Culture/Arts

Happy birthday Sir Paul McCartney!

(19 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 19-Jun-12 18:47:45

Ditto, Annobel hmm

Annobel Tue 19-Jun-12 11:54:39

Oh, please let's forget that!

Greatnan Tue 19-Jun-12 11:28:37

When- your new name always reminds me of Cherie Blair! Do you remember her singing it?

whenim64 Tue 19-Jun-12 07:07:13

They say Ringo wasn't the best drummer in the world....in fact, he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles! grin

Greatnan Tue 19-Jun-12 06:43:03

Ringo was the least talented, but also the most modest and pleasant, I thought.
If you take any young person and shower them with money and adulation they would have to be very strong characters not to get an inflated idea of themselves, especially as they will be surrounded by hangers-on telling them how wonderful they are.

nanaej Mon 18-Jun-12 22:58:32

The depth of the lyric is almost unfathomable..obladi obla da life goes on, liiiiife goes on..

But agree speckie very important in my/our personal history and the history of popular music and culture.

specki4eyes Mon 18-Jun-12 22:39:16

"You say yes, I say no, you say stop and I say go go go - da da da da da da da da oh no da da da da da you say good bye, I say hello."

Mmm.. eat your hearts out, serious songwriters!

Only joking, I loved 'em but let's be realistic! grin

merlotgran Mon 18-Jun-12 22:21:24

Prolific songwriters though they were, neither Lennon nor McCartney wrote anything remarkable after they split up. There was obviously intense rivalry but without eachother there was no magic.

Anagram Mon 18-Jun-12 22:07:07

I was going to comment about the hair dye in my previous post, specki, but forgot - yes it's so obvious, yet no one seems to have told him!
My favourite was John, too, but I don't think any of them were as wonderful as we thought they were - who is?

specki4eyes Mon 18-Jun-12 22:01:54

John was my favourite too. But I recently read a biography about him and he doesn't come off very well. All that peace, love, bed-in, save the world stuff was a bit of fakery. Also he badly neglected his relationship with Julian. The Beatles were great for us at the time - they defined our generation, but they imploded after just a few years, was it only 6? Fame and fortune doesn't seem to create happiness. Paul was the most stable - I just wish he'd stop using that mahogany hair dye - you can't fool us Paul.

Re the Cavern - who remembers the sweat-laden condensation running down the walls and that familiar pong of unwashed youth?!! smile

nanaej Mon 18-Jun-12 21:25:26

happy birthday Paul! cupcake Got the first two Beatle LPs for Xmas the first year my parents back in England from working abroad. Remember Sgt Pepper coming out and went to a party that weekend too..perhaps it was yours Humbert! we have that LP cover framed on the wall here!

glammanana Mon 18-Jun-12 20:42:30

I've still got my "With the Beatles" LP with the all black cover and just 4 head shots,I also have the autographs of all 4 which I got in New Brighton when they played at The Tower Ballroom I wouldn't part with them for any amount of money,(or maybe I would if I had the original poster aswell)

Humbertbear Mon 18-Jun-12 20:42:21

I saw the Beatles first Xmas concert. The bill included Cilla Black, Tommy Quickly, The Baron Knights, Gerry and the Pacemakers and Freddy and the Dreamers. I had a party the weekend Sgt Pepper came out . Love The Beatles to this day but not very keen on Sir Paul. I still miss John

Anagram Mon 18-Jun-12 20:40:48

grin merlotgran! Agree with your last sentiment, but fear it is too late...

merlotgran Mon 18-Jun-12 20:33:47

Playing With The Beatles LP to death on my little Dansette record player, revising for exams on Ventnor beach listening to Radio London (always plenty of Beatles songs), cleaning an SU carburettor for my old A35 while listening to Sgt. Pepper through the kitchen window.
Happy Birthday, Paul. Please don't sing at the Olympics confused

Greatnan Mon 18-Jun-12 14:33:35

I agree that many of their songs are both melodic and thought-provoking (especially Eleanor Rigby) but I just don't like Paul McCartney as a person.

glammanana Mon 18-Jun-12 12:45:42

Best times where when we used to go down to The Cavern at lunch time or just after finishing work at the Telephone exchange and having a dance and listen to the music not of just The Beatles but a lot of other fab groups that where on the scene at the time.Happy Birthday Paul,you have a rare talent.

j04 Mon 18-Jun-12 12:08:33

Happy Birthday Paul.

Seeing them at Slough Adelphi in the very early days. There were more than four of them then.

effblinder Mon 18-Jun-12 11:51:28

Just been reliving all my memories of the fab four - many of the Beatles' songs mean so much to me and take me straight back to my youth (dancing round my sitting room with my sister really stands out!)

What are your favourite Beatles moments?