Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Puzzles

(56 Posts)
absentgrana Fri 26-Aug-11 16:41:25

Not sure that this counts as culture … Does anyone else waste time doing puzzles. I used to do crosswords, especially in the days when I commuted to work. Now I am an obsessive doer of Killer Sudoku – so much so that when I stood up after doing a particular tricky one, my left foot had gone completely to sleep and I nearly fell over, spraining it quite badly.

Sbagran Mon 10-Oct-11 21:25:02

My message was obviously correct and we are all VERY CLEVER GRANDMAS!
The answer to my puzzle that I posted last night is .....

Too wise you are, (YYUR)
Too wise you be. (YYUB)
I see you are (ICUR)
Two wise for me! (YY4ME)

I really should get out more - ah well off to the cryptic in the local rag! grin

nanachrissy Mon 10-Oct-11 19:55:59

I love cryptic crosswords and sudoku and used to spend hours in the morning doing them, until I started Gnet and now I spend the rest of the day on here!! I haven't done any housework for months!! Just call me Quentin Crisp (or Nanacrispy! grin

Elegran Mon 10-Oct-11 19:09:31

This webcomic points you to an optical illusion...

xkcd.com/960/

The FedEx logo is on www.fedex.com/gb/

Elegran Sun 09-Oct-11 21:03:37

Several wrote it in mine- one of them got it wrong so I don't think she really understood it.
Yes I remember J for cakes and N for a penny and for mation- and I think it was S for Williams until Ms Rantzen came along. Probably someone else before that.

Granny23 Sun 09-Oct-11 19:16:24

Z for effect = said for effect

We also had:

N for mation or
N for a penny and
J for cakes

I can also read sbagran's message - someone once wrote it in my autograph book!

Elegran Sun 09-Oct-11 18:52:49

I know this one, shagran it was one of my father's, but I won't post the answer until everyone else has a chance to tie themselves in knots.

Another of his was an alternative alphabet (not really a puzzle)

A for 'orses,
B for mutton,
C for yourself,
D for dumb,
E for brick,
F for vescence
G for screepers
H for adventure
I for one
J for wonder?
K for tearoom
L for goblin
M for sis
N for nal noise
O for excited
P for relief
Q for attention
R for mo
S for rantzen
T for 2
U for example
V for La France
W for tune
X for breakfast
Y for no?
Z for ---- I forget this one, any ideas?

Sbagran Sun 09-Oct-11 18:18:05

A little puzzle for you all to mull over and use in the future if you want to impress the GC or bore anyone else with your words of wisdom !!!

YYUR YYUB ICUR YY4ME

Won't give you the answer now - will post it tomorrow if I remember !!! grin

Sbagran Sun 09-Oct-11 18:12:39

Greenmossgel - you can play scrabble free on King Games. Obviously they want you to 'join up' which involves paying but you don't have to. The down side to being a 'free' player is that at busy times there is a queue (but it moves quite quickly) and also you get the 'ads' but if you can put up with that it is fine.
One hint though if you do try it - you can put down more than one word per 'go' and get extra points for using all your letters even if on different words. I played for ages with pathetic scores because I was playing the 'normal' way! grin

Hunt Sun 09-Oct-11 09:52:51

My favourite puzzle is the Ladygram in the Lady Magazine.Quite challenging. I photocopied one for a friend to try and she was still working on it in the 'wee, small hours' It's the kind of puzzle where you solve the clues, transfer the letters of the answers to a grid and finish up with the name of an author, the title of the book and a lengthy qotation from the book.

artygran Sat 03-Sep-11 10:42:17

Grandmaagain enjoy your mah jong - at least you aren't keeping anyone awake at night! When we lived in the Far East, we lived in a lovely apartment. Just before we left, a Chinese family moved into the apartment above us and used to play majong on the terrazzo tiled living room floor until all hours. The sound of mah jong tiles rattling used to drive me to distraction - not to mention the twice yearly visit from the Chinese opera in the village below us at decibel levels you would not believe... still, we were only visitors in their country so no right to complain!

