Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Wolf Hall

(55 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 21-Jan-15 17:41:36

BBC 2 tonight @ 21.00.

I can't wait - am almost beside myself with anticipation and excitement! grin

I saw the stage play, and Bring Up The Bodies, so expectations are high!

NotTooOld Wed 21-Jan-15 23:16:23

Thank goodness for that, Tegan, I thought it was just me.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Jan-15 23:17:16

I had the sub-titles on just in case, but found I didn't need them. (Unusually for me) I thought it was very good. Bit disappointed they didn't start right at the beginning of the book, just had flashbacks. But I suppose they've got to fit it all in.

Might watch it again tomorrow - kept dozing off towards the end and having to rewind! Result of having fire and candles burning. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Jan-15 23:18:44

Tegan I must start watching my Game of Thrones dvds gain. Never got to the end of the box set. I found the books easier to follow. You could go over a few pages again.

NotTooOld Wed 21-Jan-15 23:19:20

They made that remark about AB being flat chested but she seemed quite well endowed to me. I couldn't make out what she said for some of the time then I realised it was French!

merlotgran Wed 21-Jan-15 23:21:02

I had problems with the flashbacks as well but glad there was no mumbling.

Really enjoyed it.

Ana Wed 21-Jan-15 23:25:35

I love the fact that this thread is on Culture and not TV and Radio! grin

NotTooOld Wed 21-Jan-15 23:31:57

Oh yes. I wonder why that is?

Tegan Wed 21-Jan-15 23:32:28

jings; I watched the GoT's dvd first series and, not having read the books found it complicated with so many characters so I watched the dvd's again, this time with the commentary in which the writers and actors talked me through what was happening. Rather than shattering the illusion of it I found the details of how they produced it fascinating. I'm now reading the first book and finding out more about the characters. I find them and all the various elationships fascinating [my favourites being Tyrion and Bron]. I was in tears last night watching one of the scenes between Tyrion and Shay [sp]. But have had seriously bad nightmares about White Walkers shock. Then of course there's Sansa and the Hound [there's a common thread here, isn't there; the higher born people and their protectors].

Soutra Wed 21-Jan-15 23:46:16

Cos' we are kulchered peeps, that's why Ana!

Ana Wed 21-Jan-15 23:54:13

Of coarse! I knew there would be a reasonable excuse explanation!

NfkDumpling Thu 22-Jan-15 07:35:45

Brilliant! I'm glad I'd read the book though, otherwise the flashbacks would have been a problem.

Greyduster Thu 22-Jan-15 09:46:18

I'm glad I read the books too, otherwise I would have struggled to know who half the characters were as they are not yet sufficiently fleshed out. I wonder if flashbacks are going to be a feature of this series; at the moment, there is not a lot to anchor some of the characters to the story. I thought it looked wonderful - filming it by candlelight could have been visually disasterous but new film technology has made it look like an old master painting. Can't wait for the next one.

sunseeker Thu 22-Jan-15 10:21:28

I haven't read the book so I watched the programme with no pre conceived expectations. I can't say I was immediately hooked but I will keep watching as the first episode of a series is often slow. I now watch everything with the sub titles as so many actors appear to mumble - but that could be my hearing!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Jan-15 10:37:03

Tegan you do realise that you will be reading the GofT all the summer, don't you? That's how long it took me! But really good escapism. I'm a bit disappointed that George Martin didn't get round to writing the last book himself. As far as I can make out the tv people wrote the upcoming last series in conjunction with GM. I will have to wait for the DVDs as have not got Sky.

Whoops! Better get back to Thomas Cromwell. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Jan-15 10:38:36

Yes Riverwalk! Why d'you pick culture? grin

Oldgreymare Thu 22-Jan-15 11:12:56

So far, I think I prefer the books, altho' I also needed to 'settle into' those too.
Damien Lewis, as Henry V111, needs to win me over ( I think I read somewhere that he is basing the character on Wills and Harry....confused)

rubysong Thu 22-Jan-15 11:15:41

Thank you Anno for answering my question.
I enjoyed it but was a bit disappointed by Anne Boleyn as I thought she should have been a bit younger and more charming. Maybe she will be charming when we see her with Henry. Love the costumes.

Tegan Thu 22-Jan-15 11:17:59

All summer jings! I'm a really slow reader..it'll take me a year to read the first book! It takes George Martin up to 6 years to write one of the books which is why the adaptation is overlapping the books. The big fear amongst fans is that he's quite elderly and not the healthiest looking person on the planet, and everyones terrified that he won't get round to finishing the series. It's all so complicated he has to check and double check what he's written about each character. He's very involved with the series though, and writes one episode per series [not usually allowed as they say the author is too close to the story to adapt it]. I would imagine that he's given them a synposis of the whole story just in case something happens to stop him writing it.Dan and Ben [?] write most of the episodes anyway and they know the characters inside out. One of the things George Martin asked them when they wanted to produce it [people were lining up to do so I think] was 'who is Jon Snow's mother'. When they told him, he knew that they 'got it' and let them produce it. I know I'm quite bonkers about it but the characters are as deep and complex as any that I've read in other books, because he explores what makes evil people evil and you start to question everything and everybody and the reasons/motives for what they do. But, hey, I don't need to sell it to you grin. And you get to love the characters so much that you fear for them [and quite rightly so sad]. The only one that bores me is Stannis [my daughter says the same] but it may be different in the books....[?]

POGS Thu 22-Jan-15 11:40:19

Greyduster.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say the characters were not sufficiently 'fleshed out' if you have not read the book or don't have a very good knowledge of Cromwell's family life and his rise. Can somebody expand on Cromwell's family life and rise or power, is this an historical fact or poetic licence for the reader. ?

It was only a minor issue for me but I still Henry as Brody from Homeland.

Grannyknot Thu 22-Jan-15 18:08:00

Husband and I really enjoyed Wolf Hall (neither of us have read the books). Looking forward to it next week. Rylance as Cromwell is brilliant.

If I need additional support to understand plots or to get to know a bit more about characters in a TV series, I google "episode guides" on my Kindle and help enlighten husband too. Bit like "Steph and Dom" from Gogglebox (not sure which is which but they're always on their tablets whilst they watch). She always plonks a pillow between her legs to rest her tablet on smile.

Treebee Thu 22-Jan-15 22:21:11

I thought the first episode was good though I'm glad I've read the books. It would have been hard to follow otherwise. As it is I get in a muddle with the politicking .
It was a treat visually though wasn't it? The costumes and the settings were stunning.

Tegan Thu 22-Jan-15 22:22:40

I'm just about to watch it properly on iplayer.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Jan-15 23:09:17

Mark Rylance doesn't really look like him though, does he?

the real one

Nothing like I imagined him either.

merlotgran Thu 22-Jan-15 23:19:34

Damien Lewis is not how I imagine Henry VIII

However...

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/11360747/Wolf-Hall-explained.html

Tegan Thu 22-Jan-15 23:34:18

Enjoyed it this time. Wish I didn't recgnise so many of the actors though. Every time I see Mark Gatiss I expect him to say 'are you local'? I think Mark Ryland is very good. But still think Anne Boleyn is without charisma.