Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

but is it art?

(66 Posts)
sunseeker Fri 22-Apr-16 12:37:59

There is an "art installation" in Bristol at the moment. An artist has moved two cows into a marquee in the city centre and plans to live there with them for the next week, milking them (by machine) three times a day. She claims it is to raise awareness of where our food comes from. Now I live in a farming community and feel that cows belong in fields not in a tent in the middle of a busy city, very close to a very large nightclub. I am all in favour of people learning more about where their food comes from but can't see that this will do that.

Elegran Sat 23-Apr-16 15:43:18

Apparently that one is leaking formaldehyde fumes - readings around the glass case are far higher than they should be. I wonder which is worse - methane farts from the cows or formaldehyde fumes from the art installation?

Jalima Sat 23-Apr-16 15:54:39

grin
but is it art?

Jalima Sat 23-Apr-16 15:55:10

or arty-farty?

[groan]

Hattiehelga Sat 23-Apr-16 16:51:45

Art ?- no. Crackers ? - yes.

trisher Sat 23-Apr-16 17:06:54

So now children will think cows are kept in tents and milked by artists. Fields and farmers will be forgotten!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-Apr-16 17:36:23

It's so bad that milk is cheaper than bottled water. If this small exhibition goes some way to showing just how arduous dairy farming is, that can only be good. Well done her. It's not meant to be art. It's meant to be informative.

Be fairer to dairy farmers!

And of course it won't hurt the cows. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-Apr-16 17:38:21

It's not a stunt. It's time people woke up to the unfairness in the way the farmers are treated by the likes of bloody Tesco.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-Apr-16 17:38:57

Where would we be without our milk?

Elrel Sat 23-Apr-16 19:13:56

Re Shaun the Sheep - We had over 200 5' Owls in Birmingham. They brightened up the city and got strangers talking to each other. When they were sold off the city looked boring and I felt quite bereft!

M0nica Sat 23-Apr-16 19:22:57

I am in total agreement with you jingls, but it doesnt make this stunt art.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-Apr-16 20:04:48

Who actually said it was 'art'? Where did that information come from?Just because she happens to be an artist doesn't mean she can't make a non-artistic political statement. As she has. On behalf of the farmers.

Jalima Sat 23-Apr-16 20:08:34

It's not a stunt. It's time people woke up to the unfairness in the way the farmers are treated by the likes of bloody Tesco
Yes, yes, yes
However, Tesco aren't as bad as Lidl, Aldi and Morrisons!
Morrisons even have the nerve to sell what is probably the same milk at a premium so that we can choose whether or not to pay a fair price for the milk to the farmer!!

Your last post 19.22.57 is also spot on, jingls

Jalima Sat 23-Apr-16 20:08:54

Andbloody Asda

Gemmag Sat 23-Apr-16 21:36:46

Does Ms Reid thinks it is safe for her to sleep in the centre of Bristol City with just 2 cows for company for 5 nights?. Is Ms Reid funding this herself?. It would just be interesting to know who is paying for this exhibition!.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-Apr-16 22:00:36

I expect a local farmer has been quite happy to provide the cows. And the milking equipment. Who knows, perhaps his company too. smile

Gemmag Sun 24-Apr-16 08:13:49

Miss Reid is probably a farmers daughter as she seems to be very hands on.?

There was an excellent programme on Radio 4 today on milk production on a farm in Sheffield at around 6.30 am. Woke early.

Jaxie Sun 24-Apr-16 11:03:08

Artists with little real talent trying to establish themselves are desperate to be seen to be original, so rack their brains attempting to be different, not for art's sake, but to feed their egos. I like writing, but I don't foist my stuff on others because I'm aware that I'm a mediocre writer, with little that's original to say. Tracy Emin's bed installation was much criticised, but the woman can actually draw well too, and communicates her ideas very successfully. Give the poor bl--dy cows a break for goodness' sake. I trust The Arts Council hasn't funded this ridiculous spectacle. PS: my name was once anagramised by a colleague as Kelly-Jo Acid.

Gemmag Sun 24-Apr-16 15:49:30

Nessie Reid is a member of 'Fiery Spirits to Community of Practice'.
You learn something new every day.

rosesarered Sun 24-Apr-16 15:56:54

Does anyone remember ( years ago) the pile of bricks in the Tate? Or the Arts Council funding of two men carrying a plank around Britain? Stunts!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:03:36

Read this You just might get the gist of what it's all about then. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:05:04

Why do people have to take things at face value without trying to understand them properly. It's really not that taxing to the brain. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:07:04

It's not meant to be a bloody art exhibition.. It has got a serious function. To educate the population. And, my God, some of 'em need it. hmm]

Jalima Sun 24-Apr-16 16:08:49

Well, I say good for Nessie Reid!!

Well done that girl for having some initiative.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:11:01

more reading

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:11:51

At last! Someone seeing the light! Praise the Lord!