Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anti virals

(11 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 02-Dec-23 02:17:29

I’ve got Covid for the second time but this time I have started anti virals on the third day and they seem to be making a world of difference. I’m still positive but it looks like a weaker positive but the pills seem to have made me feel slightly more energetic and less congested than last time I had it, when the anti virals were not available. The worst thing is having to swallow 4 tablets at a time, makes me gag!

Llamedos13 Sat 02-Dec-23 03:05:38

Like you I too just had my second bout of covid and the pharmacy recommended taking the anti virals which i did for I think it was four days, taking three tablets at a time in the morning and again at night. I wasnt that sick with covid and don’t really know if I would have been sicker if I hadn’t taken them.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Dec-23 05:59:44

You ll never know …I ve had Covid twice and the second time was much quicker and lighter than the first and I didn’t take anything 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

YorkLady Sat 02-Dec-23 07:32:13

Llamedos13

Like you I too just had my second bout of covid and the pharmacy recommended taking the anti virals which i did for I think it was four days, taking three tablets at a time in the morning and again at night. I wasnt that sick with covid and don’t really know if I would have been sicker if I hadn’t taken them.

You can get anti virals from the pharmacy now?
I’m immunosuppressed and thought they had to be prescribed.
Hope you are feeling better nanna8

Marydoll Sat 02-Dec-23 07:59:31

I had to go for an anti viral infusion in hospital, because the tablets were deemed unsuitable for me. This stopped me from becoming seriously ill.

I thought you had to be immunocompromised to receive anti virals and that a clinician had to first look at your medical notes. In my case I had to contact a special number, spoke to a nurse, then a doctor. Later a pharmacist phoned me to say that I to go to hospital ASAP. You can't just walk into a pharmacy and just buy them, as far as I know.

In fact yesterday I received a letter from NHS Inform (Scotland) advising me of a new protocol if I catch Covid Heaven forbid and how to access texts and anti virals.

I hope you feel better soon, nanna*.

maddyone Sat 02-Dec-23 09:59:00

My daughter, who is a doctor advised me to check at my surgery if I was eligible for anti virals as I have asthma and it’s not under good control despite treatment, recently two lots of steroids so yesterday a chest X-ray which I’m sure won’t show anything up. My asthma has always been difficult difficult to control but it’s worse lately. Anyway, I asked the asthma nurse about the antivirals if I was to get Covid again but she just said they don’t prescribe them anymore. Since my daughter is a doctor and was living with me at home at the time (visiting from New Zealand) and therefore able to observe me, and she thought it would be a good idea, I thought it strange that there’s apparently a blanket policy of no prescribing.
I was given antiviral infusions when I was in hospital with Covid.

Marydoll Sat 02-Dec-23 11:23:39

The letter I received yesterday advised me I may be eligible for Coronovirus if I contracted it.

I have a number to call for free tests and a different one to call to discuss treatment, so it is definitely available here in Scotland.

The letter also states that you must be assessed by a clinician in case of contra-indications with other medication.
Therefore, I find it strange that anti virals can be sourced in a pharmacy. Here in Scotland the tablets are delivered by courier or you have to attend a day clinic for an infusion.

maddyone Sat 02-Dec-23 13:34:13

I wondered if it was different in Scotland Marydoll. My daughter keeps in touch via dr groups of what’s happening in the UK and she thought it could be put on my notes that I should get antivirals if I get Covid again. As a doctor, she said my asthma isn’t well enough controlled despite steroids and because I was hospitalised with Covid before that in her opinion it should be noted and used if I get it again.
I think you need antivirals more than I do Marydoll and find it difficult to believe that it couldn’t be put on your notes in preparation if you were in England.
Anyway it is what it is, but if I’m hospitalised with Covid again it will cost far more than a course of antivirals would cost. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

Marydoll Sat 02-Dec-23 14:38:17

I tried to scan the NHS letter and post it, but the file was too big Maddyone.
Fingers crossed, you don't catch it again. 💐

nanna8 Sun 03-Dec-23 06:46:28

I got charged just $6.50 for the antivirals but the true cost was well over $1,000. I had to be prescribed them by a GP, you can’t just buy them over the counter. My husband couldn’t get them because he had had Covid for 4 days which they said was too late to start them. He is negative now but I am still positive. Thanks, Marydoll I feel much better today thank goodness.

Marydoll Sun 03-Dec-23 07:20:29

Nanna, there is a very short window in which you can receive anti virals, hence the speedy response for me.
I was in hospital less than 24 hrs after contracting Covid from my asymptomatic granddaughter. I did have side effects, because I was already on biologics, but it was better that than dying!
Good to hear you are improving.