I guess so NotSpaghetti and our experience was similar when we moved to Edinburgh from Kent in 1975.
My job was to scour the property pages of the Thursday Scotsman sent to us and DH,
who had grown up in Edinburgh, would narrow the search, until we found one which was in the same street as his grandmother. We asked her to view it with his aunt. They approved so we put in an offer and it was ours.
On seeing it for the first time we were both rather shocked but we were happy there for 5 years until we found this one.....
We had only had one weekend here to house hunt and hadn't bid enough on a house we had really liked .
Gransnet forums
Coronavirus
🦞 The Lockdown Gang still chatting 🦞
(657 Posts)Yes another new thread. A gentle chat for old friends and new
Good Morning Lobstars...I have finally removed my head from where it has been firmly stuck up my a..e. and apologise for being so inward looking.
Thank you for all your lovely words after my outpouring of emotions. I'm still struggling at times but we are in
Maevemouse back in Wales and walking on the beach is working it's magic healing as always. Now back to far more important matters....
Grammaretto I do feel your pain re packing up...I was on first name terms with the guys at the recycling centre... DH had already started his new position here and only back every 2 weeks and I used to try and pack 2 boxes a day. I was having to use a crutch at the time as my hip was heading towards it's first op and the only way I could bend was to stick my leg out behind me. Are you still at that...what have I done stage or is there that little tingle of excitement at the adventure to be had...I hope it's the latter. Have you managed to put plants you want to take into pots yet? When it all got a bit overwhelming I took myself off to Dunelm or John Lewis and looked at cushions and planned colour schemes. That did help...obviously the visits involved cake too!!! Mind you a trip to a palace wins hands down I would think...
Doodle... I'm so pleased you are in contact with Kaimoana... I'm so hoping she gets to move closer to her son and Gubbins. Please send her my love and Happy belated Birthday to the cake maker...I bet that was fun to watch. The new vicar sounds very promising...and clever too giving a sermon on welcoming when you have just arrived at somewhere new is going to firmly put any possible dissenters back in their box. !!!
Do you think the ennui we are all feeling is down to change in seasons/weather? I definitely need a rocket somewhere the sun doesn't shine in order to get myself motivated once the clocks go back...I really hate late Autumn and Winter. You are supposed to love the season you are born in but somebody forgot to push that button as I was being made...December baby and but for me it's Spring and Summer when I'm at my best.
On that note I need to get moving ( and dressed). We are transferring to a pitch on grass ( the wisdom of this after a weekend of rain remains to be seen). So far I have managed to not break anything or fall over a guy rope.... I'll report back ....Watch this space.
Love to you all. ❤️
Evening all. I’m struggling to stay awake, been sorting clothes for up and coming cruise. You’d think I was going for a month rather than a week.
That’s brave to move to a house you’ve not seen.
NN your time in wales sounds so calming I’m sure it’s doing you good.
Any day yet for your love Grammaretto?
I do realise that I have been 'out of the loop' recently but things I have missed-
A cruise Doodle? Tell us more!
And Grammaretto. Who's this you're expecting or is it 🤐 ?
🤭
A typo for move Ixion? 😅😂
But you never know.,.....
I hope cruise. isn't a typo Doodle do tell .
Ooh I was just planning to go back and find out what I'd missed....a love Grammaretto? Well for now a move is very exciting but as you say 'You never know'.
I don't remember seeing a cruise mentioned either Doodle....where are you cruising to/from? We are going on our honeymoon ( much delayed by hip op) cruise to the Caribbean in Feb and for the first time in my life I have planned ahead a bit and have a bag in the guest suite ( spare room really) and I have been popping bits in there....including a fabulous evening dress in midnight blue that I got from Vinted ( I sort of wish my friend who visits often hadn't told me about Vinted but hey ho).
We managed to move pitch without any disasters and are now the only motorhome in the field and glorious views to the hills which is just lovely.
DH is in his element...he really loves this kind of thing... There was definitely a moment yesterday when we were manhandling a huge awning to the new pitch when I doubted the wisdom of a 71 year old with a dodgy hip and back partaking in such outdoor activities but I gave Mrs Oh my goodness what am I doing....a firm kick up the rear and got on with it....I rewarded myself with tea and 10 mins on Vinted....anyone for a pair of sparkly converse trainers?????
Sounds good to me NN
..abd lovely to have the freedom of the countryside.
Doodle, about this cruise - did you tell us?
My bet is on the Arctic Circle to hope to see the Northern Lights.
Am I right?🤔
Well I really thought I had mentioned it but now I’m beginning to wonder. Yes I’m going on a cruise. 7 days to Norway with my dear friend and neighbour. She’s so excited and I’m not.
I’m finding it really hard as DH and I did so many cruises and Norway was our favourite destination but I’m putting on my big girl pants and doing it. Mainly for family’s sake as they want me to have a holiday and for my friend who’s been so good to me. I’m sure it will be fine when I get going but the anxiety about it had brought back my tinnitus to orchestra level for a week or two now.
Your right about going north ixion but it’s the wrong time of year for the Northern Lights and we’re going from Southampton so won’t get anywhere near the Arctic Circle on a seven day cruise. DH and I have been past the Arctic circle several times and seen the northern lights but this will hopefully just been a scenic trip along a few fjords.
NN your new pitch sounds wonderful.. do you leave your motor home there for a while or is it one you tow behind you (well behind your car) or is it one that you can drive?
That’s something nice for you to look forward to after Christmas.
