Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Past pantos.

(32 Posts)
rubylady Wed 05-Nov-14 17:03:48

My brother, sister, cousin and I have children who are now passed going to pantomimes and so miss the Christmas outing. We decided yesterday, however, to now swerve the panto in favour of a more grown up show.
Have any GNers any suggestions where four slightly fruit loop adults can go for our Christmas family time together? grin

ninathenana Wed 05-Nov-14 17:31:24

No suggestions but lots of people never outgrow panto. My friend, DH and 26yr old DD go ever year.

rubylady Wed 05-Nov-14 17:43:32

I would have still gone but my brother was not keen but then I don't think he took his own children to be honest, I think his ex wife and her partner took them. It really doesn't matter as long as we are all getting together and having some fun. We are going through a lot at present with elderly parents so some light relief together would be the tonic we need. smile

ninathenana Wed 05-Nov-14 18:10:38

It depends where you are really and how far your willing to travel. smile

soontobe Wed 05-Nov-14 19:14:18

Ice skating if you are prepared to possibly break some bones?!

rosesarered Wed 05-Nov-14 19:55:45

If you live near any big city there must be a show on [not panto.]? Or travel to London and stay the night.
Ice skating at a garden centre [most thses days have an outside skating rink for December.]
Ten pin bowling? Loads of fun.

rubylady Wed 05-Nov-14 21:22:34

I live a few miles from Manchester along with my cousin, my brother in Preston and my little sis in Manchester itself. They all have transport apart from me. smile

PRINTMISS Thu 06-Nov-14 17:00:03

I am really lucky, because our son, (if you have read my blog you will know he has learning disability), has his birthday on Christmas eve, and although he is now a grown man, he loves the panto - takes after me, and so the birthday treat is a panto visit on his birthday, when all the children are there, and yelling their heads off. All three of us are the geriatrics of the panto, although there are often a lot of grandparents there on that day. Sets the scene for what I think is one of the nicest times of the year.

rosesarered Thu 06-Nov-14 18:13:43

That's lovely PRINTMISS glad that he has a great outing for his birthday and you are never too old for panto!

grannyactivist Thu 06-Nov-14 18:18:02

Here are a few ideas rubylady:

www.visitmanchester.com/articles/christmas/events/family-christmas-carols-at-tatton-park/

www.visitmanchester.com/articles/christmas/events/hall%C3%A9-carol-concert/

www.visitmanchester.com/articles/christmas/events/the-hall%C3%A9-s-christmas-sing-along/

www.visitmanchester.com/articles/christmas/events/third-thursday-late-christmas-ghost-stories/

www.visitmanchester.com/articles/christmas/events/little-shop-of-horrors/

grannydiggerdig Thu 06-Nov-14 18:23:44

I don't know how old your grandchildren are, but if they are around 10 and upwards I recommend Slava's Snow Show. It's truly magical for everyone.

Tegan Fri 07-Nov-14 10:58:10

Derby Playhouse often do a version of A Christmas Carol; they're doing so again this year. No matter how many times we see it, we still enjoy it. One year they did The BFG; although primarily aimed at children I don't think an adult anywhere wouldn't have enjoyed it. Productions of The Snowman are always good, too.

vampirequeen Fri 07-Nov-14 11:10:43

You can never outgrow pantomime. You don't need children. In fact it's better not to have young children as it means you don't have to go to the noisy matinee lol.

PRINTMISS Sat 08-Nov-14 08:23:24

I was at an interesting meeting where a man spoke about pantomimes, he was very much involved with the one at Brighton. I did not know that these started out life as little comic plays after the serious ones, back in the old days. They were in fact little mimes which told the story of husbands who were being cuckold by their wives. They were so popular that they eventually became the main event. And the slapstick was in fact two pieces of flat wood which was 'slapped' to make the noise. Just thought you might like to know that useless piece of information.

vampirequeen Sat 08-Nov-14 08:33:41

I didn't know that. I'm really glad you shared it. Pantomime fascinates me.

hildajenniJ Sat 08-Nov-14 09:34:06

My DH and I try to go to a pantomime of some kind every year. Last year we went to a production of "The Sleeping Beauty" put on in Riding Mill by the amateur theatre group there. We really enjoyed it and it was the perfect start to our Christmas.

ninathenana Sat 08-Nov-14 13:20:29

I would love to go to the Christmas sing-a-long GA posted link for. A bit too far from Kent though sad

ninathenana Sat 08-Nov-14 13:24:28

Ooooh, Royal Albert Hall. Now who can I drag along persuade to come with me !

whitewave Sat 08-Nov-14 15:28:37

Yes we have some tickets for the RAH Christmas sing-a-long and looking forward to it. Staying the night in a boat! moored on the Thames, and then will do some Christmas sightseeing the following day

Woodstock Mon 10-Nov-14 09:35:14

My sister (also a Grandma) and I have freebie tickets for the Ideal home Christmas Show at Earls Court - where there's an ice skating rink. Should I have a go or not? My sister says she won't but my kids are telling me I should live life to the max. Can't say I fancy a broken bone (have a wedding to attend soon, and a cast is not a good look) but then again...............

wotanuisanceABC123 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:20:50

My great aunt was "The Worlds Most Famous Principal Boy" we were the poor relations, especially after my mum married my dad ......."A German"

wotanuisanceABC123 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:33:09

quite strange having famous relatives! Her son directed "Thomas Beckett" and as he was gay, was mentioned in many famous men,s biographies ha ha!

wotanuisanceABC123 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:39:26

My brother dared to go and see her (where she lived in Baker Street) and all she did was talk about herself. her sister, Renee, was lovely but was always overshadowed by Dorothy! don't know what's bought all this to mind! I've got lots of stories about her if anyone's interested.

harrigran Thu 29-Oct-15 17:50:40

I guess we are talking about Dorothy Ward here, how interesting.

wotanuisanceABC123 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:58:28

Yes!! You must know about her. Her brother was my mums dad.....Lesley Ward. And my mums brother was an extra in coronation St. They were best friends with Beryil Reid. My mum even wore clothes passed along by dear old Beryril!!