Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Tracey Emin's Bed

(16 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 08-Apr-15 17:33:15

The story of Duchamps urinal was the afternoon play on Radio 4 the other day!

I still think the empty room with a light going on and off every 30 seconds was utter crap rubbish, and that actually won the Turner Prize that year!

PS Some of Tracy Emin's sketches have quality.

NotTooOld Wed 08-Apr-15 11:26:23

If you don't like the bed look up Duchamps' urinal. That'll make you laugh!

loopylou Tue 07-Apr-15 19:53:52

I'm sorry but I just cannot see it as 'art', nor anything else TE has produced. Mind you though, I'm happy to admit I'd be the last person who'd be chosen as an art critic!

petra Tue 07-Apr-15 19:49:00

'That don't impress me much' Shania Twain.

TerriBull Tue 07-Apr-15 10:43:57

I never understood why Charles Saatchi paid all that money for someone else's unmade bed, surely he could have asked Nigella to mess their bed up a bit. Maybe he did and she refused and that's why he tried to strangle her whilst they were having lunch on that fateful day the press were hanging around outside the restaurant shock Unmade, messy beds littered with detritus, not always conducive to a happy marriage!

whitewave Tue 07-Apr-15 10:19:15

I might "get it" if someone explained what she is saying or portraying.

petallus Tue 07-Apr-15 10:17:41

You either get it or you don't!

petallus Tue 07-Apr-15 10:17:26

I like Tracey Emim and her art. I am hoping to see the bed soon.

whenim64 Tue 07-Apr-15 10:14:57

I heard Tracey Emin on the radio the other day. She says she hasn't replaced anything, but every time the bed is moved and put on display she goes along and completely redoes the whole installation. She's as gobsmacked as others at the prices paid for it. I don't get it, either. hmm

Grannyknot Tue 07-Apr-15 09:59:47

thatbags - minibags' logic cannot be faulted. When we moved out of our house in SA, a pair of my sewing scissors, which the children had been forbidden to touch, turned up in my daughter's room. It had been missing for ten years.

As for Tracey Emin - saw the bed, didn't get it, I think it has been "updated" over the years, I read somewhere that the original sheets needed replacing. And don't get me started on the neon scribbles... I don't rate her as an artist.

henetha Tue 07-Apr-15 09:46:40

It don't impress me much.. ( That's a line from a song, can't remember which one.)

tiggypiro Tue 07-Apr-15 08:17:25

Yes I have seen it and also other 'works' of hers. Emperor's New Clothes always springs to mind.

thatbags Tue 07-Apr-15 08:11:15

Emin's Bed aint got nothin' on Minibags's bedroom which, along with the usual teenage 'mess' (she says she's an organised person) contains dismantled furniture. She can only be bothered to put clothes in drawers if the drawers are permanently open, as in lying on the floor.

pompa Tue 07-Apr-15 07:55:02

Mrs. P could sell my chair and it's surrounding nest of "stuff". Trouble is, she would probably want to include me in the lot.

vampirequeen Tue 07-Apr-15 07:50:05

I find some art difficult to understand. I sort of get the idea behind the Bed but I don't understand why it's so valuable. My DDs were creating similar works for years but we just called it a mess.

suzied Tue 07-Apr-15 07:43:18

I went to see Tracey Emin's Bed which is on display at Tate Britain for a while. I have to admit I found it fascinating, a snapshot of messy, disorganised lives many of us remember from our teenage/student days. The sheets, tights etc are all ageing, just like us. I can see that some people think it is pretentious tosh, but I have to admit a soft spot for Tracey Emin. Anyone else seen it? Does it still shock?