Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Pre-Rapahelites

(21 Posts)
susiecb Thu 20-Oct-11 09:47:26

Have you seen the Andrew Lloyd Webber programme on the PRs? i dont care for the man or his turgid music but this programme is excellent. he explains each painting in a straighforward non 'arty' way putting the art in historical context and at the same time we get to see this wonderful paintings.

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 09:50:19

TURGID!!! shock

What is/are the PRs?

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 09:52:33

Oh - I see. The pre-raphaelites. I thought you meant some sort of tv channel.

Tea! Quick! grin

susiecb Thu 20-Oct-11 09:53:53

Yes bloody turgid!!!

A group of Victorian painters including Holman Hunt (Light of the World etc) Millais (Ophelia etc) Rosetti and others who joined later. Its a lovely programme do have a look.

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 10:01:58

Yes - I know who/what they were! hmm

What channel is it on?

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 10:04:10

And does it clash with Corrie? wink

nanachrissy Thu 20-Oct-11 10:19:32

Jinglej stop it..grin

carboncareful Thu 20-Oct-11 10:49:15

Pre Raphs: Birmingham Art Gallery. I was brought up on them - in fact I always used to think that was what art was: full stop. We used to be taken there because it was free. My favourite has always been: "The Long Engagement". There is a dog in it which I am sure is a Gordon Setter? I eventually got one not so many years ago and she was totally mad! Never did get the purple dress though.

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 11:17:20

Oh the dress is lovely! www.preraphaelites.org/the-collection/1925p222/the-long-engagement-amy/

Don't like Victorian paintings. Bit turgid.

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 11:56:29

The purple dress looks as thought it was dyed with mauveine, a magenta dye - the latest colour when aniline dyes were first invented and introduced (from about 1856) and bright colours were at last possible, so presumably the lady is fashion-conscious as well as attractive. She deserves a short engagement, not a long one! What is he waiting for?

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 12:20:44

Just realised that the original bright purple dye of her dress was a dye which has faded to that streaky lavender-pink - so the striking dress she wore when he proposed has faded with time - as she will, poor girl. How sad.

When I was young, wearing mauve was referred to as "the old maid's last push" I see why now"

GoldenGran Thu 20-Oct-11 12:35:08

When is it on*susicb*, I'd like to watch it? I am definitely growing into wearing mauve and purple as I grow older!

glammanana Thu 20-Oct-11 13:16:11

Elegran what a lovely discription you make of her dress and of her getting older,so nicely worded and so true of life.thanks

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 13:17:31

I'm going to tell my daughter about the "old maid's last push". grin

Well, perhaps not. shock

crimson Thu 20-Oct-11 13:21:47

carbon; perhaps we bumped into each other in our oh so distant youth? I spent many an afternoon in the museum and art gallery and only realised recently why I loved Pre Raphaelite paintings so much. My daughter also studied William Morris for A level art, so we did a lot of research at the time [there was a big exhibition on in London; 100th anniversary of something]. I found the [bodice ripping]bbc series very jolly as well; it did help me differentiate between the artists [I get them mixed up]. It's amazing how many places the Pre Raphaelite stuff turns up at; Cragside in Northumberland has some. As for Mr Lloyd Webber, I've warmed to him over the years because, as a racing fan his wife owns and breeds very good horses [Watership Down Stud in Ireland]. His own collection of paintings is immense, is it not?

goldengirl Thu 20-Oct-11 15:51:53

I adore the Pre-Raphaelites and studied them both for pleasure and for my Masters - which was also a pleasure grin. I'm also interested in the influence of the PRs on other artists and photographers. I've not seen the latest programme though. Lord LW owns a very large number of paintings and exhibited them at the Royal Academy [?] some years ago. Lucky man!

susiecb Thu 20-Oct-11 15:53:43

I'm not really sure what channel its on although I believe its a BBC one - I watch it on BT Vision.
Is wearing purple about getting older I have lots of purple in my wardrobe and am knitting with it. All my pansies are purple and the bathroom towels are purple. In golf if you are doing well they call it going through a 'purple patch' - would defintely like one of thosegrin.

carboncareful Thu 20-Oct-11 15:54:42

My daughter did a long essay on the Pre Raphaelite women - I think for her Foundation course before going to Wimbledon school of art. It was very interesting the way they treated their women, swapped them around and suchlike !!! Also that they liked them looking "anorexic" although I doubt the word had been invented.
Then there was the one who was scared of pubic hair and refused to consumate his marriage...........

carboncareful Thu 20-Oct-11 16:08:24

Just discovered he did two Long Engagements. The first was The Long Engagement - Amy. The second was just The Long Engagement.

http://www.preraphaelites.org/the-collection/1902P13/the-long-engagement/

This is the one with the Gordon Setter - and the beautiful purple cape

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 16:29:55

CC - The purple cape has only faded at the lower bit that she is holding up - perhaps this engagement has not been as long as Amy's and they will soon be happy together?
A lovely dog.

biggran Thu 20-Oct-11 17:33:02

I blow hot and cold about the pre-raphaelites. Sometimes I think they have a glorious melancholy streak but at others they seem ridiculously over sentimental and positively maudlin.
But I am looking forward to visiting the newly refurbished and re-opened Watts Gallery in Surrey when we visit our DD and GD in November. His painting 'Hope' is on display. Apparently it inspired President Obama and gave him the title of his book 'The Audacity of Hope'.