Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I've been pinged!

(29 Posts)
LtEve Wed 19-Jan-22 07:52:45

For the first time time the NHS app was launched I've been identified as a close contact. I've had the app since it was started always switched on and have continued working, shopping, been on holiday, gone to restaurants/pubs etc but never been pinged. Can't quite believe it, I'd forgotten I'd even got the app.

Allsorts Wed 19-Jan-22 07:59:09

I’ve never been pinged, it must be a shock. What do you do now?

love0c Wed 19-Jan-22 08:00:14

If you have any sense you will turn it off.

rosie1959 Wed 19-Jan-22 08:03:20

Deleted mine ages ago
The likelihood of being pinged must have increased due to high numbers

LtEve Wed 19-Jan-22 08:22:48

I don’t have to do anything. As I’m fully vaccinated I don’t have to isolate.

allium Wed 19-Jan-22 08:29:31

Delete it.

LtEve Wed 19-Jan-22 08:51:09

Why would I want to delete it?

annodomini Wed 19-Jan-22 08:56:46

I had deleted the app so I wasn't 'pinged' but when DS1 got Covid he named me as a contact and Track and Trace messaged me with two different messages which I ignored and used my common sense, isolating for ten days after I'd last seen him.

TillyTrotter Wed 19-Jan-22 08:56:48

It’s reassuring to know you move around in ‘low risk’ areas if nothing else LtEve.
I hope you stay well.

love0c Wed 19-Jan-22 09:00:29

I have never had the app. Good job I haven't. I have been shopping, meals out, the gym, swimming with granddaughter, been to soft play with grandchildren etc etc.

LtEve Wed 19-Jan-22 09:04:25

The thing is I don’t. I’m a paramedic so have been up close and personal with the virus since it started and caught it in May 2020. It hasn’t scared me since I had it. I’m just intrigued as to how I managed to avoid getting pinged until now.

rosie1959 Wed 19-Jan-22 09:11:13

LtEve

The thing is I don’t. I’m a paramedic so have been up close and personal with the virus since it started and caught it in May 2020. It hasn’t scared me since I had it. I’m just intrigued as to how I managed to avoid getting pinged until now.

Certainly not low risk then LtEve thank you for the job you do it’s certainly not an easy one

FannyCornforth Wed 19-Jan-22 09:12:04

I’ve no advice re pinging, but just wanted to thank you very much for your service and everything that you do.
You have nothing but my admiration and respect LtEve
Thank you? ? ?

ElaineI Wed 19-Jan-22 09:24:29

I'm more curious why I haven't been pinged when DS and DD1 family had covid as they both gave our names to test and trace.

Kate1949 Wed 19-Jan-22 09:48:29

My husband was pinged a while back. The message said 'Please isolate for one day'. He did as asked to be on the safe side but the app was obviously pinging him too late.

Humbertbear Wed 19-Jan-22 10:02:14

If you’ve been vaccinated you don’t need to isolate even if you are pinged.

LtEve Wed 19-Jan-22 10:08:57

Exactly. All you do now is answer a couple of questions then it tells you that you don’t have to do anything.

ginny Wed 19-Jan-22 10:37:54

DH and I were pinged some time ago on a Thursday evening. It said we had been in close contact twitch someone on the previous Friday. We had been to a restaurant that day , but the person could have been in the same place hours before or hours afterwards, six day earlier!
We had no plans that weekend so we’re isolated for the next few days which was fairly pointless as we had been out on the days in between.
Fairly pointless app. which we have now turned off.

Elless Wed 19-Jan-22 11:37:01

LtEve

I don’t have to do anything. As I’m fully vaccinated I don’t have to isolate.

I don't understand this comment LtEve, I am fully vaccinated and boostered, I have even been isolated in that I had my foot in plaster so didn't go out but I still caught Covid and was quite ill after Christmas.

LtEve Wed 19-Jan-22 12:28:04

Those are the rules. When you get pinged you are asked if you’re over 18, have you had both vaccinations and was it before 31-12-21. If you answer yes to those 3 questions you are told you don’t need to isolate.

Elless Wed 19-Jan-22 12:34:16

I didn't realise, I've never been pinged ?

LtEve Wed 19-Jan-22 12:42:13

The rules change as often as you change your clothes! It’ll probably be different again next week.

Hetty58 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:46:08

love0c, so - you may have been infected - and passed it around as well?

love0c Wed 19-Jan-22 12:51:18

Well Hetty, as I haven't broken any rules I will carry on enjoying my life and supporting my family, Not to mention businesses.

GrannyGear Thu 20-Jan-22 11:50:53

I deleted the app ages ago as I don't agree with making people sef isolate while not telling them when and where they were in contact with the virus.

If you are fined for speeding you do at least get told when and where the offence occured.

I'd happily obey the restrictions if they said eg "you were in contact with a covid case on Sunday in Blackpool" .
Then I can check where I was on Sunday. Was it the football match or the visit to my gran.
I could then warn my gran to check for symptons and perhaps tear up my football season ticket!
Incidentally how do you know someone is really from Test and Trace and it is not just a scam especially if all you get is an email/text?