Grammaretto how’s your packing coming on.
I hope you can relax and enjoy the cruise Doodle. 🚢
I had quite an easy day with just the antique dealer taking a few things and giving me a few pounds. Plus a potter friend who's helping me by taking materials to her place until I'm ready to have them back. She's a great help.
I'm unable to see round the new house. Their solicitors say no. 😟
Your camping ground sounds very nice NN and how exciting to be planning a Carribbean cruise.
I hope all Lobstars are doing well.
I'm unable to see round the new house. Their solicitors say no.
How strange that seems to me.
We have just allowed the buyer of my mother-in-law's house to go to measure up.
Could you ask the estate agent to ask the owners?
The request just came via the estate agent.
Why is the solicitor making this choice?
How very frustrating.
I did see on another thread that lots of books have gone off to a charity.
That's good news.
Grammaretto how many times have you seen the new place? Have you exchanged contracts yet? That might be a silly question I know that in Scotland things are done differently than here.
Well I’ve packed my clothes just got all the rest to do now.
When do you go, Doodle?
I think you are very brave, especially as the last cruise you did with DH was when he was very poorly, as I recall🌷
Sending you my spare Big Girls' Knickers.
HTH x
Have a really lovely time Doodle. Send a postcard when you can! XX
Have a wonderful time Doodle I feel sure you will.
❤️
No nothing is final until the contracts are signed. The new house is being sold by the POA somewhere in England and equity release is involved too so I think their solicitors are being ultra careful to stick to the letter of the law..
Perhaps they are worried I may pull out if I see it again! I have seen it inside twice but have walked around it several times.
My buyers have seen around my house and listed everything I can leave for them which is extremely useful. Even so I'm relying on an elasticated garage (a TARDIS would be good) for all the "I can't part with this" things.
I've made a list of all my roses. I shall take cuttings of them and my friend will print labels - indelible, sun and waterproof she says-.
20 so far and all with a story to tell.
Morning from a miserable Norfolk. Rain is forecast but none yet. Fingers crossed for Gramaretto moving house is so stressful until you are actually living in it and all is signed!
Stressed with DH at the moment. Was sent to A and E by a nurse who thought he had a UTI. Survived all day there came home with antibiotics but next day he was breathless with low BP. Back to A and E! Ended up in the Frailty Unit! Very helpful there as by now he had thrush in his mouth. They also discovered he was over medicated. Yesterday was spent in Norwich hospital being examined from head to toe. Seemed a lot better last night but not a happy bunny today. Monday will be spent at Papworth - thank heaven for hospital transport!
Well thats the current tale of woe from here - getting old is no joke is it? Love to all
.
Oh Jan how horrible.
Hope you had a good sleep last night and that today helps get to the bottom of the (solvable) problems for MrJan
Oh no poor Mr Jan and poor Jan.
It's almost worse for the carer watching them suffer.
I hope it clears up soon.
I decided to get the bus to the dentist where I've been this afternoon. It takes twice as long as the car but it's free, I can look on here and out the window at the rolling countryside soon to be covered by housing estates by the looks of it.
I managed to gaze at the geese from the bridge.
ixion last cruise with DH he was fine apart from a few days when he wasn’t so good. It wasn’t till we came home that he had the accident which started everything off.
Our last. Raise was to Norway too so it’s a bit emotional for me.
Very kind of you to send your spare pair. Not sure they’ll be big enough. Mine are huge🤣🤣
Thank you all for your good wishes.
Grammaretto that’s a good idea that people can say what they would like you to leave behind. We left a large ladder, hose and a few other household things that we wouldn’t need when we moved from house with garden to flat.
Oh dear Jan I’m so sorry about your DH. Hope they can find out what’s wrong soon and give the appropriate treatment.
Well I’m sorry I won’t be in for a week now. I will be out of contact as no wifi.
Take care all and I will be thinking of you xx
👋 Have a really lovely time Doodle. It's ok to be emotional xxx
Yes, "Bon Voyage!"
⛴️ 🔭🏰 🍷🌥 🚌 🚢 🌙🛌
We will be thinking of you.
🌊
Thinking of you and hoping for a smooth passage!
Looking forward to hearing about it when you're back.
Take care.
Doodle. Absolutely love Norway. We did a great cruise there a few years ago. We had amazing weather and really think it was the best cruise ever. Just as well as we wont be doing anymore. A cruise ship is no place for a woman who has had a stroke! Nfk wouldnt let me on the steam boat that goes on the Broads although I was allowed on the electric boat and a very nice journey in was too!
Thanks for all the good wishes for DH. Think he is gradually improving although still out of breath. We went out for lunch today at our local hostelry. Certainly nothing wrong with his appetite now. Will see what Papworth have to say on Monday.
Great that we are still in touch with Kaimoana” bless her. Hope she finds somewhere she loves to live and big love to *Gramaretto on her move. Enjoy your honeymoon cruise too NN! Hope you have a wonderful time and calm seas! Two cruising friends who will have so much to tell us when they return.
I hope Doodle is happily sailing away!
I am a bit envious. I'd love a holiday and am planning one at least in my head.
Somewhere warm but not hot. Peaceful and beautiful ofcourse. Soon after my move. So end of October. My pal would come too. Any suggestions?
I've been driving load after load to the tip trying to clear the pottery. The guy at the tip even asked me if my Australian friend was still here! They know me well.
I'm going to a concert this afternoon which will be a lovely change.
Hope the Papworth appt goes well tomorrow Jan
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

