cream tea to follow. What could be better?
firdaus thank you. That’s interesting. I have Libby too. I will look it up.
Jan DH went for his physio session today too. Although his are just gentle balance exercises he’s worn out after.
Hope the MRI goes well. ( Im sure the brain is still there because the sense of humour is 😊)
Wow you have got a busy week. Hope you enjoy coffee with friends and your DHs check goes without a problem.
Yes a good night would be helpful thank you. Dh already has cramp in his hands so not looking too hopeful at the moment.
Kaimoana that does sound really interesting. I do hope something comes of it. Could be beneficial all ways round.
I’m glad you don’t need me to knit you a dog. I’ve had a look and all I’ve got is bright blue or pink wool. Not seen many dogs that colour. I think Gubbins will love her bag.

CherryCezzy Mon 20-Feb-23 21:45:15

I'm pleased that the party was a great success and your DBiL enjoyed it, reading between the lines I think you did too, I hope so. What a beautiful day you had for capturing that gorgeous photo of the bridge of signs Grammaretto 😍
Shame nobody there at the Quaker meeting remembered your mum, that would have been nice. Those there do sound like a nice group of people though.
I love a wander around a gallery, what galleries did you visit? I haven't been to Cambridge for many years, I'd love to visit the Fitzwilliam Museum again.
My telephone appointment with my neurologist is in April Grammaretto.

Not sure I'd trust Jeeves' (sorry Jeeves) footballing advice unless he can perform an actual miracle Doodle 🤣.
Only being up once last night does sound better but Doodle you and your DH must be worn out all the same. I hope you have another decent or indeed better night tonight x

Ah Kaimoana it is amazing isn't it, the fact that this planet spins at 1000 miles an hour and without realising it, except when we look up, we are hurtling round at pace (and through space). We live on one tiny planet in the sea of space with a billion billion stars ... that is amazing.

I had my repeat eye test today which gave the same result as the first and apparently the prescription is correct confused. I couldn't see properly with the lenses though, very peculiar 🤔 I was told today however, something that I wasn't told when I had my eye test on the 10th - I have cataracts developing in each eye. I've decided to keep my old lenses and they rang to see if they could get me the same frames that I've got already. They've been ordered now so I'll soon be able to give my old ones the send off they deserve 😊

Kaimoana2 Tue 21-Feb-23 04:06:33

I may or may not have a solution (other than my eye drops) smile Cherry

Use your old glasses if it feels easier BUT please try to keep using the new ones as well - possibly when you are just resting rather relying on them.

'Why?' you ask, looking daggers in the direction of NZ.
Daggers are not good for the eyes either, by the way. wink

When you get new glasses, unless the prescription is identical (nd even then it still happens), your eyes play up because your brain perceives something different.

Of course we say it's the eyes - but what controls our eyes?

It's the same with most things. If your brain is used to a pattern, it gets into a groove and you have to gradually break it of the habit. That is what's happening to Jan at the moment (I think).

As well as physio for the physical, muscular aspect, she will probably be doing exercises to re-pattern the damaged areas of her brain to persuade the undamaged areas to take over.

The brain is plastic and can easily do this (easy for the brain not for us as it takes time)

Does any of this make sense?

Your glasses won't feel right at first but you have to re-pattern the old grey matter. Show it who's boss smile

If you are only just developing cataracts, that shouldn't affect your eyes yet, just a bit misty.

When we all go over to telephone consultations with our GPs, how will the doctor listen to our hearts or palpate our tummies, or in my case, use the otoscope to diagnose my otitis media?

There's probably an app!!

grin

Grammaretto Tue 21-Feb-23 09:42:42

Snap Cherry I have cataracts in both my eyes and a year-long waiting list for the op. October will be a year. I phone occasionally to remind them that I'll take a cancellation.
I can still drive but I don't know for how long.
You are quite right I have enjoyed this time so much. Having my DB and his DP here too, which I didn't expect and DBiL brother and his DP a bonus.
Off to the station now. Bye bye Cambridge.

