Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Shakespeare

(42 Posts)
susiecb Sun 18-Mar-12 12:58:55

Like many people my age we were force fed Shakespeare for O Level and it rather out me off other than a couple of films notably Al Pacino in the Merchant of Venice and a couple of Ken Branagh adaptations. I went to see the RSC in Taming of the Shrew (trying to get out more) at Nottingham last week and it was wonderful!!! A very physical and funny production. This has encouraged me and now cant wait to see something else hopefully at Stratford. If like me you were put off by school Shakespeare give the RSC a go they do a marvellous job.

JoKyJo Wed 08-Aug-12 12:41:56

Seeing Shakespeare in Stratford you'll never be disappointed. I love the smaller Courtyard theatre rather than the large Swan theatre at the RSC.

Even though it is quite a long way for me, I loved a production of A Winter's Tale a few years ago so much, that I went back a week later to see it again!!

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 16:58:02

I should think I know what you'll be doing this evening grin

Maniac Tue 26-Jun-12 16:38:54

My daughter is vocal coach for the stage play featured on tonight's 'Imagine' programme -'The Two Worlds of Charlie F' featuring professional front-line soldiers. Its a new venture for her but she was asked to do it because of her reputation as a voice gp teacher.
[proud parent emoticon]

Annobel Mon 25-Jun-12 19:54:45

Your daughter must be very talented, gracesmum. How wonderful to be able to look at the stage and say, 'My daughter did that'. smile

gracesmum Mon 25-Jun-12 18:57:14

So glad others enjoyed this as much as I did! Also planning to see King John at Stratford (Swan), middle DD is its designer and it has had excellent reviews. Very chuffed, she has been asked to design As You Like It at the "big" theatre next year!! [modest but chuffed to bits] emoticon!

feetlebaum Mon 25-Jun-12 14:42:43

SKY Arts 2 recently broadcast several productions from the Globe Theatre, in particular Henry IV (a play discussed by Simon Schama in his current TV series). Roger Allam's Falstaff was wonderful - and in his mouth the language is instantly understandable.

Annobel Mon 25-Jun-12 14:10:37

I noticed that Henry V was on, but too late to watch it. I have seen it many times when I was teaching mature students. We watched both the Olivier and the Brannagh versions. They were each redolent of their time. Olivier did it in wartime when the country needed to hear of heroism and patriotism - a shot in the arm. Brannagh's version shows more of the squalor of war - not the Dulce et Decorum attitude.

Maniac Mon 25-Jun-12 13:41:41

* susiecb* Yes l caught that on TV last night as l'm NOT a football fan.
I thought it was great- liked the African setting. I envy you seeing it live.
I might even watch it again on catchup.
Did anyone see the Laurence Olivier Henry V on on of the remote channels on Sat afternoon.The production seemed stiff and dated.but still good to revisit.

Annobel Mon 25-Jun-12 10:40:23

How true, lilygran. I think the worst example was Measure for Measure in broad Scots. It wasn't even well acted and the setting didn't bring any fresh understanding to the admittedly tortuous plot. Many years ago, saw Much Ado in a British Raj setting. Why?

Lilygran Mon 25-Jun-12 10:35:57

Susie, Annobel, saw the telly version last night. It was great! Sometimes when you see a non- trad Shakespeare production it's quite irritating because the scenery/location costumes etc don't seem relevant. When it works, like it did here, it's like seeing the play for the first time. The African setting really brought the themes alive.

AlisonMA Mon 25-Jun-12 10:20:07

I would definitely prefer Shakespeare to football. Sounds like you had a great birthday susie

Annobel Mon 25-Jun-12 10:06:31

The all black cast was because it was set in a nameless African country undergoing a coup against a general planning to become a dictator. It was a brilliant and highly successful piece of drama. Putting it in an African context proves that Shakespeare doesn't go out of date. Human nature and human politics don't change for the better! The torture of the conflict between Brutus' loyalty to his friend, Caesar, and what he saw as his patriotic duty, was brought to life by Paterson Joseph's agonised portrayal.
A famous African leader, the late President Julius Nyerere of Tanzania, obviously saw the play's relevance to African politics when he translated it into classical Kiswahili.
Thank goodness there was something good to watch while the football was on.

AlisonMA Mon 25-Jun-12 09:42:56

susie wish I had been there too, did JC for O level.

Why an all black cast? I don't really understand the point they make when they do any all one race performance, like Ballet Black, what is the point? Would love to understand.

susiecb Mon 25-Jun-12 09:35:40

We saw Julius Caesar at the RSC STratford n Avn on Friday night. It was was shown on BBC laast night. The cast was made up of all black actors and it was electrifying! The performance is shown as a whole piece without an interval s it never loses pace. the actors were wonderful so ful of life and energy and the delivery was faultless. It was an expensive thing to do (tickets, meal, hotel) but it was my birthday present to DH who never wants or asks for anything for hinself and he loved it. we are really hooked on Shakespeare now.

Jacey Thu 26-Apr-12 14:16:37

I'm so envious Seventimesfive envy

Have a wonderful time ...please tell us something about each one! smile

feetlebaum Thu 26-Apr-12 13:10:25

School trips to the Old Vic... Alan Badel and Claire Bloom in Romeo & Juliet -- 1952 or 53 -- the frantic pressing of sixpences into the opera glass slots as the masters saw Juliet lean over the balcony in her low-cut frock...!

Julius Caesar - all I remember is the death of Cinna the Poet from that production (it was the play on our GCE O Level Eng. Lit exam)

Have any of us watched any of the Globe Theatre production shown on SKY Arts2? A fabulous Flastaff in Henry IV by Roger Allam - funny and entirely believable.

jeni Fri 20-Apr-12 17:30:48

You don't know what you've missed then! Perhaps we could organise something together? Later on in the year though, as I've got a lot on at present. 2cruises and lots of work to pay for them. I really, really want to go on the QE Xmas cruise as well in princess class, so I'm waiting to see if they drop the price. Or I may book while I'm on the QM?

Maniac Fri 20-Apr-12 17:24:15

jeni I would definitely be interested in a GN trip to Stratford for a Shakespeare production.
There have been some excellent Shakespeare productions at The Tobacco factory in Bedminster, Bristol.They have recently finished a run of 'King Lear'.
I saw a couple of productions there but not since I moved 5 yrs ago.
I've seen Othello at Chichester,'King Lear' in Bath,Richard 3rd at Roundhouse in London (Dustin Hoffman in next row!) but I've never been to Stratford.

jeni Fri 20-Apr-12 15:05:12

Macbeth! A real tongue twister of a speech. Could catch with its surcease success.

Ariadne Fri 20-Apr-12 14:27:42

"if 'twere done, 'twere better it were done quickly.." [ smile]

Love "Coriolanus" - "Oh mother, mother, what hast thou done to me?" (Same old - blame your mum!)

jeni Fri 20-Apr-12 13:30:18

sunshine

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 20-Apr-12 13:26:18

jeni, can't make any promises, but we will try our best to sort something out.

Seventimesfive Thu 19-Apr-12 21:44:09

As part of the Cultural Olympiad the Globe on the South Bank, where I am a volunteer steward, is putting on all 37 of Shakespeare's plays in 37 different languages - Julius Caesar in Italian, Macbeth in Polish, Coriolanus in Japanese, Troilus and Cressida in Maori, Twelfth Night in Hindi etc. It should be really inspiring to see how different companies from around the world will interpret Shakespeare. I've got a ticket which allows me to see all the plays standing in the yard, so I hope my legs hold out! The usual season starts at the beginning of June and Mark Rylance and Stephen Fry will be in Twelfth Night, which should be great! I think it will be a very special season.

jeni Thu 19-Apr-12 21:26:03

I saw Corialanus at Stratford when I was young! Olivier played Corialanus and I think Dame Sybil as his mother!
He did a spectacular fall from the top of the three tiered stage in the death scene, being caught by his ankles!
A gasp went up from the audience, I still remember it now!
I can't remember what year it was! But it was amazing!
I wonder if anybody would be interested in a GN trip to stratford?
Perhaps GNHQ could organise some group discount?
GERALDDiNE!
Could this be done?

Humbertbear Thu 19-Apr-12 20:53:21

Watch Coriolanus - the recent movie by Ralph Fiennes. It takes place in Bosnia and has a superb cast including Vanessa Redgrave. It makes Shakespeare relevant and is a fabulous - if violent - introduction to Shakespeare.
Don't be put off by the language - I find that I don't even notice it after a while.