Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Remembrance Day v Adverts

(23 Posts)
Georgesgran Thu 02-Nov-23 17:43:14

Driving home tonight, there was a mention that some people are questioning if it’s appropriate have Christmas Adverts on TV before Remembrance Sunday.

It set me thinking, although I haven’t seen any Christmas Ads yet.

How do other GNs feel?

Joseann Thu 02-Nov-23 17:52:39

The M & S food one came out today. Dawn French does the voice-over.
I think John Lewis usually waits until after Remembrance Sunday.

maddyone Thu 02-Nov-23 17:54:45

I’ve never thought about it before but I think it is appropriate to wait till after Rememberance Sunday.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Nov-23 17:57:36

John Lewis Christmas advert is expected to be released on Thursday 9/11/23.

Apparently it is usually released on a Thursday after Bonfire Night.

Louella12 Thu 02-Nov-23 18:02:01

I don't really mind.

However all the Christmas adverts I've seen this year are rubbish

Moonwatcher1904 Thu 02-Nov-23 18:02:56

I agree Georgesgran. We will be bombarded soon enough but I wish they would have the decency to wait until after Remembrance Sunday.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Nov-23 18:04:37

I would agree with maddy. It’s sad that Remembrance Sunday has less significance now. I suppose the big commercial concerns want to get in there first - but do the first ads actually convince people to buy?

Georgesgran Thu 02-Nov-23 18:07:13

Thanks for the input - it set me thinking and I think I’d prefer to wait. Those young men and women gave their lives, so I think we could give a few days before consumerism takes over.

Rosie51 Thu 02-Nov-23 18:20:47

The only one I know that always waited for Remembrance Sunday to pass before showing their Christmas advert is Sainsbury's. It was always a matter of principle that they waited. Who can forget their touching one from 2014 that marked the Christmas Day truce of 1914? That aired on 12th November. I think they still do.

NotSpaghetti Thu 02-Nov-23 18:27:59

I don't think they have anything to do with Remembrance Sunday - they are all businesses.

Remembrance Sunday isn't to do with Christmas at all as far as I'm concerned.

Re the Sainsbury's advert - yes, I thought it was clever - but I did also feel it was disrespectful to use that as part of an advert.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Nov-23 18:49:09

What I am finding disrespectful this year is the pro Palestine March being organised to take place in London on 11/11.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Nov-23 18:53:33

Really? I didn’t know that. Yes, totally disrespectful. I’m really appalled to hear that.

AmberSpyglass Thu 02-Nov-23 19:00:38

I really don’t see what the two have in common. I also absolutely think the pro Palestine march should go ahead on that date. What better time to call out military injustice?

maddyone Thu 02-Nov-23 19:05:42

GrannyGravy13

What I am finding disrespectful this year is the pro Palestine March being organised to take place in London on 11/11.

I agree, totally disrespectful.

MerylStreep Thu 02-Nov-23 19:07:31

GrannyGravy13

Noooooo 😱 give me strength.

Ilovecheese Thu 02-Nov-23 19:08:56

I don't see any connection between Remembrance Sunday and Christmas adverts and no disrespect in marching against war on Remembrance Sunday.

maddyone Thu 02-Nov-23 19:09:53

AmberSpyglass

I really don’t see what the two have in common. I also absolutely think the pro Palestine march should go ahead on that date. What better time to call out military injustice?

Remembrance isn’t about calling out military injustice, it’s about remembering members of our armed forces who fought and died to protect our ability to protest and live in a free society. My father was one of them. He didn’t die but he was injured fighting the Nazis. Your priorities are very confused if you think that Remembrance is about calling out military injustice.

Norah Thu 02-Nov-23 19:20:15

GrannyGravy13

Horribly disrespectful.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Nov-23 19:30:16

AmberSpyglass

I am appalled. Such disrespect for those who died to enable you to live in freedom is beyond words.

Louella12 Thu 02-Nov-23 19:33:30

Ilovecheese

I don't see any connection between Remembrance Sunday and Christmas adverts and no disrespect in marching against war on Remembrance Sunday.

You think it's fine for a pro Palestine war to take place on Remenbrance Sunday?

Wow ... just wow

Louella12 Thu 02-Nov-23 19:35:14

March, not war

I'm so stunned I'm getting words muddled

JaneJudge Thu 02-Nov-23 19:37:38

I know this is going to be unpopular but it is all to do with men, all of it. The vast majority of men that make decisions are in emotional deficit

All of our parts and conflicts and everything are to do with Willy waving but at least we have the castles

JaneJudge Thu 02-Nov-23 19:39:55

Sorry I meant in respect to the March, there have been so many posts since 😳