Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Boris speech to Parliament

(52 Posts)
Jaxjacky Tue 22-Sep-20 13:39:14

Work from home if you can
Customers must wear face coverings in taxis and hospitality (unless seated) Fine increased to £200
Retail and hospitality staff must wear masks Fine £200
15 people only at weddings, 30 still at funerals
6 people only can play at indoor sports
Large sports events/conferences will not start October 1
Rule of six rhe same, fine £209 for breaking
Business £10,000 fine if they breach regulations and could be closed
Shielding only in lock down areas

Might have missed something.

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Sep-20 13:40:07

Sorry, couple of typos.

Riverwalk Tue 22-Sep-20 13:43:26

Did I miss something, or is this all a bit of a damp squib?

Riverwalk Tue 22-Sep-20 13:45:52

If that's all he has to say, there really is no need to address the nation tonight.

biggin' himself up

nanaK54 Tue 22-Sep-20 13:52:03

Thanks for the summary Jaxjacky, so cross with myself, I thought that I had set record for 12:30 and would be able to watch when I finished work, but no I had set record for 2pm - hopeless case here!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 14:18:54

Riverwalk

Did I miss something, or is this all a bit of a damp squib?

Apparently the government was all set for a swift short lockdown, taking advise from SAGE, but there was an almighty row in cabinet between those who wanted to protect the economy and those who are concerned to protect the populations health.

The economy appears to have won out

AGAA4 Tue 22-Sep-20 14:32:36

Also pubs must close at 10pm. Not sure if these new measures will do much tbh.
Even with the new measures there are still a lot of people out and about, which the virus thrives on.

MayBee70 Tue 22-Sep-20 15:19:28

I was slightly impressed by him until he responded to Keir Starmer’s supportive reply be getting all aggressive and defensive again. And then after listening to Nicola Sturgeon on Sky News and I realised that both DH and I were fighting back the tears; she was inspirational.

Alegrias Tue 22-Sep-20 15:24:40

MayBee70

I was slightly impressed by him until he responded to Keir Starmer’s supportive reply be getting all aggressive and defensive again. And then after listening to Nicola Sturgeon on Sky News and I realised that both DH and I were fighting back the tears; she was inspirational.

I felt the same as you on all these points MayBee70.

Teetime Tue 22-Sep-20 15:28:58

Boris looked ill and tired which is understandable. I think he is honestly trying to do his best to strike the right balance. I am not a Conservative but I can see a man straining a sinew when I see one.

MayBee70 Tue 22-Sep-20 15:32:38

He goes jogging and plays tennis. He can’t be that ill and tired.

MayBee70 Tue 22-Sep-20 15:35:21

He’s straining a sinew because he’s not up to the job: never was and never will be.

LauraNorder Tue 22-Sep-20 15:40:57

It's naive to think that health, education and economy can be separated. Such a fine balancing act, possible to please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time and impossible to please the media and some gransnetters at all. I think the government is doing a good job with a horrendous situation.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Sep-20 15:43:58

MayBee70

He probably jogs and plays tennis to try and keep as fit as possible, and to help his weight loss.

We have no idea how tired he is by night, or how ill he feels.

We hear so much about how Covid has impacted on the nation’s mental health issues, I wonder how Boris’s is?

He has a lot more to worry about than most of us.

MayBee70 Tue 22-Sep-20 15:45:51

Well, if he was suffering from long Covid he wouldn’t be doing either of those things.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 15:45:56

LauraNorder

It's naive to think that health, education and economy can be separated. Such a fine balancing act, possible to please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time and impossible to please the media and some gransnetters at all. I think the government is doing a good job with a horrendous situation.

Yes. Of course, that should go without saying, but it is the way the scales are tilted that causes the debate.

This time the scales are tilting towards the economy. Time will tell if it is the correct decision.

We know that SAGE have advised stricter measures, but I suspect that the Tory MPs have pushed for the economy.