Jan16 Tue 21-Feb-23 16:04:22

Kaimoana. So how do you manage to break the brain out of its groove?! I think my brain is well and truly stuck and is not trying to reset! No no exercises to re pattern the damaged areas of my brain unfortunately just physical ones. When I was in hospital I never imagined how difficult life would be once I was home. (I will stop moaning in a minute but just one more moan) sorry! I’m just back from my MRI. So how come a 20 min scan on my head with horrendous noises being fired at me could make me so exhausted?! Ok I’m going now!! Love to all

CherryCezzy Tue 21-Feb-23 19:21:16

Jan, there is such a thing as MRI fatigue and it's not uncommon, so it's not just you. I was told about it before my first MRI in 1997. I remember feeling quite disorientated, heavy and dog tired after my first MRI. I felt very strange (there's not a better way I can express how I felt) another time and on one occasion I needed a short sleep straight away after and was put in a recovery room attached to the department. It's peculiar but there's nothing to suggest exactly why it happens and the scans are perfectly safe. They are bl***y noisy though!
Don't be hard on yourself Jan, the way you are feeling is quite normal, be kind to yourself.
Kaimoana is correct, the brain is quite elastic and it can and does make new pathways. The physical exercises you are doing are playing their part in configuring new neural pathways. They are not only physical exercises, after all the control centre of every movement we make is the brain. It is clear to me, honestly, from what you have told us, about the progresses (no matter how negligible you perceive them to be) you have made since those first days in hospital after your stroke that your brain is already configuring new pathways. I do feel for you, you're frustrated, the things that were automatic eg. walking, feel nigh on impossible. Remember what I've said before - you think you'll never get there and you start to think you can't possibly improve beyond where you are - Keep going! It can happen, you can improve x
You have got a busy week ahead of you and 😬 you might well be shattered at the end of it but enjoy having your friends round on Thursday and your coffee morning on Friday and then breathe and relax (and snooze if you need to) this weekend.

Kaimoana2 Tue 21-Feb-23 20:14:59

Everyone but Jan, feel free to skip this post

Dear Jan you're not moaning, you are expressing justifiable doubts and fears – you’re allowed. smile

Re-patterning: I first knew of this in 1956 when my mother joined a re-patterning team.
They went to a brain-injured little boy who was under the care of IAHP (https://iahp.org/about)
who believed, decades before it was a proven fact, that the undamaged parts of the brain could be persuaded, by phyical actions, to take over from the damaged ones.

It had begun with adult stroke victims but went on to help brain-hurt children.

How? By daily (at least) exercises. Mum’s team worked for months, in relays,"making" the little chap crawl by manipulating his limbs in those motions. He thought it was great fun.

He had been inarticulate and inert in bed until this therapy started and over the first year he learned to move his legs then crawl, not without help at first.
Eventually, he became a confident happy child, walking, talking and at school.

He had been injured at 2 years, I think and the re-patterning took 5 years but for him and his parents, well worth it.

The programme, begun 20 years before, was in its infancy in UK.
It may have changed but it's still going strong and has helped thousands of children and adults.

The philosophy behind it? If you could make the body mimic what it would do if the brain had not been injured, it will teach the brain how to do it all again, by using undamaged brain cells.

You’ve seen a little of this when you were (probably) forced to try walking and other actions.

It's laborious, tedious and needs huge amounts of perseverance.

I'm guessing most post-stroke patients get too tired and fed up and almost certainly have little or no support to encourage them to keep at it. You have an amazing partner who keeps you working at it and that's a key factor to success.

But it takes time. Stick with it dear Jan you are already heaps better than you were. wink

Have you been put in touch with others in your situation so you can encourage one another? That works for some people.

Okay, normal service will now be resumed, please tune to your usual channel.
grin

Jan16 Tue 21-Feb-23 20:26:10

Thanks so much to Kaimona and CherryChezzy. It was good to know about MRI fatigue. I just couldn’t believe how exhausted I felt after lying on a bed for around 20 mins! I’m beginning to feel better now and yes Cherry it’s unbelievabley b….y noisy! Thought they were going to drill though my head at one stage! You have both cheered me up and given me hope again. Thank you both so much

