Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Magna Carta

(5 Posts)
feetlebaum Wed 02-Oct-13 22:21:28

'The' Magna Carta (1215) wasn't the only one... there were additional ones later. And it didn't do the ordinary peasant much good, being concerned with the rights of the Barons... (Tt was sealed in this parish, by the way - Runnymede and its meadow are just across the Thames from where I live.)

Daisyanswerdo Tue 01-Oct-13 22:48:47

I didn't hear the talk and am grateful for the link.

I'm now going to be flippant, and say that I'm reminded of Tony Hancock saying "Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"

thatbags Tue 01-Oct-13 20:14:22

You've explained why I was less comfortable with the second half than with the first. Yes, he seems to be a good speaker. I hadn't heard him before.

MiceElf Tue 01-Oct-13 17:50:44

I've just listened. He's a powerful silver tongued speaker. And I agree with what he says about the importance of Magna Carta and the way in which it enshrines equality for everyone under the law. Not that that has ever really been the case in this country, although jerky progress has taken place through the centuries, and we are nearly there.

What I didn't like was his glorification of the English speaking peoples. Whilst there is much to admire about this country and the USA, it stretches credibility to assert that all progress and ideas such as feminism and so on are the product of those nations which speak English.

It seems to me that democracy, equality and the other commendable facets of present day society are the product of struggle. Struggle by both the educated middle classes and the working people of this and other countries to obtain the rights and privileges that the ruling classes took for granted and were unwilling to relinquish.

thatbags Tue 01-Oct-13 16:28:32

I thoroughly enjoyed this talk by Daniel Hannan about the value of the Magna Carta. Has anyone else listened to it? What did you think?