Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

UK schools, covid regs

(10 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 02-Mar-21 08:49:45

The overseas school I work in has an outbreak of covid. I want to be able to contrast the measures where I am with those in the UK.

If one student in a bubble has covid, do all students and staff that have had contact with them also get tested? How long does the bubble isolate for?

Greyduster Tue 02-Mar-21 09:17:55

I don’t know what the latest measures for returning pupils will be, but just before the autumn half term, a boy who sat two places away from my grandson in the only class they both attended for a short period once a week, tested positive for Covid, and GS and three others in the class had to self isolate throughout the half term holiday. None of them were ask to get a test. None of them developed any symptoms. All pupils will be tested regularly when they go back to school this month.

Galaxy Tue 02-Mar-21 09:20:11

Before the current lockdown it was close contacts had to isolate, as far as I can remember it was 10 days. The school determined who was close contacts and informed parents.

GagaJo Tue 02-Mar-21 09:54:23

Helpful, thank you Greyduster and Galaxy.

muse Tue 02-Mar-21 09:58:33

My granddaughter is in Year 11 and her social school bubble has isolated twice for 14 days. No test required. She never had any symptoms.

PaperMonster Wed 03-Mar-21 08:31:55

My daughter’s primary school, if someone in the bubble tests positive then the class isolates but no test unless symptoms arise.

The college I work at - no-one isolates, business as usual. Although to be fair, when we went back in Sept we were isolating if we came into contact. But that changed when the powers that be realised just how many people would be isolating. So they let it spread like wildfire.

Galaxy Wed 03-Mar-21 08:33:34

Are you in a union papermonster, that sounds horrendous.

PaperMonster Wed 03-Mar-21 17:56:41

Yes. But HSE have been in and declared all’s ok, so there’s not a lot can be done.

3nanny6 Wed 03-Mar-21 18:10:51

Ref to PaperMonster : how can a college tell workers not to isolate and just let the virus spread like wildfire. That is ridiculous.
I watched something on T.V about a food company and the workers that done the salad box packing. The workers were told in a meeting if you have coughing or any symptoms have a day or two off work but if you are off any longer then you will lose your job. It was where the Kent virus started and then spread like wildfire in fact the variant we are in lockdown right now for, several people from that factory died. It's a case of go to work to live or no job.

PaperMonster Thu 04-Mar-21 09:20:37

3nanny6. You’d be surprised. And we’re not one of the worst in terms of Covid. Some of the incidents I’ve heard about in other colleges are scary. When we questioned why it was ok for a group of students and two staff to spend six hours together in a room where the windows can’t be opened with someone who came down with symptoms the following day, and them not to isolate, we were advised that they were following government guidelines.