Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lulworth Cove, idiots and isolating

(16 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 31-May-20 10:43:06

I expect many of you will have seen the papers this morning about this incident.

The photos in the paper show many, many people on the beach a lot closer together than 2 metres. It looked like that to me anyway.

Will they all have been told to self isolate for a couple of weeks?

The idiots were the ones jumping from Durdle Door.

fourormore Sun 31-May-20 10:45:23

We can't educate idiots sadly - we live by the coast too and every year kids are killed or seriously injured tombstoning.
Will they ever learn - sadly no sad

Charleygirl5 Sun 31-May-20 10:51:06

I feel so sorry for the lifeguards who put their lives at risk for these idiots.

Cabbie21 Sun 31-May-20 23:13:18

The same stupidity today, as others are still jumping from the cliffs and crowding onto the beach.

Willow500 Mon 01-Jun-20 07:02:53

It must be just me but I don't get why anyone would want to go and sit on a beach surrounded by hundreds of other people especially at this particular time. We lived at the seaside when our kids were small and I don't ever remember doing it even back then - bad mother that I was!

PamelaJ1 Mon 01-Jun-20 08:35:47

The crowds at Lulworth had obviously Been pushed together to allow the helicopters to land. Why weren’t they told to leave the beach?

We live a few miles away from the coast Willow, we never go anywhere near it at weekends and holiday time. There are a few here that aren’t as well known so we head there with DGS.

Franbern Mon 01-Jun-20 09:13:01

Yes, it was reported that the Emergency Services had made the people on the beach either evacuate (and doing that they were much too close to each other), or else stay but in much smaller space.

Not their fault, - entirely down to the suicidal ones who caused so many people to be put at risk. Do hope they are charged the cost of the helicopter, etc.

jusnoneed Mon 01-Jun-20 11:39:18

And another lot of idiots were back there yesterday, including people jumping from the rock.
It's only a narrow pathway down to the beach so they couldn't really distance either way.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jun-20 11:45:08

It is very very hard to judge from the media photos how close people are we have a big beach here and it could look crowded in a photograph (depending on the angle) but in fact people are just sitting in small family groups and it’s lovely to see people swallowing all the fear and hysteria and getting out in the fresh air I m sick and tired hearing everyone who goes out called an idiot The only idiots are those jumping off the rocks and I m afraid they are around whether we ve got a virus or not

eazybee Mon 01-Jun-20 11:54:42

It would have taken a very long time to clear the beach and I suppose transporting those pulled injured from the water had to take priority.
The cost of using two helicopters is immense; these people really should be heavily fined and given some sort of criminal record.
It would have been a be a very interesting exercise to have taken the name and address of every single person on that beach, not difficult to do as exit is limited, and then follow them up to see how many contracted covoid 19.

Franbern Mon 01-Jun-20 13:17:34

AGree, Bluebelle, about the photo of beaches being very much 'doctored'. Indeed, last week several national papers sent their photographers down to Weston super Mare, instructed to bring back photos of people all crowded together.

Unfortunately, lots of beach, so none of that ocurred. Did not deter those photographers (okay they had to do as instructed by their bosses), so they used special wide lenses to make it look as if all the different, very well apart, groups were all close together.

A local photogaphers was so angry as to what they were doing that he actually took videos of them doing the filming and then showed those beaches as they were, families sitting around in their own small groups, well away from anyone else.

when I saw these small children playing happily in the sun and sand, I thought how healthy, both physically and mentally that was. They were no idiots at all, probably as least as sensible as so many folks staying indoors with their windows all tightly closed for some strange reason.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jun-20 13:26:54

franbern I m glad you understand I m not saying it about everywhere I can only say what I see ...someone local to me put a picture of our reasonably empty beach on Fb and there were people calling her a liar and saying the picture was taken two years ago Well having just come back from my walk down there its perfectly fine there are just a few people sitting in little family groups absolutely no crowding at all
There was also a photo of people going to walk on some downs somewhere There were lots and lots of cars but the area they were all going walking in was vast absolutely vast you would not see another person after you got out your car
We have to use our common sense and not live in this awful fear state which I think is very damaging
Having said that I m not advocating people break the lock down in any way at all but we have to be balanced and not believe everything

EllanVannin Mon 01-Jun-20 13:32:07

Looking at beaches close to me the pics showed quite clear distancing. It's the sandbanks further out that seem to attract the gormless ones with no concept of the way the tides are and have to be rescued by the lifeboat.

I dis see pics of Lulworth Cove and also those diving off the rocks, where someone broke their back.

jusnoneed Mon 01-Jun-20 15:32:27

The local Police put up large signs on the roads and asked people to stay away from the beach yesterday, hundreds totally ignored them went down there. So sorry you don't agree, but yes I say they are idiots.

PamelaJ1 Mon 01-Jun-20 17:23:05

Actually, I was calling the people jumping into the water and causing the incident idiots. Not the people on the beach.
I have no idea if the other people on the beach were observing social distancing or not.

When the helicopters arrived they would have either had to leave or bunch up together. Franburn has explained that it was thought to be the lesser of two evils to herd them together.

etheltbags1 Mon 01-Jun-20 17:38:15

The idiots are the ones leaving rubbish and excretion on our beach