Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Cardiff Singer of the World

(10 Posts)
Mishap Wed 17-Jun-15 23:19:19

How brilliant this is! Tonight's winner was sublime!

Humbertbear Thu 18-Jun-15 08:32:06

I love this competition. The singers are all wonderful and I always look forward to watching it. I thought about going to Cardiff this year and didn't book seats but I have decided that in 2017 I am going to book for the final if I can. I have thought about a season ticket and going for the week. What bliss it would be to hear all the singers live!
Final thought, not one of them said they wanted to be famous. What a refreshing change .......

Mishap Thu 18-Jun-15 08:54:41

And also there was a sense of camaraderie between the singers - the Welsh lass commented that it did not feel competitive.

I did once go to the final with my DD and we had a great time - but did not agree with the judges' choice of winner!

I think it is more difficult now to get tickets for the final, as they are not sold separately to begin with - you just by season tickets. Occasionally there is a finals ticket going begging - but at a price!

And the Proms are about to start - how lucky we are to have these wonderful musical events beamed into our living rooms!

absentgrandma Thu 18-Jun-15 13:20:28

I always look forward to this competition, but I hardly ever agree with judges.... just shows how much I know! There were several singers I infinitely preferred to last nights winner ....the young American Lauren Michelle (the South Korean would have been my choice) and the interview between her and Angel Blue (can that seriously be her real name ?) nearly had me reaching for the sick bag. I think I'm going to mute Angel tonight so that I can enjoy the music and the singers.

Mishap Thu 18-Jun-15 13:46:01

Yes - I take your point about the USA sickly sweet mutual fan club at the end. But Lauren Michelle was by far the most technically gifted, coupled with excellent musical interpretation. Her ability to sing pianissimo at any place in her range was quite exceptional, and a feat that remains quite beyond me. I was blown away by it.

I too thought the South Korean tenor was in the running and may reappear as the wild card finalist.

The tenor from Malta was pretty dire I thought.

I am not mad about the new system whereby anyone who wins a round is automatically in the final. If they are in a relatively "low quality" round (although they are all pretty brilliant!) then the winner might be not nearly as good as an excellent singer who does not win in a round with all better singers.

The singers who get my vote are those where I am rooted to the spot and cannot even post on GNet as my whole being is absorbed in the magic that they weave!

Mishap Thu 18-Jun-15 20:58:51

SPOILER ALERT! - of you haven't watched this yet, do not read on!

I was not sure about the Mongolian - everyone was raving about him, but I am not sure I "got it."

I thought the French girl was good. Amazing high notes.

Nelliemoser Thu 18-Jun-15 21:05:53

I thought that Mongolian baritone was brilliant. It was the sheer power of his voice that got me.

Humbertbear Fri 19-Jun-15 08:47:30

The Mongolian singer was fabulous. He seemed emotionless when he was interviewed but he poured his heart out when he sang. I think he will take the overall prize. The Congolese singer also has a great future but needs more training. Maybe I'll buy a season ticket next time.....
We have tickets for 3 Proms and I'm delighted that my son and his wife are taking their children to some concerts too.

Mishap Fri 19-Jun-15 08:57:40

Tickets for the proms! - how very lucky you are! - enjoy!

absentgrandma Fri 19-Jun-15 13:36:18

He-who-shall-be-nameless was faffing about with the remote so I arrived when the Austro/Turkish tenor was on his first piece. He didn't have a jaw-dropping voice compared to the Mongolian singer but he had charisma and looks to die for (I'm very shaĺlow). And he sang well-known arias. Not in the Pavorrotti league of tenors but who ever will be? Looking forward to tonight if we can get a signal (sod's law we won't). I wonder if the Mongolian will win the title?