Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

24/7 shopping- has it gone too far?

(51 Posts)
granjura Sun 20-Apr-14 13:13:23

Having this 'discussion' on the Swiss expat Forum. Expats complaining bitterly that shops are closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday (were opened yesterday Saturday). Do we really need to shop 24/7???

Shops here are opened till 7pm, 20pm on Thursdays, and till 6pm on Saturdays- that should suffice no? On top, all train stations and many petrol stations have got small supermarkets open most of the time, and chemist's have rostas to cover week-ends and Bank Holidays.

rosequartz Mon 21-Apr-14 21:17:31

Our Australian visitors were surprised to find the shops open on Good Friday and shut on Easter Sunday and say it is the other way round where they live.

There were only one or two shops open today in our small town, however the supermarket was open.

FlicketyB Mon 21-Apr-14 19:53:02

One of the joys of rural life is that shopping is an effort, so I try not to do it more than once a week.

J52 Mon 21-Apr-14 19:48:10

Not been near a shop since Friday! Is this a record? X

granjura Mon 21-Apr-14 18:55:13

I went to our 24/7 Tesco twice, on the way back from airport after a holiday, both times at about midnight. I was just amazed to see families shopping with kids, toddlers and babies- both times on a school day (: no wonder some kids are in such a state at school- poor things.
And seeing families with screaming kids on tow on a Sunday, I felt so sad they didn't have more enjoyable things to share.

Iam64 Mon 21-Apr-14 18:51:25

I'm with those who would prefer to have a traditional day off each week. As others have said, surely folks can manage without going shopping on one day a week.

whenim64 Mon 21-Apr-14 11:46:40

^anno* I arrived for my visit to Greatnan on a Sunday and she explained that all the shops were closed. How peaceful it was to drive through towns and villages and see people with their families, relaxing in the sunshine or sitting at pavement cafés. No rushing about. Such a refreshing change. There's a lot to be said for having a traditional day off each week.

annodomini Mon 21-Apr-14 10:49:24

Visiting Lausanne with greatnan almost a year ago, on a Sunday, I was quite surprised to find everything closed, but did appreciate the quiet atmosphere. We did manage eventually to track down a café where we could have a brew. I treasure the memories of that week.

felice Mon 21-Apr-14 10:13:09

here in Belguim most shops close on Sundays and holidays, but there are lots of markets and corner shops, and the awful tourist shops in the city centre are open, small supermarkets if they open on a Sunday they must close on another day during the week.
I love taking DGS to our local market after Church on Sunday, there are lots of international food stands, Oyster and Champagne stalls and the usual Fish van, Roast Chicken/ribs van and all the veg and artisan cheese and bread etc. A lovely way to spend an hour even in the winter.
I don't think most xpats here would want to change things, I have only heard one young man from London ever complain, but he didn't settle to Xpat life.

Mamie Mon 21-Apr-14 05:04:11

I think most people know about opening hours in theory Deedea; just that the true implications don't become clear until you actually live in a place full-time.
I will plead guilty to not having checked out the term-time opening hours of swimming-pools though. grin
I also didn't understand the crippling effect of social contributions on small businesses until I ran one. Paying around 100% of salary again in contributions does tend to limit how many people small businesses employ. It really isn't just about shop owners wanting long lunches and days off. In the UK you can employ people part-time for a few hours; you just can't do that here.
We researched for years before we moved here ten years ago, but there are lots of things that only become clear when you really get to know people and understand their lives.

Penstemmon Sun 20-Apr-14 21:54:02

I do think we are over-relaint on an 'open all hours' culture. I know life moves on and in the past more women were at home and shopping daily for meals etc. But now we have fridges/freezers etc. I now rarely go shopping before 9:00 or after 5:30. Working hours are longer for people so we have to cater for that ..but bank holidays should be bank holidays for non emergency/essential workers who want them and no-one should be forced to work on a holiday.

Deedaa Sun 20-Apr-14 21:23:54

John Lewis and Waitrose used not to open on Sundays and bank holidays because the partners voted against it. Eventually they seem to have changed their minds. I know that John Lewis found Sunday opening was a double edged sword - sales were up, but paying higher wages for Sundays meant profits were down.

I am surprised at how little some people know about other countries before they go to live in them. I am well aware that if I was ever able to move to Italy the shops would be shut for 2 hours at lunch time (but parking is free for those 2 hours which can be useful) and most shops would be shut on Sundays and Mondays. The pasticciera will be open on Easter Sunday morning so that everyone can take a selection of cakes home after Mass.

Mamie Sun 20-Apr-14 19:52:32

Thank you; as it would be to meet you too. It is such a beautiful country. We have been to most areas except the far north of Brittany, but there is so much still to re-visit.
I love France, even though it drives me mad at times!

granjura Sun 20-Apr-14 19:42:34

Glad to hear you went to Ornans (and the lovely Vallée de la Loue)- which are indeed quite touristy. We live on the Swiss side as you know, in Watch Valley- the area where most great watches are made- but not touristy here.
I am ashamed to say I've never been to the Courbet Museum, but it is definitely on the list for this Spring.

