Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Rory Kinnear in "Hamlet"

(17 Posts)
mcem Wed 02-Apr-14 10:03:08

Saw KL trailer last night. Not my favourite either but will see it. As expected looks very gritty and intense. In July, going to see Ant and Cleo at the Globe. Again, not a favourite but that's what's on while I'm in London and I love the Globe. In August it' s Romeo and Juliet again but in the grounds of Glamis Castle.

Grannylin Wed 02-Apr-14 09:36:30

Thanks I am.Just googled it and found KL is showing in Plymouth too.

Iam64 Wed 02-Apr-14 09:17:31

I enjoy the NT cinema screenings. We're off to see King Lear in May, not one of my favourite plays, but the chance to see a NT production live at the pictures is a real treat.

mcem Tue 01-Apr-14 23:20:36

Going back to an old thread. I've just returned from a screening at Cineworld of Romeo and Juliet with Orlando Bloom. It was performed in the Richard Rogers theatre on Broadway. Recommend it highly. He was ok but a) a bit too old for Romeo and b ) very much the 'star actor'. The young actress playing Juliet was superb but I didn't get her name. Excellent supporting cast. Totally enthralled from start to finish.

gracesmum Wed 23-Oct-13 22:46:41

I remember seeing Charles Dance (in whom I was seriously in lust) in "Coriolanus" about 23 years ago at the Barbican - we were in the front of the stalls - swoon!!! O tempora! O mores!

annodomini Wed 23-Oct-13 22:16:18

'Coriolanus' is not my favourite (that's Antony and Cleo), but I might force myself to see it and see if I can change my mind.

Ariadne Wed 23-Oct-13 21:46:10

Yes, "Coriolanus" is 30th January. "Oh mother, mother, what hast thou done to me?" So blaming your mother is not a new thing!

gracesmum Wed 23-Oct-13 21:00:14

When I saw "Hamlet" this summer at the RSC I found myself in tears at Alex Waldmann's Horatio 's "Good night sweet prince........."

How often have I seen and read Hamlet? How well do I know that he dies (as does just about everybody else) but still found myself moved to tears! He is a remarkable actor, one of a "new" generation at the RSC who I think we will see much of in the future - Pippa Nixon, Joanna Horton, Jon Slinger.

hummingbird Wed 23-Oct-13 19:41:45

Yes, Gracesmum, both a bit miserable... ok, very miserable by the end, but still wonderful!

HildaW Wed 23-Oct-13 19:19:13

gracesmum....yes he did just after it moved to London...we saw him at Stratford and had amazing seats...its was a pure thrill

Tegan Wed 23-Oct-13 18:11:31

I gave up with Shakespeare at the theatre as my hearing isn't as good as it used to be [along with most other things] but it's so much louder and closer at the cinema that you can hear and lip read as well. My neighbours grandson is going to be Puck at a performance of A Midsummer Nights dream at the Minack Theatre. How brilliant is that and how I would love to be there!

gracesmum Wed 23-Oct-13 18:02:50

Have watched a few Globe productions in the cinema and like HildaW am looking forward to Richard II on Nov 13 as we missed out on tickets at Stratford and the Barbican is a bit of a tiring journey for DH. YOU were lucky to catch David Tennant's Hamlet as he dropped out quite early on with a back injury didnt he?

I am trying not to comment "Bloody miserable" at both "Hamlet" and "Othello" grin

hummingbird Wed 23-Oct-13 17:47:30

Is funny, Tegan, but it feels like you are watching a play, and not a film. I came out feeling like I'd been to the theatre! I suppose it's best regarded as a useful addition for theatre-goers. Coriolanus is coming in January!

HildaW Wed 23-Oct-13 14:53:52

Interested to read your positive comments about one of these theatre screenings. We will be going to see David Tennant's Richard II in NOv. As I was lucky enough see his Hamlet in the flesh at Stratford and now live a bit too far away to make it practical I am looking forward to this a bit more now.

Tegan Wed 23-Oct-13 14:05:40

I've been watching him in Count Arthur Strong [bit different, that!] but may try to catch on of the Hamlet recordings. Not quite the same as seeing it live [at the cinema] but better than nothing. War Horse, live at the cinema is sold out already but I'm hoping there are still seats for the later ones; not too bothered about seeing it live as I've seen it twice but want to see it close up. Hats off to whoever thought up the idea of these cinema screenings of plays/operas; brilliant idea. I've always found the theatre very hit and miss and so expensive to go to so am prepared to be more adventurous when the play is at the cinema.

hummingbird Wed 23-Oct-13 13:59:46

I saw it too, at Picturehouse at FACT, Liverpool! I agree, Ariadne, seeing a 'live' play at the cinema is a great experience. The audience is as close to the action as it would be in a film version, but with the all the joys of a theatre production. Rory Kinnear was wonderful, and made Hamlet more accessible and understandable than I've seen him before. Rory was brilliant as Iago in Othello, too - catch it if you can!

Ariadne Wed 23-Oct-13 13:45:56

DD, DGD and I went to Ilfracombe last night (boy, do we know the hotspots!) to see a live NT screening of "Hamlet". It was wonderful. You get a talk from the director and the actors beforehand, so understand the rationale behind the particular performance.

And one of the best things, apart from the play, was the comfort and ease of a smallish, lovely theatre where there. Wasn't a vast queue for the ladies or at the bar. After years of fighting my way through the mobs at the National or the Barbican, it was sheer joy.