Grannynannywanny Tue 22-Sep-20 15:46:45

Does anyone understand the science behind the 10pm pub curfew? I can’t fathom what difference it will make. Apart from the fact those intent on a pub “session“ can just start earlier surely if the virus is present amongst them it makes no difference if they leave the premises at 10pm or 11.30. They’ve either contracted/passed it on during the evening or they haven’t?

MayBee70 Tue 22-Sep-20 15:51:32

Nicola Sturgeon did say it didn’t appear to make sense but that it was limiting the amount of time that people were spending in that environment and was helping the pubs to stay open and protect jobs. Just part of a huge balancing act. I don’t understand why staff are only now being told to wear masks though. Should have worn them all along.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Sep-20 15:53:28

MayBee70

Well, if he was suffering from long Covid he wouldn’t be doing either of those things.

No idea what ‘long Covid’ is!

Do you mean he might still be suffering from the effects of his illness?

Yes, he could be, but even if that is not the case, I can well imagine he feels tired out at the end of the day.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 15:54:25

As far as doing a good job, I would tend to agree if a few things had happened. Firstly that Johnson had taken lockdown measures at least a week earlier than he eventually did, secondly that they had not been so utterly incompetent at getting a test and trace system running. It still isn’t, and they have been told time and time again that it is the key to success in controlling the virus. Thirdly , Cummings should have been dealt with in a timely and correct manner and following on from that debacle I think the messaging over the summer was extraordinarily confused.

My opinion is that the message today was too light, I suspect that within a couple of weeks the situation will have to be tightened, but we will again have lost time to the virus.

LauraNorder Tue 22-Sep-20 15:57:18

Not a scientist by any stretch but could the 10 pm closing help to lower the potential of viral load. More likely to go for a drink or a meal after 6 pm, relax for a few drinks then go home instead of hanging about for a couple more and getting a bit too relaxed and friendly. Same with being in someone's home, close contact, feeling safer so more relaxed about the rules, sharing facilities, ultimately more dangerous than being out and about with same few friends, shorter more rule abiding contact.
Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Pantglas2 Tue 22-Sep-20 16:02:59

Apart from the reference to Cummings, WWMk2, I can apply those comments to our FM here in Wales and whilst in Spain this summer, heard many similar complaints from Madrilenos on holiday on the Costa del Sol!

Alegrias Tue 22-Sep-20 16:03:41

Grannynannywanny

Does anyone understand the science behind the 10pm pub curfew? I can’t fathom what difference it will make. Apart from the fact those intent on a pub “session“ can just start earlier surely if the virus is present amongst them it makes no difference if they leave the premises at 10pm or 11.30. They’ve either contracted/passed it on during the evening or they haven’t?

I read an interesting quote from a Dr Jennifer Cole, Biological Anthropologist, Royal Holloway University. I don't know who she is but what she says makes sense:

Closing the bars and restaurants at 10pm simply keeps people more sober. It gives them plenty of time for a meal, or a quick drink with friends after work, but means they are likely to be sober enough to remember to put on a face-covering on the train or bus home, and to be careful around elderly relatives when they get home.

So yes, those who really want to go out and get drunk will continue to do it, but for an good proportion of people it will make a difference.

I don't think there is any "science" behind this other than behavioural science.

Callistemon Tue 22-Sep-20 16:05:25

MayBee70

The GP's advice after DH was unable to shake off an illness was to not keep trying to exercise to get rid of it.
Rest and allow the body to recover.

LauraNorder Tue 22-Sep-20 16:06:25

Would love an answer on testing capability. We have labs that check our INR, PSA, check for diabetes, cholesterol levels, our poo, our cervical cancer checks and so much more every day. How do we magic up thousands more labs with qualified technicians to test for covid-19?
Is there any possibility that we could produce a kit, do our own swab, dip it in to the relevant liquid, it turns blue/green/red/whatever, if it's positive we register it, otherwise carry on.
Obviously I am asking from a position of total ignorance but hope some of you scientific or medical grans can throw some light on it.