Granny23 Fri 02-Sep-11 22:38:28

Grandmaagain - it is not a waste of time at all, if it keeps your brain ticking over, distracts you from worries and gives you pleasure! Now football, unless actively playing it yourself, IS a woft, especially when discussing it endlessly, as is reading most newspapers and magazines, poor fiction, etc. or watching a lot of the output of our so-called 'best in the world' TV stations.

grandmaagain Fri 02-Sep-11 21:49:37

I love cryptic crosswords but mah jong on my laptop is my weakness I can waste hours!!! blush ]blush] blush

expatmaggie Sun 28-Aug-11 15:06:38

Cribbage is an oldfashioned card game. I used to play it in country pubs waiting for the bus to take the hikers in Derbyshire back to the city centre.

You can now get it from Mike's Cards www.mikesedore.com

for a small fee but there are hundreds of card games, and I think you get a four week trial.
I've been playing his cards on 3 computers now since 2003 and he always lets you have a cheap update.

greenmossgiel Sun 28-Aug-11 10:54:10

Jacey - I've got Scrabble on my Nintendo - and actually I think that's the best option for me! When I reactivated my account for Facebook last night, I remembered why I deactivated it in the first place! Straight away my granddaughters' incoherent 'blethers' to their friends made themselves obvious. I'd actually stopped going on Facebook because of this! When I told the girls this, they laughed, but I wouldn't want them to feel 'inhibited' in case Grandma saw something that she may interpret wrongly.....blush I'll rake out my Nintendo Scrabble, I think! smile

Jacey Sat 27-Aug-11 22:33:16

That's why I suggested putting it on your Nintendo greenmossgiel

greenmossgiel Sat 27-Aug-11 22:11:31

Just reactivated my Facebook account, pompa but got wary as I have to 'allow' information stuff so I can play the Scrabble game. Don't like the 'allowing' bit. Is that safe? hmm

pompa Sat 27-Aug-11 21:42:04

If/when you get it set up we can play a private game. I have about 10 games running atm.

greenmossgiel Sat 27-Aug-11 21:20:53

Thanks pompa, I'll see if I can set it up. (I used to do Facebook before, but didn't get much from it). I do fancy the Scrabble though! smile

goldengirl Sat 27-Aug-11 21:17:06

I love jigsaws too Bellesnan especially the vintage type rather than the scenic ones. DH used to mount the arty jigsaws for me and hang them on the wall at one time.

pompa Sat 27-Aug-11 21:14:38

Greenmos, the facebook scrable runs outside the normal facebook pages, yuo just need to set up a facebook account with all the security settings enabled. You can then play scrabble for free with no problems.

Jacey Sat 27-Aug-11 21:09:29

greenmossgiel ...you could get a scrabble game to go on your Nintendo ...that's how I play ...but you may have to do an internet search for one ...as not in the shops.
One of my gs found me one that way smile

Jacey Sat 27-Aug-11 21:06:29

Cribbage brings back a lot of memories ...my father taught me ...we used to play in the evenings on holiday ...match sticks to go in the holes of the board he'd made.
Sometimes would play with my grandfather ...until I started to beat him ...then he wouldn't play with me again ...just my boy cousins ...who never beat him ...c'est la vie!!

yogagran Sat 27-Aug-11 20:54:28

woody - I fond a website that gives you all the help and assistance to solve the clues and puzzles in Professor Layton and the Curious Village. I got completely stuck midway through this game and was on the point of giving up as I just seemed to go round in circles. If you want some help look at:
professorlaytonwalkthrough.blogspot.com/

artygran Sat 27-Aug-11 20:45:24

I like cribbage - DH would never teach me (he is very good) because he said I was hopeless at cards, but a good friend taught me and I have been playing ever since. Trouble is, all the people we used to spend evenings playing cards with seem to be curling up their toes, sadly....
Woody have you tried Bejewelled Blitz? It's a bit more interesting than the straightforward version.

absentgrana Sat 27-Aug-11 18:10:39

expatmaggie I love cribbage; my mum taught me to play when I was a child, just as she had been taught by a big brother when she was little. I have tried to teach Mr absent, but he's not interested. I used to play with my mum when she was very old and living with us – a dear friend even bought large cards for her as a birthday present. Probably the last time we played, I pegged my score backwards and cheated over her, but still eventually won. Bless her heart. I have no one to play with these days. [sad}