If you are ever in that area again. you would be most welcome. Would be lovely to meet you.

nightowl Sun 20-Apr-14 19:35:23

I still think it is good for the collective soul to have a day when not everything is about consumerism, the economy, and general busyness. It is ok to say that no one is forced to shop on Sunday if they don't want to, but that ignores the fact that our 24 hour society has an impact on all of us, especially those who are compelled to work when they might choose not to. I speak as someone who worked unsocial hours for many years with an effect on my health, and I had more choice than most. I long for those long, boring Sundays when everything stopped for a while. I know we can never turn back the clock to those days.

'What is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?'

Mamie Sun 20-Apr-14 19:19:15

Funnily enough Granjura, there was a lovely programme on French TV this afternoon about Gustave Courbet and the Jura. We have been to Ornans, but many years ago. A lovely part of the world.
In summer I swim in the sea (off the D-day landing beaches.) None of my French friends can swim and a lot have "aquaphobie". Perhaps something to do with not opening the swimming pool enough?
Sorry, wildly off topic. I find that I don't mind eccentric opening hours until I need to buy something and the shops are shut. hmm

granjura Sun 20-Apr-14 19:04:01

Mamie, yes Switzerland- but our Jura area is not touristy at all. We also have a heated Olympic size open-air swimming pool openend same hours between early June and mid October- although in Summer I much prefer to swim in the lakes (our nearest lake is Lake Neuchâtel).

thatbags Sun 20-Apr-14 18:51:36

That certainly does sound like a waste, mamie.

ffinnochio Sun 20-Apr-14 18:48:45

After some initial re-adjustment re. opening hours when we moved to France, after 11 years I am quite content with it. Local supermarkets have reasonable opening hours, closing for lunch during the winter, and keep open during that time for the summer for the 'blow-ins' as the second homers and holiday makers are called hereabouts.

There's always a pharmacy open somewhere.

Banks closed on Mondays, and our local post office erratic opening times are still an enigma to me, but it is at it is.

I keep a well stocked larder and freezer and rarely feel I need to jump in the car to get anything without waiting for a while. Besides, it suits our simple financial budget.

I suppose I have adopted the french shrug when something is closed when expecting it to be open.

We recently had a new roof and the men turned up at 7am, worked until noon, returned at 2pm and continued until 7pm. Cheerful and hard working. Certainly don't begrudge their 2 hr. lunch break.

The local shops were open this Friday and Saturday. Always closed on a Sunday anyway apart from an express Super U and the bakery, which is enough, surely. As for this Monday, I haven't a clue, as I don't feel the need to rush out for anything tomorrow.

Mamie Sun 20-Apr-14 18:32:57

Is that Switzerland, Granjura? I know some tourist areas here do that, in fact I think the one in Caen does, but it is a 120km round trip. The local ones which all have 30m pool, plus leisure pool, plus (in some cases) outdoor pool, plus baby pool, only use a bit of the main pool for schools. sad
Such a waste.

granjura Sun 20-Apr-14 18:26:49

Ours is opened 8am till 10pm week-days, and 9am to 6pm Saturday and Sunday. We are very lucky.

Mamie Sun 20-Apr-14 17:53:20

Yes Bags, but the schools don't use it before 0930 or after 1600. I think it is hugely advantageous if people can swim before work; I used to go at 7am in England. In the holidays, it doesn't open until 1000 and at 0955 the receptionists come out, lock the doors and smoke a cigarette while a huge queue builds up. What does that say about attitudes to public health?

thatbags Sun 20-Apr-14 17:32:31

mamie, haven't read the entire thread so sorry if it's been covered already. Re public swimming pools only being open to the 'public' for a short time, isn't it because it is used for schools during the mornings and afternoons? That is certainly the case at our nearest swimming pool. During school holidays it is open to everyone at more times than during school terms. There are also swimming club and lesson times when only two lanes might be open to Jo/e Public. School kids are part of the public of course.

There are no 24/7 shops anywhere near us. Mind you, there are very few shops at all near us. The ones there are open on Sundays and most public holidays but only during "normal" hours.

FlicketyB Sun 20-Apr-14 17:31:10

Many people now work shifts in all kinds of jobs, emergency services have been mentioned and hospitals, but utilities have staff working all hours, call stations, media and telecommunications. DD is a television sub-titler and works what is effectively a 24/7 shift system. She works from home and while I do not think she has ever finished a shift at 3.00am and gone to Sainsburies, she has certainly gone at 10.00pm after a 9.00pm finish and 7.00pm before an 8.00am start.

I think the main reasons that supermarkets are open 24/7 is that they employ overnight staff in the shop to fill shelves, move stuff around, change displays etc so decided they might as well keep the doors unlocked and one till open for any passing trade.

The idea of a Sunday family day now is going shopping together!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Apr-14 16:50:14

I heard on the radio this morning that there is a move afoot to exempt garden centres from the restricted Sunday opening hours. Three brother-owners of a garden centre which happened to be local to us, said they would not welcome the idea because they, and their staff, need a bit of time to be with their families on a Sunday. Sounded reasonable to me.

granjura Sun 20-Apr-14 16:47:40

I think most or the rest or Europe agrees that things have gone too far in France- and that it is not possible for the economy to stay afloat, whilst people want to retire at 55 at the latest- and work 35 hrs at most with about double the Bank Holidays other countries have. It is the source of permanent jokes here in my border region- a the most vociforous are th frontaliers who of course have to work longer hours and have less holidays, etc. Just does not balance out- and the French themselves are the ones who will suffering the end.