Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid vaccinations - should we still be having them?

(29 Posts)
DaisyL Tue 16-Apr-24 11:41:42

My GP has just sent me a text offering me my Spring Covid vaccination. I seem to be like a pin cushion what with all the various vaccinations - shingles, pneumonia, 'flu and covid. Do I rally need to have another one? What are other people doing?
I'm 80 by the way but pretty fit with no health conditions.

twinnytwin Tue 16-Apr-24 11:43:50

I've got my next Covid vaccination booked. I've had many more than my DH as I have an autoimmune problem. Why would you not?

Cossy Tue 16-Apr-24 11:53:08

Surely it’s n different to annual flu vaccines? Different strains?

Theexwife Tue 16-Apr-24 11:59:26

I agree with Cossy, it is the same as having a flu vaccine. I have both and shall have the shingles vaccine when I am eligible .

Tattooedfidelma Tue 16-Apr-24 12:04:31

Getting mine next Monday. Think this is either 8th or 9th!!

DaisyL Tue 16-Apr-24 16:28:42

It's just that a few of my friends are saying no more. I'd never had a 'flu vaccination before Covid - and haven't had 'flu since 1956. Have had no ill effects from any of them but is it really necessary? I'm not worried by injections but not sure how sensible it is to keep putting more and more stuff inside our bodies.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Apr-24 16:34:00

As long as your friends will look after you if you get ill!
I make my own decisions and have what’s offered, far better than the possibility of being seriously ill.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Apr-24 16:55:45

Well if your 80 you probably had the shingles and pneumonia a good while ago so doubt you’re really very pin cushioney

I m having my spring Covid injection first week of May I ve had all my Covid jabs although I m fairly healthy 🤞🏼
I ve had Covid twice but both very mild just a cold so hopefully the jabs have stopped me being worse

Entirely up to you what you do about it, no one can make you’re mind up fir you, we each have to go with what we feels right for us

henetha Tue 16-Apr-24 18:03:01

I had an online invite this morning and now have an appointment next week.
I still believe it's a good idea for the elderly or vulnerable.

LOUISA1523 Tue 16-Apr-24 22:20:11

I'm done with them....I won't be having any more .....Will still have flu one though

BigBertha1 Tue 16-Apr-24 22:33:35

Both having ours together on Monday

grannyactivist Tue 16-Apr-24 23:10:21

My husband was at his uncle’s funeral on Monday. His uncle died of Covid he contracted recently - it hasn’t gone away.

I’ll happily continue to have the vaccinations.

Birthto110 Tue 16-Apr-24 23:15:48

DaisyL I know lots of people deciding enough is enough.
No more.
And I know the parents of someone fairly young who died as a result of the first vaccine - rare, but let's not forget them. This happened. It's complex. People should feel they can make a choice without judgement.

Hilltop Tue 16-Apr-24 23:31:02

I've always had the covid vaccinations. But just had the latest invitation to have another and I'm feeling reluctant this time. I'm not sure why, but l know some people have had after effects to them and thinking it could be me this time.

Shinamae Tue 16-Apr-24 23:35:31

No more for me…

Grantanow Wed 17-Apr-24 08:56:15

I've booked mine.

Luckygirl3 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:21:48

LOUISA1523

I'm done with them....I won't be having any more .....Will still have flu one though

Could you explain the logic of that statement please?

I have mind booked. Why would I not have it?

annodomini Wed 17-Apr-24 10:04:07

Text arrived this morning, asking me to click on link and book a booster. Done!
As long as it's on offer, I will accept it. I assume it has protected me so far as I only had such a mild dose of the virus that I didn't know until I had to take a test prior to a hospital appointment for minor surgery.

DaisyL Wed 17-Apr-24 11:04:07

I had the shingles one a few years ago but had the pneumonia, 'flu and covid ones at the beginning of winter. I'm not sure why I'm being hesitant this time which is why I posed the question.

jusnoneed Wed 17-Apr-24 11:07:34

I only ever had the first two (and then only as it was spread around that we wouldn't be able to go in many places), never had Covid as far as I know. I don't have flu etc either. I rarely get as much as a cold. My OH booked his latest stab a couple weeks ago after getting a text from his surgery, he will have anything that is going - he's had Covid twice to our knowledge and any cold going around he picks it up. So I think much of it is down to your own immune system, how good or poor it is.

Witzend Wed 17-Apr-24 11:09:32

I shall be taking up the invitation for a spring covid booster. Though except for the very first, I’ve never had a reaction that bothered me.

Vancouver Wed 17-Apr-24 11:16:50

I understand your sentiments totally. As a very “ hands on Grandmother “ ( and former health professional ),and great advocate of vaccination ,I was thinking the same. At the moment I’m slowly recovering from a nasty virus that seems to go on and on,I might let my body recover totally and boost up my vitamin D levels ,with the increasing strength of the sun,befire I book my Spring Covid.

SarClaud2023 Wed 17-Apr-24 12:52:52

I had Covid in October 2020 , was ventilated, induced coma and tracheostomy. I awoke in feb 2021!!!
Eventually came home in June 2021… almost bald, very thin and unable to walk…now 3 years on and still unable to walk without a rollator.
I didn’t see my husband and 4 children for 6 months …my family had been advised that I may not survive!

I have had all Covid vaccine offered and will continue as I couldn’t put my family through this ever again, if I MIGHT a be able to prevent it.

We can choose whether to have the vaccine or not….it’s your choice.

Good luck to you all.

Regards

Robin202 Wed 17-Apr-24 13:18:10

The Covid vaccination is now known not to stop transmission or contraction (despite this being used to ‘sell it’ in the first place). There have also been many adverse side effects and long term damage, including myocarditis, neurological issues, stage iv cancer diagnosis and most of you must have read about so many sudden deaths, particularly of young men, dropping suddenly. Dont forget for every covid shot administered, your GP earns around £12.50. I know of a few who have had issues and several friends have said ‘no more’ after the first two. They refuse to be a pin cushion.
PFIZER have been fined yet again for misleading the public about their vaccines - they have breached the regulatory code five times. More info here :
x.com/vigilantfox/status/1779882354120560769?s=46&t=lp3hCfirSI0YcmZzXIBZIA

Bridie22 Wed 17-Apr-24 14:52:41

Your link is out of date, that was in 2020, we have progressed since then !