Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Sinus problems after Covid

(12 Posts)
paris123 Wed 24-Jan-24 15:25:44

hello everyone, not long joined this lovely forum, so im still looking around the site.
l just wanted to ask if anyone suffers with sinus problems after they caught covid > l was really ill 2 year ago when both myself and my husband caught covid. He recovered after 9 days but l was ill for over a month and lost a stone as couldnt eat. Along with all the other symptoms of covid l had bad sinus infection which dr said he couldnt treat as was part of the covid. l recovered but my sinus problems still flare up. Im just getting over another one now but have been treating it myself at home. It causes very painful headaches and
eye pain and this time photo phobia. Much better today but was wondering if anyone else has same problems after they got over covid.

boheminan Wed 24-Jan-24 16:26:04

Yes! I'm having the same experience. After a mild dose of Covid in September '23, a couple of weeks later I got sinusitis, which I'd not had before - the headache but also another sideline, blocked nostrils and The Smell (what I describe as 'dead rat').

10 weeks in I managed to get a phone call from my GP, she prescribed anti-biotics, but interestingly said she thought it could be a symptom of long covid. The antibiotics didn't work but I was on a course of different ones at the end of December for something else - they didn't stop it either.

Now, nearly 5 months in, I still have smelly sinusitis and I think what my GP suggested back then is probably the case...

Theexwife Wed 24-Jan-24 16:46:18

The best advice I received was to drink 2 litres of water a day, I suffered for many years and had many different medications, prescribed and over the counter. I thought I drank enough liquids in a day but not much water, having the water made a huge difference, it thins the mucus where as anything with caffeine makes you more dehydrated.

It is worth a try being free and easy to do.

Casdon Wed 24-Jan-24 17:11:15

Not related to Covid, but I developed a sinus problem just on one side, and it was eventually diagnosed after a dental X-ray as a silent infection caused by one of my teeth, which had caused me no pain but had tracked from the tooth root into the sinus. I’d never heard of this issue before.

vintage1950 Wed 24-Jan-24 17:19:28

Just a general remark. I find a salt spray very helpful in stopping sinusitis from developing with a cold or flu. There are various brands available over the counter from pharmacies. Ask the pharmacist or your GP if you're not sure whether it will interfere with other treatments or aggravate existing conditions.

boheminan Wed 24-Jan-24 17:22:35

Tried a salt spray and Pirinase, neither have workedsad

paris123 Thu 25-Jan-24 13:13:55

Thank you all so much for the replies, they are all really helpful.
l have found the radiator heating we have on at moment seems to make my sinus problems worse so have turned off the one in the bedroom and its helped a lot. ( l have severe ME and mostly bedbound ) Woke this morning with no sinus pain but as soon as l sat up felt like my head was going to explode. Decided to do half hour head and face massage and it really helped enough for me to be able to get on to my computor with the screen light on low due to the photo phobia. lv cut out all dairy as l heard that can cause sinus problems. Will drink more water as suggested. , lv got a telephone appointment call tomorrow with dr so will see what he has to say . Also that reply info about could be caused by tooth problem is interesting, ll get an appointment to check that out . Im taking such a lot of paracetamol daily for the last 3 weeks ( it doesnt help my M.E but helps with the sinus pain ) im hoping the dr will sort it out soon, thank you all again for replies, they have been so helpful.

BigBertha1 Thu 25-Jan-24 14:41:35

Hello Paris 123 and welcome. I'm sorry to hear of your problems and hope you soon get some relief.

paris123 Fri 26-Jan-24 15:23:55

BigBertha1

Hello Paris 123 and welcome. I'm sorry to hear of your problems and hope you soon get some relief.

thank you so much for reply.
im feeling a little better today. Had dr tel appointment this morning, Told her about the light sensitivity and my having to take painkillers around the clock. She told me l need to make a face to face appointment..Why couldnt they have done that in the first place, took me a week to just get the tel call from them sad
But saying that l do feel sorry for all dr surgeries, they really are very over stretched nowadays.

BigBertha1 Fri 26-Jan-24 15:32:00

They are indeed Paris 123. I was in the surgery this morning for routine blood test and checks and a woman was f ing and blinding at the desk as should couldn't get whatever it was she wanted. I went to the desk and she yelled at me about the queue I apologised, she glared at me stormed off and shouting 'Stupid Bitch' in passing. Now I agree with her on the second count but I'm not stupid that hurt.grin

Esmay Fri 26-Jan-24 19:21:06

Covid seems to be causing all kinds of problems .
The best treatment for Sinusitis is a Neti pot .
I bought mine from Boots .
I sterilise it with baby bottle sterilising tablets .
The water has to be boiled for a full ten minutes , before being cooled to a comfortable temperature .
You do have to be careful , but it works .

Ali08 Fri 02-Feb-24 10:11:25

Not sinus, exactly, but you know when you have a cold and get the feeling to cough up phlegm stuck in your throat? Well, I've been getting that whenever I lie down!
It doesn't seem to be a problem when I'm sitting up or standing, just whenever I lie down. It seems like it's been sitting there waiting for me to lie down so it can bother me. I now make noises like some phlegmy old man, kind of trying to get it up and out but I never seem to get much of it out.
We asked at the chemist for something for it but we're told because of medication I'm already on I'd have to see my doctor for something.