Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Response to Trump's comments on women who have had an abortion

(14 Posts)
thatbags Tue 26-Apr-16 11:42:45

This is a very clear consideraton of the response by "pro-lifers", as they call themselves, to what Donald Trump said about punishing women who have had abortions: Abortion, punishment, and moral consistency.

sunseeker Tue 26-Apr-16 13:05:57

Donald Trump's comments were crass and ill considered, hopefully they will mean he will lose votes. No-one, especially a man, has any right to dictate whether a woman chooses to have an abortion. I have never been in that position myself but would think that it would not be a decision taken lightly. I know someone who had an abortion because of health problems many years ago and she still mourns that child today.

Judthepud2 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:46:07

Donald Trump is a bigoted idiot! Heaven help US if he becomes president.

thatbags Tue 26-Apr-16 21:46:42

Yes but the idea was that people read the article, which is not about bloody Trump but about the ethics of the responses to his twerpy comments.

Could anyone after this just take the Trump bigoted idiot thing as given. Amazed I need to ask that.

absent Wed 27-Apr-16 06:38:27

On reading the pro-life arguments, the word equivocation springs to mind.

thatbags Wed 27-Apr-16 06:48:37

Indeed, though the author certainly makes a good argument in their favour, doesn't he?

Anniebach Wed 27-Apr-16 12:46:10

Abortion is taking a life and many women live with guilt for life

Iam64 Wed 27-Apr-16 13:34:52

yes Anniebach and those women who are in the position of seeing no alternative course of action need compassion and support, not criticism and rejection, especially from idiots like Mr Trump

ninathenana Wed 27-Apr-16 14:50:06

I would never condemn any woman for having an abortion if that's what she decides is best for her at the time.
One or two may regret it at a later date which is sad but we all know life can be.

Anniebach Wed 27-Apr-16 15:32:30

Fully agree Iam

Judthepud2 Thu 28-Apr-16 09:09:52

I'm not a great fan of abortion as a method of contraception but there are reasons that many women choose it as a desperate way out of a difficult situation. I live in a country where abortion for ANY reason at all is illegal. This is because of the (mainly male) politicians who can't understand the need for it. Women are condemned not supported! angry

Iam64 Thu 28-Apr-16 20:24:36

I don't see anyone here (or know anyone in RL) who would use, or advocate abortion as a method of contraception Jud.

Judthepud2 Fri 29-Apr-16 11:11:31

I said that as a general comment on my own stance on abortion Iam not as a response to anyone's points on this thread. Not sure of the reason for your comment. ?

Iam64 Sat 30-Apr-16 08:21:29

I made the comment because it's not unusual to hear people saying that abortion is now used routinely as a form of contraception Jud. I' m not disputing that some women (and rather more men, I suspect ) are careless about contraception but I don't believe that abortion as a means of contraception is very common. I wasn't intending to be confrontational