Doodle Tue 21-Feb-23 20:34:43

Cherry Jeeves assures me he’s a champion scorer……..I assume he means football 🤔
Thank you. Yes hoping for a peaceful night tonight. We are both quite tired.
Crumbs hurtling round at 1000 miles an hour… no wonder I feel dizzy.
Sorry about the cataracts. I expect it will be a while before you are offered eye surgery. They kept telling DH his were bad but not bad enough. He’s very pleased now he’s had them both done.
Can you wait till April for your appointment? Hope you don’t need to speak to someone urgently. At least it’s this year!
Kaimoana yes I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. You made me laugh thinking of an app that could examine our bodies. I can imagine laying on the bed and putting the screen on your tummy to check out your insides.
Not so far fetched I suppose. We already have virtual Gp s
How are things there now, is the ground drying out yet?
Grammaretto so pleased you had such a nice time in Cambridge and had an unexpected meet up with family.
Hope your journey home is less eventful than the one down.
Cherry I haven’t heard about MRI fatigue before. I’ve never had one. DH has had a couple but his last brain scan recently was a CT one in a machine like a donut. That was quite noisy too. I was in another room but I could hear it.
That’s a nice post to Jan.
I’m crocheting a little basket to put some small Easter eggs in for giving to people (not that they’ll want them but it gives me something to do and they look cute). Have I already said that I’m a previous post 🤔?
Church tomorrow and the start of Lent. I’m missing my chocolate already.
Feeling tired tonight as I’ve been doing battle with cardboard boxes. Living in a flat we have communal bins and we have a large recycling bin. Obviously we are all required to break down the boxes so they are flat and don’t take up so much room. Rolly came in a very thick heavy duty cardboard package shaped to fit around him. It very nearly beat me. At one point I was standing on one edge trying to flatten it when the opposite side rose up and whacked me on the back. I retaliated quickly and stomped on it but then the middle buckled up and got wedged under the hall radiator. You will be pleased to know I won in the end and it’s all safely in the bin ready for collection……..should I warn the bin med it might fight back 😲

CherryCezzy Tue 21-Feb-23 21:38:39

I can't wear my new glasses at all Kaimoana because I don't have them. I refused them and got my money back. I know exactly what you are saying and am in complete agreement re. brain elasticity, I'm proof of the pudding in that regard. I'm convinced that there was something not quite right with the prescription - nearly every single part of the eye test was guesswork on my part and I told them that. I'm convinced the lenses were a best guess, even if it was an educated one. I can see pretty much everything I need to see the the glasses I've got, I'm just finding distance reading (and nothing else) slightly more difficult. I need to see an optician again in a year's time anyway because of the cataracts. I can always go elsewhere next year.

We're in the same boat then Grammaretto, with cataracts rather than on a catamaran. It's only just been picked up that they're developing in my case so it's too early for me to be referred, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll fit you in for surgery before October 🤞.
I'm so pleased that you had such a wonderful time in Cambridge, I hope you are home safely without detours, and not too exhausted, now 😊

I'm sure your DH is pleased now he's had ops for his cataracts and I'm glad he had them Doodle.
🤔 Not sure you got the right end of the stick with Jeeves ... I think he scores well down the pub playing darts 😱 🤣
You've caught the crocheting bug now then? I do like the sound of your easter baskets 😊
I shouldn't have, but I did, laughed at your wrangles with the cardboard but anything that involves resorting to stomping to tackle a problem has that effect on me 😅
I hope you both have a good night tonight.

I'm tired after my long walkie talkie earlier today and I have a swollen foot 🙄.
I'll have my hot chocolate now Jeeves please and a foot soak.
Night night lobStars 😴

Kaimoana2 Wed 22-Feb-23 01:01:50

Sorry my link didn't work. I have cut and past a little from IAHP and a new link. Hope this one work.

The brain has tremendous plasticity. It can recover, it can get better. Brain-injured children are hurt: not damaged, not diseased, they are hurt. Treating the symptoms of injury to the brain without addressing the brain itself will fail. Surgery and medication are often used to try to eliminate a distressing symptom. The answer is not to be found in the medicine cabinet but in stimulation and opportunity. This is a more conservative treatment, a safer treatment, a cost-effective treatment, and most important of all a treatment that works.

iahp.org

Kaimoana2 Wed 22-Feb-23 04:39:54

There's a huge amount of data on how noise is fatiguing.
It's been studied in the workplaces, cities, sports venues, supermarkets and mall (music you can't get away from)and other environments.

Unsurprising that a noisy MRI does the same.

It's not healthy sleep though but brain-fag, a neurological protective mechanism.

Some researchers have even said that having TV and/or radio on all day at home can be detrimental, especially to the development of the brain in young children, affect the ability to learn.

The flickering TV screen is also proven to be harmful as it jumps from scene to scene every second or so, leading to a reduced capacity to focus and remember.

