Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

theatre

(9 Posts)
earnshaw Mon 18-May-20 12:40:21

i have just been informed that my local theatre has closed permanently , supposedly due to the virus, the thing is , i have two tickets for upcoming shows which are now, of course, cancelled , i was told that as there are no assets i cant get my money back, does anyone know if this is correct

BlueBelle Mon 18-May-20 12:54:48

Did you pay by credit card if so they may help otherwise probably not although I m not an expert

MawB Mon 18-May-20 12:57:04

Rather like a shop or company going into administration I suppose it depends on the administrators.
Pity the poor staff who have lost their jobs, the companies who supply them and presumably won’t get paid either!
I believe the term “force majeure” is a let out when it comes to recommending those owed money.
My D is several thousands of ££££/€€€€ down after Dutch National Opera cancelled a production she has been working on for 18 months . Tickets my sisters in law and I bought for seats in May at £70 each are similarly gone with the wind!

MawB Mon 18-May-20 12:58:04

Recompensing not “recommending !”

kittylester Mon 18-May-20 13:05:37

I suspect that you will be one of a long line of creditors and your credit card company is the best place to start.

Maw sad

We have, so far not seen 3 plays at our local theatre and we have tickets for Open Air performances of a couple of Shakespeare plays in the near future. The theatres are advising holding on to the tickets to use at re-scheduled performances - as if! The Shakespeare company is a very professional but amateur company so I'm not too bothered if we lose that.

DH had booked lots of things at Cheltenham Jazz Festival and could have had a full refund but donated a proportion of the value.

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-May-20 15:44:09

The festival week in Lytham has been cancelled. Ticket master has returned my money by crediting the card I paid with.
Very efficient.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 26-May-20 21:09:43

Along a similar line - my daughter had a ticket with Flybe when it collapsed.

It took a while but banks + credit card companies got everyones money back. You need to put a claim in with who you bought the tickets through. It took a while for my daughter to get the money but at least she did,

MadCatWoman1 Tue 26-May-20 21:36:17

I think you'll need to contact the theatre company to try to get a refund. I had a few days booked in Filey (delayed because of the virus and had to re-book) in August, but just had an email to say that the travel company I booked with has gone into administration. £450 I'm hoping to be able to claim, but I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Doodledog Tue 26-May-20 23:01:15

I have a few pairs of tickets waiting in box offices until the theatres open again. The shows have been cancelled, but I took the option of leaving the tickets rather than getting the money back, as it helps with the theatre's cash flow. I can use them against future performances if the venues survive.

I think that two of them are pretty safe (and one is a rock gig organised by a major tour company, so I'm assuming will be insured) but one is a semi-amateur theatre, so could struggle. They have a resident rep company, and also hire out the theatre to others, and run workshops etc for aspiring actors and other theatre skills. I hope they will survive, and am happy to take the risk to keep them afloat. It may turn out to be a donation, but all things considered, I don't really mind.

These are very difficult times for the Arts. I am involved in a lot of poetry and similar performances, and many are moving online. It's not the same, but it allows artists a chance to get their names known, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

There is very little money in that sort of performance at the best of times, but people are very reluctant to pay anything at all for an online event. I think many take the view that they are sitting at home, so shouldn't have to pay, but they forget the organisation involved, and the fact that the performers have to make a living.

Unfortunately, if attitudes don't change, and people aren't prepared to pay, the performances will dry up altogether. It needn't cost as much as going out to a venue, as obviously there is no room hire to factor in, but there is still a cost involved. I hope that if people get used to 'attending' the free events over the summer that they will pay for them next year, if we can't safely attend them in person.