Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

children's books

(17 Posts)
olliesgran Fri 09-Sep-11 10:55:02

Not sure this comes under the banner of culture, but we bought some new Ladybird books for ou GS, traditional stories, so we thought. The 3 little pigs was one of them, and on reading the story to GS, I wondered what had happened to it. I am all for modernising, bringing up to date, but this was just silly. There were 3 little pigs, who left home for no reason stated, then they met a men with straw, then one with sticks and then one with bricks, and built each their house. Then the wolf came and ate the first 2, as he could blow their house down, but not the 3rd. The wolf then tried to get the little pig to come out of his house, organising some fun activities such as picking apples, stating a time to meet the next day. Little pig agreed to meet at time stated then went to pick apples 2 hours earlier, so as not to meet the wolf. What is all this about? It's ok to tell fibs, to escape an unpleasant meeting? No value jugement was expressed as to the suitability of house of straw/sticks. The little pigs were not warned of the shortcomings of such dwellings! And of the peril of taking the easy option, being lazy. And then they got eaten! Big price to pay for not knowing what you are doing! All traditional stories had a sort of "morale" attached to them, why get red of this all together? The setting could be modernised, but the basic massage of the story should still find its way in there!

jangly Fri 09-Sep-11 11:05:57

And I bet is doesn't "read" half as well olliesgran. hmm

JessM Fri 09-Sep-11 11:14:07

Sounds garbled. Small kids would not understand the thing about going earlier, its's really complicated.
My GS likes the bit (in my version) where the wolf falls down the chimney and gets boiled to death. In my version pigs take refuge with their siblings and dont get eaten. But i seem to recall that in the original (if there is such a thing) pigs one and two, who had not completed their NVQ Level 3 in construction project planning and site management, let alone their B Tec in quantity surveying, get gobbled up!

em Fri 09-Sep-11 11:41:14

In my version the hapless 2 take refuge with sensible 3rd piglet. Then Mum and Dad (who had earlier waved them a cheerful goodbye as they set off) arrive for a visit just as nasty wolf is threatening piglets. Mum and Dad each grab a big stick (so beloved of tiny boys) and chase the wolf back into the forest so that 'he is never seen again'. They all sit down and have a nice cup of tea! GD is only 2 and a bit and I'm not prepared to risk nightmares when he sleeps over with me! Moral would be - stay on good terms with siblings and parents!

JessM Fri 09-Sep-11 11:59:33

Nice one em. Small children have a love/hate relationship with scary monsters don't the? "Be a monster!!!" " Stop you're being too scary!!!"
I remember my DS1 at that age was utterly fascinated by the rhino in Southampton zoo - wanting lots of info about rhinos, but very nervous as well.
(I saw the rhino on telly decades later, being chatted up by Ben Fogle in Longleat or somewhere similar. Her name was Thelma... must be the same gal I thought, but getting on a bit and needing her horn trimmed!)
No coincidence that Where the Wild Things Are has been such a huge best seller.

em Fri 09-Sep-11 20:12:57

You're right JessM, but as he is only 2 I think inducing a peaceful sleepy night is a higher priority than stimulating his imagination. Just wait a couple of years and anything goes (within reason!)

olliesgran Wed 21-Sep-11 14:23:11

Quote of the day: I think that during this unit, I have discovered what books are like because I thought they were boring but it's like slow TV in your head.
(student in Y9). There is hope yet!

Ganja Thu 29-Sep-11 09:14:03

My GC prefer The three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig!

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 09:40:56

Anyone looking for good books for Christmas for GC?

I've just ordered Portside Pirates, includes CD, for 2-3 year olds and
Barefoot Books 'World Atlas' for 6 year old.

Both have beautiful illustrations. The pirate book is a song really ( hence the CD) very repetitive but they need that at this age and great for a pirate- themed day.
You can also download a video of it on UTube for free.

The atlas has little lift-up 'Did You Know' flaps. MrDog has spent all morning exploring it.

annodomini Sat 24-Nov-12 10:04:05

I have bought a microscope for GS, aged 7, and, to go with it a beautifully written and illustrated book, The Complete Book of the Microscope. He is going to love it as he is a very investigative child.
Lovereading4kids is a great web site.

Jodi Sat 24-Nov-12 10:56:37

Thanks both of you for these tips. Those if us who work full time find it hard to find Christmas presents for the little ones and there's so much rubbish out there. A good book is always acceptable. smile

FlicketyB Sat 24-Nov-12 17:10:19

I have been struggling with books for DGD this Christmas. She is 5 1/2 and has been doing Victorian women at school this term, Florence Nightingale, Grace Darling, Mary Seacole. She is into all things victorian and is absolutely fascinated by them.

I decided to buy her a book on Victorian 'Woman/Heroines' or similar for Christmas. I felt sure that in these equality days there would be plenty of choice. I have scoured Amazon and I have just about managed to find three separate books one on each lady, two I know are at her reading age, one I am crossing my fingers is OK, but I have had to buy two of the books second hand because they are no longer in print and this applied to many of the books that my searches found.

I find this lack of books on women role models for younger children a cause for concern.

Grannylin Tue 27-Nov-12 17:04:51

Just got my 'Portside Pirates and 3 others in the series-they are perfect for my 2yr old GS, so thanks for that Nanad

Nanadog Tue 27-Nov-12 20:20:05

Try playing this for them too

m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=_qAngsMJD3I

Nanadog Tue 27-Nov-12 20:21:58

smile grannylin

Mishap Tue 27-Nov-12 21:48:10

I bought whole set of books by Michael Rosen for my 3 year old GS and have been very disappointed with them - the stories a weird and the poems more so. The only one he likes is Little Rabbit Foofoo about a rabbit who goes about with a large mallet bopping other creatures on the head!

Deedaa Thu 29-Nov-12 22:20:25

You really can't go wrong with the classics for the little ones - Rosie's Walk, bear Hunt, Each Peach Pear Plum (which I found I could still recite from memory 30 years after reading it to my own children) and The Elephant and the Bad Baby. Plenty of little jokes in the illustrations always go down well.