So coupled with the constant noise........ shock

I'd use that as my excuse for my memory problems if I'd ever had a TV but I knew all this when my children were small.

I'll try not to post for the rest of the week, I seem to be overwhelming this thread sad hmm

Mamissimo Wed 22-Feb-23 11:07:31

Good morning 🙂

We got back late last night from a too cheap to turn down last minute holiday to South Africa to go on safari and then to see penguins family. Mr M says he needs another holiday to process everything we saw and did and I think I agree 🙂 but I've got to do some washing and gardening and quilting first.

For the first time in recent years we didn't communicate with the offspring while we were away so they're all agog and coming this weekend .I can confirm that elephants are big and grass goes swishy swishy.....and penguins smell fishy!

I can't tell you how pleased I am to skim read backwards and discover that all the Lobstars are continuing to push back against the buggerations of life with so much spirit and wry humour.

H Beagle is returning today from her holiday with DS, Fergal seems to have large eyes a wide variety of catnip toys, and normal service will be resumed once I've had a proper sleep tonight.

It was lovely to escape for most of February but even nicer to come home.

Grammaretto Wed 22-Feb-23 16:12:03

Amazing trip Mamissimo !
I'd love to hear more about it and what you saw.

I have big news.
The deeds arrived in the post.
I still think I have a copy somewhere but my wonderful tenacious df kept on at everyone including me until the new lawyer sent for new copies. It's only 5 pages and a map so not the whole thing but enough for my needs.

I have just come from DMiL. She isn't well and confined to her couch. There is still no date for the Edinburgh house being safe enough to move back into.

DGD is unwell too. She has a perforated ear drum and is quite deaf. Her DP thought she wasn't listening. She wasn't. But she couldn't hear the school bell or her friends so it's serious.

You all seem to be mending, albeit slowly.

Here's some chocolate for you Doodle

Kaimoana2 Wed 22-Feb-23 19:10:10

Oh dear your poor Mil - it's not surprising she upset with all the upheael.
And your poor little GD.

But inDEED that part is great nes.

CherryCezzy Wed 22-Feb-23 21:21:55

Sorry to hear that your DMiL is unwell Grammaretto and that she's still unable to move back into the house, they keep pushing that back don't they. Your poor DGD, it must be quite unsettling for her, scary thing to happen. Should heal perfectly well on its own, but meanwhile still scary. I hope they both recover soon.
Yay inDeedy 🥳, Brilliant news! I'm so happy that you have the deeds even if they're a little incomplete. Well done your tenacious friend, 💐 for her and 🥂 for you both!

Thanks for the link Kaimoana, it highlights a sensible approach I think.

Doodle Wed 22-Feb-23 21:26:35

Cherry I’m glad you refused your glasses. DH and I have both had to return/refuse pairs that weren’t right. I took my pair back as I really couldn’t see where I was going. When they checked them they found one of the lenses was completely wrong,
DH was really pleased to get both his eyes done. He was finding things increasingly difficult and getting headaches. Probably is darts Jeeves is good at although he says you’re missing out on seeing him in his shorts. He thinks he has very handsome knees.
I will show you a picture of my crochet basket when I’ve finished it./them .
Thank you. I hope you sleep well too.
Kaimoana I am quite noise sensitive. I can’t really listen to background music. I find my brain concentrates on the music rather than someone talking. I like the quiet……all the better to hear my tinnitus with 🤣
What! Not post for the rest of the week. Don’t you dare. We’d miss you far too much. I like your posts. You always find something interesting to share.
Mamissimo wow that’s a surprise. What a lovely trip and how exciting. DH has been on Safari in SA many years ago. He stayed in a hut on stilts. What a wonderful experience.
Glad you’re back home safely. Hope Honey beagle and Fergus are ok. Bet they’re pleased to see you back.
Grammaretto no, not the deeds! We should have a party to celebrate. I bet you find the originals now.
Your Df is a star.
Sorry your Dmil isn’t well. Is she still living in her old house?
Sorry about your DGD too. That sounds quite painful. Hope she will be ok soon.
That’s cruel 🤣. .you can’t tempt me. Instead of a delicious portion of dark chocolate with my coffee tonight I had a delightfully exotic……..rich tea biscuit. 😥

Grammaretto Wed 22-Feb-23 22:28:42

Sorry about that chocolate 🍫 Doodle. It must have got lost in the post but a rich tea is more appropriate for Lent.grin

Thanks for your kind messages for my poorly rellies. I am hopeful that DGD will get better but not so certain about DMiL.
She is still in the old house which lacks all the special things such as her chair and new bed but they are fortunate that it's not been sold.

