Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Flash fiction anyone?

(10 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 05-Jan-15 09:34:14

I noticed recently the various threads on cabin fever, cocooning and people no longer able to go out much for a variety of reasons. Anyway, I wondered if people might fancy trying out flash fiction as an alternative to TV, crosswords, word searches etc? What you have to do is write a story in 100 words only. There`s a website to submit them to. www.fridayflashfiction.com . Its run by a nice chap- a Grandad naturally. Its an interesting mental challenge and its also good to read the other stories. People seem to send them in from all over the world. Its amazing how varied all the stories are considering the constraints of 100 words only. Have a go.

Mishap Mon 05-Jan-15 09:56:55

Looks interesting - thanks for posting that. I may give it a go.

cazthebookworm Mon 05-Jan-15 09:59:06

I have had a look at the sight, it looks very interesting, some great stories, I might even have a go myself. Thanks for the link.

annodomini Mon 05-Jan-15 10:15:44

Thanks Jane10. I've forwarded the link to members of our U3A writing group. We've done flash fiction exercises before and I think this would be a good way of getting our grey cells working after the festivities.

ffinnochio Mon 05-Jan-15 13:06:57

What an interesting idea, Jane10. I've never heard of Flash Fiction before - think I'll take a dip in and look around.

daffydil Mon 05-Jan-15 13:15:32

I love this idea Jane10 and I will definitely be having a go after I have read some of the submissions I did a creative writing course a few years ago which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't get out as much as I would like and, as with Gransnet, it is the sort of thing which makes you feel more part of the world. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Jane10 Mon 05-Jan-15 13:53:05

I`ve done a couple and submitted them. You can post comments on other people`s stories. Some are very straightforward, some are pleasantly daft, others are very serious or just boring! Get to it Grans!

thatbags Mon 05-Jan-15 15:14:57

Looks like a nice idea, jane10. I shall check it out too.

Eloethan Mon 05-Jan-15 18:39:45

Thanks Jane10 - some of them are rather good.

ninathenana Mon 05-Jan-15 19:39:45

phoenix one for you I think smile

I will definitely check out the link thanks.