Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Modern multi-tasking mummy's

(22 Posts)
Deedaa Sat 09-Nov-13 21:03:55

BAnanas one of my friends had a neighbour who not only talked like that to a small child, but was a registered childminder! As far as she could see all the council people were frightened of her and just left her alone.

LizG Sat 09-Nov-13 18:46:52

Sounds like the perfect Nana to me Kiora smile.

BAnanas Sat 09-Nov-13 18:25:02

Deeda the story you relate is awful what a horrible way to talk to a small child.

BAnanas Sat 09-Nov-13 18:20:03

I think that's why time with grandparent/s is so beneficial to very young children, because we actually talk to them rather than into our phones. I guess we are all a product of our time and most of us remember a life without a mobile. Although I find it beneficial having a phone, I'm not addicted to it.

Iam64 Sat 09-Nov-13 18:19:20

Well said Aka. I'm genuinely impressed by the young mums in our friendship circle, who are child focussed, and manage to have active social and often working lives.
I don't want to over generalise, bit my experience of young parents whose main focus is their mobile phones, are the one's whose lives are not as full of positive experiences.

Kiora Sat 09-Nov-13 18:08:04

That's ok Liz you'd laugh if you saw me when I have to actually go in with the balls I look like one of those wobbly toys our children had, and as for the slides well ill leave it to your imagination. I will never be able to change my username to graceful -nana roley-poley nana would fit the bill

LizG Sat 09-Nov-13 09:06:01

I think it was me being contentious Kiora and I apologise. It was just that I had spent time in a similar place and would have loved to get in that ball park.

bikergran Sat 09-Nov-13 08:19:34

and "here here" for all the "multi tasking grandmas" smile

Aka Sat 09-Nov-13 08:00:03

I was with a group of similar mums yesterday. We were chatting, looking after little ones, joining in and playing with older ones. All of us, myself included, received a text message during this time and replied to it. Mine was informing me my DiL was running late and wouldn't be able to pick the GC up until an hour after the agreed time. Another was from her partner asking where she was as he was finishing work early and he subsequently joined us. The mobile phone is part of modern life. We use it to keep up-to-date with day to day living.

It's wrong to assume that most mothers would rather text than interact with their children and friends.

seasider Sat 09-Nov-13 07:43:43

I have posted before that I always used to talk to my children when they were in a pram or shopping trolley. So much so that when they were not with me I was often talking to myself (funny looks in supermarket!)They were all very articulate from an early age so I am sure it helps build vocabulary and interest in the world around. I think it is such a shame when mums are so busy on the phone they do not pay any attention to their children. I went to a mum and toddler group recently where a few of the mums were sitting alone on the phones. Without the phone maybe they would have chatted to the other mums . I know it is hard when you first go in but I have good friends I met at toddler group 35 years ago. smile

Granny23 Sat 09-Nov-13 01:08:29

People should no more be talking on mobile phones when they are pushing push chairs or herding toddlers than they should when they are driving. The same degree of concentration is required for the task in hand.

Multi-tasking? Takes me straight back to winter afternoons in our council maisonette. Next-door-neighbour and me, both pregnant, chattering away while we both did our ironing and our 2 x 2yr olds played happily together in the playpen between us. smile

Kiora Fri 08-Nov-13 23:53:10

Oh I didn't mean to be contentious. I was genuinely impressed. These mums obviously meet up once a week there was a big group of them some playing with the children, some instigating play. Chatting to the children and each other as well as the texting, and Internet use. I'm sure most of the time the breast feeding mummy did spend time making eye contact and giving the baby attention. I breastfed two of my children and occasionally I would watch t.v or chat. What I saw today was very modern good mothers living in a very modern world. Their world very different from ours I suppose it's akin to me breast feeding while jotting down a shopping list with a group of friends while our toddlers played together.

merlotgran Fri 08-Nov-13 22:54:25

Is it maybe the modern equivalent of women chatting whilst hoeing sugar beet with babies strapped to their backs and the older ones playing nearby? Multi-tasking is what defines us.

Galen Fri 08-Nov-13 22:46:08

I must point out that while dd was at soft play breast feeding! her so was there also playing with toddler!

Eloethan Fri 08-Nov-13 21:58:38

It seems that everywhere I look there are mums having animated conversations on their mobiles while their children either sit glumly by their side or start playing up to get some attention.

I felt really sad to see a toddler in swing, the mum pushing with one hand while she talked on the her phone - no interaction with the child at all. I also don't understand how some people have got so much to say!

Deedaa Fri 08-Nov-13 21:51:23

My daughter passed a group of local mothers and toddlers on the way to school yesterday. one of the toddlers was crying so the mother shrieked "Will you shut the f**k up you f*****g little s**t!" This apparently passes for meaningful interaction in some circles. My daughter said her jaw was still dragging along the ground when she got home.

Agus Fri 08-Nov-13 20:00:41

I see this far too often now. Mummy on her mobile, child being ignored.

It's your child you should be talking to, not to someone on the phone! Makes my blood boil when I look at those bored little faces.

gracesmum Fri 08-Nov-13 17:59:07

Fair enough - Kiora but isn't't feeding your baby one of those times when it is worth giving him/her your full attention? Keeping an eye on toddlers is also an "eyes in the back of your head" activity itself, and needs mum to be alert. Too many young women look as if they would need surgery to part them from their phones. Oh yes - think of the "sleb" (can't remember who) whose baby fell out of the buggy while mum was on her phone - remember?
I will never forget the time I had to brake hard when a tiny - maybe 3 year-old, stepped out in front of my car off a road island. Was mummy holding her hand? No, mummy was on her mobile with one hand and pushing a pram with the other. If they have to multi-task, I think some of them also need to sort their priorities out.

LizG Fri 08-Nov-13 16:18:24

I think it is a bit sad that the young mummy couldn't have a play with her toddler too. I realise breastfeeding makes it impossible but having spent time in a similar soft play centre last week with my DD3 and DGS I was longing to get into the ball pond as I used to when she was young. Blast my hip!

Bring back four hourly feeds, it was much easier to plan your life and maybe mum's could leave their ipads at home. Toddlers are fun and it is for such a short time. I had to drag DD3 out when it was time to go, let alone DGS grin

Oh dear I will get told off for such thoughts wink

Galen Fri 08-Nov-13 16:09:24

Could have been DD. Where are you?

tanith Fri 08-Nov-13 15:46:59

Haven't woman always successfully multi-tasked one way or another? I used to breast feed my son while reading stories to the other two.. of course didn't have t'internet or mobiles in those day but plenty of other tasks that could be done in tandem.

Kiora Fri 08-Nov-13 15:28:00

I have just spent a few hours in a very nice soft play centre. While I was there I noticed some of the mummy's feeding baby's, texting, or on the Internet. One young mummy was breast feeding a new born, keeping an eye on her toddler and shopping on line, doing a good job of it as well. I am in awe of these mums