Everyone was pleased about the deeds and we were trying to decipher them. Lots of archaic legal terms, and Scots at that, but the map shows the boundary clearly.

Your mention of being noise sensitive reminds of the train journey.
A baby who continually wailed apart from when it was asleep and a group of very loud, sweary, rather drunk girls who got off in Newcastle, thankfully. Next to me was a food inspector. I immediately thought of Basil Fawlty and asked him if he'd ever been bribed or ever found rats. He said no to both. grin

I'm having vanilla rooibos again. I think it helps me to sleep. Tomorrow is another day.
In the words of Rhett Butler

Kaimoana2 Thu 23-Feb-23 07:12:55

I'm a bit sad tonight.

You remember my good friend Rangi? She went to visit family in Melbourne at Christmas. While she was there, her son flew to NZ, gave notice on her elder's flat and packed it up. shock
She's in her 80's, fiercely independent and not entitled to health care in Oz, so this cannot have been her choice. I shall miss her.

Then another friend died very suddenly on Tuesday; I heard about it today.
He was the photographer for all the events we old codgers go to, as well as being the official photographer for the major cultural festivals here.
His pictures were also used in children's books.

A funny, kindly man who got along with everyone, he was made homeless in 2021 when a tornado irreparably damaged his home.

Another house was built on the site and he moved in just 5 months ago.

Grammaretto Thu 23-Feb-23 08:09:04

So sorry to hear about your friends and neighbours Kaimoana.
Life can be a real bummer at times

Mamissimo Thu 23-Feb-23 11:40:53

Oh Kaimoana how sad for your friend. I sometimes think that old age is like toddlerdom at times - we are fiercely striving for independence but are subject to the interference and whims of family and state to 'keep us safe and well". It's ok if everyone respects us - but he'll if not` !

Doodle Thu 23-Feb-23 21:14:48

Grammaretto I’m enjoying my rich tea biscuit…….really I am 😳. I’m sorry for your Mil. When you reach a certain age you just want a peaceful life without hassle.
Glad you can locate your boundary now you have the deeds. That’s really important to know what’s yours. Is it where you thought it was?
We’ve had a few train journeys like that. Mind you we did have a good one to Bath once. We sat in a carriage opposite two lawyers who were discussing a bid to buy a large plot of land and the pros and cons. DH and I were so nosey interested that we didn’t speak much and the journey passed in a flash.
Kaimoana I’m sorry about your friend, I realise why her son did it but I think he should have spoken to her about it first. You will miss her. Sorry also about your other friend who died on Tuesday. He didn’t get long in his new home did he.
Can’t think of much to cheer you up so sending you one of Cherry’s cwtches 🤗 with love.
Mamissimo hope you’re plodding your way through the washing and ironing. How is Honey beagle doing?

Kaimoana2 Fri 24-Feb-23 00:29:01

Thank you all.
My reliable therapy is always in the kitchen (no, not the booze smile) so I made a spiced fruit loaf which DS and Gubbins will probably slice and butter tomorrow.

We'd planned to go to West Lynn Gardens to see the butterflies but it began raining yesterday evening and hasn't stopped since. There's a little lightning bolt and raindrops on the Met Service icon for Saturday.
www.westlynngarden.org.nz/index2.html

I am content for Vince, he was taking photos at the time and just died. An ideal way tost go but devastating for his family.

I'm not so sanguine about Rangi but there's nothing I can do. No one even has an address for her. sad

To balance the scale.
We have a hardware store chain here from whom I tried to buy and pay for a small, folding table online, to be delivered.

The form wouldn't let me, it needed a mobile phone number. I'd don't have one. I sent a message. 'Try again' said CS.
I did. Same result. I told them not to worry, I'd go to their rivals.
(I'd already been - didn't like their tables wink)

I got an immediate email from a Manager asking which table I wanted and telling me it would be delivered free. Excellent.

When it arrived yesterday, I asked the young chap how I was going to pay for the table if the form wouldn't advance to payment options without a cell number.
He said, 'You don't need to, the table is free as well.'
grin

The company who runs the rent-a-dog scheme also gave me free, full membership because I wrote such a good profile!!

Sometimes the world loves me smile

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion