Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Calling all choristers

(24 Posts)
specki4eyes Wed 09-May-12 10:51:57

Just wanted to share this with fellow choristers. There is a site called cyberbass.com on which you can access all the major works. By clicking on choral piece, you can then go to your part i.e. soprano/Alto/Tenor or Bass and the piece will be played, with your part defined by being louder than the others. Its such a great help between rehearsals or when learning a new piece. We are learning O clap your hands together by Gibbons at the moment in 8 parts and it would be so difficult without cyberbass.

susiecb Wed 09-May-12 16:06:34

Thank you that does sound good. I am not in a choir at the mo as I think my voice is too weak now but did love being in Chelmsford Choral Society when we did Samson.

MargaretX Thu 10-May-12 08:24:02

I left my RC choir in Germany some years ago as my voice 'broke'. I'd sung Mozart and Haydn Masses with my German catholic friends - (I am officially C.of E.) for 25 years. I wonder if I can sing now? I'll have try.

jeni Thu 10-May-12 08:31:39

Will tell old hippy choirmaster about this!

artygran Thu 10-May-12 17:32:36

I can't sing a note in the normal course of events, and I literally can't at the moment as I have lost my voice! For four days I have been unable to make much of any kind of sound and Mr Arty thinks all his birthdays have come at once! We are communicating by way of written notes! I like the sound of this site though, and will have a look; I play the piano, but I love choral music and would love to be able to sing.

gramps Tue 12-Jun-12 14:18:47

We both sang with THE DARTFORD Choral Socy. until recently. Ill health making it difficult for concert events!
The programme mentioned is quite helpful when trying parts, which can be very difficult in a choir rehearsal!!

Mishap Tue 12-Jun-12 22:02:01

Singing has been my life - much more important than work!

I find that Youtube is very helpful - there is usually a version of whatever you have to sing sitting there in the ether somewhere.

specki4eyes Tue 12-Jun-12 22:27:25

You're so right Gramps. In my choir, when one part is practising, all the other parts whisper and gossip to each other - makes it so difficult, that underlying drone. Mishap - mine too - guaranteed to lift your spirits any day. Youtube is so good - I just pick a top choir and warble along with them - that way I sound better!

gramps Wed 13-Jun-12 06:10:35

I like that idea - hadn't thought of it.
Thanks specki!

merlotgran Wed 13-Jun-12 09:22:33

I used to sing with Ely Choral Society but had to drop out when DH had a stroke. I found it impossible to cope with rehearsals which always seemed to land on the same evening as afternoon hospital appointments. I'm hoping to return next year as I miss singing and I love the major concerts.

nanaej Wed 13-Jun-12 09:28:07

Ah! I am a non-singer due to unkind music teacher but love music and sing on my own! Maybe I can use the link to teach myself to sing!!

specki4eyes Wed 13-Jun-12 12:54:07

Yes nana do it!..you probably think I've got shares in Youtube - I havent - but just to say there are singing lessons on Youtube

merlotgran Wed 13-Jun-12 21:24:29

Maybe we should start a Gransnet choir. Anyone know Gareth Malone?

kinjil Thu 14-Jun-12 15:36:57

Thanks for this website very useful. Have been recommended YouTube when we are doing a big choral work, but as an alto (and sometime wanderer into sop as not that good!) it sounds just what I need. I warble in a large church choir whose choirmistress is trying to extend us into unknown territory with variable success! Once a year we all get together with choirs from the rest of Kent to sing together in Canterbury Cathedral which is wonderful, and nobody can hear if you go wrong as there are so many of us! smile

specki4eyes Thu 14-Jun-12 20:37:30

Speaking of extending yourselves, a few years ago our choir entered an international choral competition in Italy. We are a mixed nationality choir, French, British, Dutch. We came second in the Chamber Choir category but the best thing about this was the confidence we gained and my oh my, what fun it was! During the long weekend that we were there, we sang in the hotel, on the beach, in cafes and in restaurants and bars. It was wonderful. We still talk about it and would love to do something like that again.

Anne58 Thu 14-Jun-12 21:11:06

No longer a chorister, but have found singing very therapuetic (sp?) for many years. Used to be a soprano in the Chuch choir up until the age of 15, but my voice sort of "broke" !

Mr. P has the odd occasion where he will ask me to sing for him, usually "The Rose", (Bette Midler did the most known version), but the songs I feel most comfortable singing include "The First Time (ever I saw your face)", "Coming Around Again", and various other things that I can't bring to mind right now! (Although the Pete Green version of "Need Your Love So Bad" is on my current list!)

Mishap Thu 14-Jun-12 22:23:02

Singing is so good for you - try a bit of googling and find a local community choir - they are mushrooming all over the place. They are always non-auditioned and great fun.

Singing is for everyone - it makes you feel good and you meet lots of nice peeps.

Kiwibird Fri 15-Jun-12 05:43:34

My passion is barbershop singing. I'm in my city (NZ) barbershop chorus. We work very hard, sing out for the likes of aged care homes and others and compete in a national contest each year. Such fun and such companionship of other like-minded women. As Mishap said, it does make you feel good. I can go to chorus with worries on my mind and the music helps me to forget them for a couple of hours. I just hope my singing voice hangs out for another few years!

moving Mon 30-Jul-12 02:45:09

Thanks for posts.

Grandmanorm Mon 30-Jul-12 20:25:45

Merlotgran, our two sons were choristers at King's School Ely. The music was superb and has stayed with them. The cathedral is magnificent but was oh so cold.

jeni Mon 30-Jul-12 21:13:48

I used to sing in our local choir! But my voice is now more like corncrake or common shrike! So I don't!
Gaudeamus igitur!

eGJ Mon 30-Jul-12 21:34:15

Gaudeamus was our school song jeni! I can remember all the words still (I think)!!

AlieOxon Mon 30-Jul-12 21:49:25

Any folk singers here?
I once sang at the folk club in Dundee and still love to sing but noone to sing with! Love to harmonise.
I was in a carol service as a student, and loved that, but not well up on the music others are mentioning.
Gaudeamus is v familiar though - St Andrews!

Grandmanorm Tue 31-Jul-12 09:58:46

Thanks to this forum I have put my name down to join a new choir in Perth.
Thank you ladies.