Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

modern slang

(7 Posts)
loubell Thu 21-May-15 11:03:07

Anyone see the new acceptable words in Scrabble in the news this-morning??...they have added a number of new words to the game's dictionary, many of which are modern slang such as LOL and obvs. I would never really use these words but thought it was quite funny, and was wondering if any of you use modern slang?

Katek Thu 21-May-15 11:21:26

I use a few slang terms....not so sure they're slang so much as abbreviations though. Lol, np, atm, imho, lmao, rofl are ones I'd use but they come from text speak.

Ana Thu 21-May-15 11:24:26

I thought slang related to speech. I do use abbreviations such as BTW and IMO in texts and on here, but I'd never actually say them.

Gagagran Thu 21-May-15 11:27:24

I play on-line scrabble from an American site (Just Words) and some of the words they allow/disallow baffle me. English divided by the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to scrabble so I find some of the new list of acceptable words a bit hard to accept. We all had slang of our generation I suppose but would not have expected them to be used in scrabble

Katek Thu 21-May-15 11:28:16

That's what I was thinking Ana. It's written not spoken.

loubell Thu 21-May-15 11:29:08

I don't really use modern slang either, I wonder what words could be added from our youth...

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-May-15 11:39:24

I play online Scrabble via Words with Friends, Gagagran, which I believe is also American. It allows some ludicrous letter combinations that I cannot call words, but wouldn't allow me to sweep to victory against my DS last week with the adjective yankee. Grr!