Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Ancient Iranian pottery-making

(7 Posts)
thatbags Sun 13-Dec-15 09:45:46

A video of an Iranian woman, Nana Soghra, making pottery from scratch using ancient techniques, apparently the last person in Iran to use them. The video has been sent to Lakeside Pottery in Stamford, Connecticut so that the techniques can be relearned and preserved.

ffinnochio Sun 13-Dec-15 10:44:40

Sounds fascinating, but sadly we're having lots of probs. with the Internet - slower than slow. Frustrated that I can't check it out! Glad to read that this traditional skill is going to be preserved.

thatbags Sun 13-Dec-15 10:57:37

Meh. Hope you can keep it bookmarked for a more propitious time.

mollie Sun 13-Dec-15 13:35:15

Would be a pity if Iran lost a precious art form...

thatbags Sun 13-Dec-15 13:50:57

She uses odd bits of broken concrete/plaster to make the pots on. No wheel. And, other than her hands for shaping, only small pieces of wood to help scrape the pots into shape. It looks like quite hard work. You'd need strong hands. I guess practice has made hers strong and fit for the job.

The family is involved in sieving the dry clay powder to being with. I presume they've dug it up themselves too. Strands of goat hair are added to the clay after it has been mixed with water and bashed a bit.

I've been watching in bits (it's about half an hour long) and am just nearing the end. Update anon.

thatbags Sun 13-Dec-15 13:56:40

No oven is shown so I'm wondering if the pots are baked in the sun.

I would also like to know which part of Iran they are in.

ffinnochio Sun 13-Dec-15 17:35:00

Thanks for the additional info, B . Yes, have bookmarked.