Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Music for hot weather...

(55 Posts)
Tegan Wed 23-Jul-14 14:34:52

Is anyone else digging out music that they don't often listen to? I've just put on Best of The Byrds and am worried that I haven't got a Beach Boys cd [may have an audio tape somewhere].

geeljay Wed 23-Jul-14 23:29:06

On the music subject, we looked up a couple of oldies on you tube, and ended up following a trail of some of our favourites from years back. About 2 hours later having a little smootch around until OH tried to do a version of Chuck Berry dance in the kitchen ended up in heaps of laughter on the floor! No gardening today! Promised to clean out the pond, but now on hold, due to a 'painful knee'. Ho Ho.

Eloethan Wed 23-Jul-14 23:32:15

At the River - Groove Armada
Summer Breeze - Isley Brothers

Tegan Wed 23-Jul-14 23:50:52

Ana.... I meant I'd also not seen any ladybirds but hadn't realised it till you said it...I'm now worried about all the things I haven't seen but hadn't realised it cause no one has mentioned it.

NanKate Thu 24-Jul-14 07:56:27

I go onto Youtube Music and type in smooth Latin jazz and I get some lovely hip jiggling music to dance about to in the kitchen. I notice my youngest grandson 17 months starts swaying his hips when I start up the music.

Tegan I have got Mr. Tambourine Man in my head since you mentioned The Bryds. And what was the Beach Boys one that started 'The east coast girls are hip ..... ?

I still listen to Sounds of the 60s every Saturday. I will be really sad when Brian Matthews pops his clogs, perhaps Tony Blackburn will take over.

Happy Days. smile

Eloethan Thu 24-Jul-14 15:02:29

nankate "California Girls" Beach Boys.

Wallygrom Thu 24-Jul-14 16:31:44

I have had the Beach Boys o the CD in the car with windows down all week - fab!!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Jul-14 16:42:19

That's a point. Where are the ladybirds? confused

I know they are worried about declining numbers of butterflies - heard David Attenborough on the radio - but not ladybirds.

Scaredycat1 Thu 24-Jul-14 17:25:11

The Gypsy Kings

NanKate Thu 24-Jul-14 21:31:34

Thanks Eloethan flowers

merlotgran Thu 24-Jul-14 21:39:54

Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale. Misty harvest mornings then a heat haze later in the day.

Judthepud2 Fri 25-Jul-14 10:57:36

This might make me sound pompous but anything by Vaughan Williams especially 'The Lark Ascending'. So evocative of hot countryside in early summer, larks hurling themselves into the air singing with a backdrop of the hum of bees! Still get this (although admittedly the hot summers are rare wink ) up in the Mourne mountains where we have a cottage. Happy days.

Eloethan Fri 25-Jul-14 11:29:52

Not pompous at all - beautiful music.

Tegan Fri 25-Jul-14 11:55:11

I agree; all sweeping landscapes. Realising that the music is mainly 'outdoor music' in that, even though I'm mainly inside the house the music I'm listening to makes me feel outside..surfing [as if I'd ever surf shock], walking in the countryside, being on the beach etc. As for the sunsets we've been having lately; wow! Now going to watch a bit of the Commonwealth Games and play The Byrds again. And it's retro music, which I don't often play. Which is why, I suppose,when I think about my childhood, the sun is always shining [never, ever remember it raining].

NanKate Fri 25-Jul-14 14:52:55

My summers in the 50s seemed to be endless sunshine. I wore shorts and an airtex top with t bar sandals. I would cycle for hours with my friends and we were perfectly safe. What halcyon days. smile

Tegan Fri 25-Jul-14 15:31:23

I do remember the fogs we used to have; they usd to send us home early from school because the buses weren't running [even though you could only see a couple of feet in front of you and had to walk for miles hmm.

J52 Sat 26-Jul-14 07:18:56

Summer in the City - Lovin' Spoonful from the hot summer of 1968! X

NanKate Sat 26-Jul-14 07:50:36

Yes Tegan I remember those fogs as well just awful. Do you remember when only the rooms that had a fire in we're relatively warm and everywhere else was freezing ? Central heating was unheard of.

Back to the wall to wall sunshine. Off for a picnic today with our visiting family. It's gone well but it will be lovely to have the house back to ourselves on Monday. tbsmile

Tegan Sat 26-Jul-14 09:49:21

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m648v4s5sFc
..had to listen to it!

J52 Sat 26-Jul-14 10:01:32

Thanks Tegan, I really enjoyed the link. Odd movie though? Xx

kittylester Sat 26-Jul-14 10:05:17

'Up on the roof' and 'Under the Boardwalk' and, if you give me a minute, I'll tell you who recorded them! The Drifters - possibly confused

rosesarered Sat 26-Jul-14 21:56:38

Sleepy Lagoon [music to Desert Island Discs]
Summer In The City,
Lazin' On A Sunny Afternoon

rosesarered Sat 26-Jul-14 21:57:09

Blue Bayou

NanKate Mon 28-Jul-14 10:52:30

I have got into the mood for summer music since reading this thread however when I clicked onto my usual YouTube music and typed in Relaxing Summer Music many of the pictures to promote the music were of sexually provocative women. confused

I am no prude but why do women have to be portrayed so often as sexual objects, as opposed to thinking women. In a few years my two GSs will be using the internet and I am horrified at what they will see and how they will treat women because of it. I will have to do my best to guide them (in an unstuffy way) through what looks like a minefield.

It's a sad old world. sad

Tegan Mon 28-Jul-14 11:02:28

I was pondering that the other day because in a programme I was watching it showed Joan Jets first group, The Runaways and some of them wore very provocative clothes even though they were a breakthrough female band and were feminists. I've never quite worked out why feminists have to wear such clothes and why it is supposed to be empowering. I mean, the sexiest woman on the planet years ago was Debbie Harry when she used to wear things like bin bags.

NanKate Mon 28-Jul-14 12:11:25

I'll put a bin bag on Tegan and see if it enhances my looks. hmm