Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

John Whittingdale and the BBC

(17 Posts)
varian Tue 14-Jun-16 18:32:34

Tory Culture Secretary John Whittingdale wants to stop the BBC broadcasting popular programmes such as "Homes under the Hammer" and "Bargain Hunt" - apparently because they are too popular and have been running too long. Any comments?

://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/entertainment/martin-roberts-says-john-whittingdale-totally-touch-british-viewers-want/

varian Tue 14-Jun-16 18:38:00

inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/television/bbc-must-axe-homes-hammer/

Tegan Tue 14-Jun-16 18:41:12

The S.O. mentioned this to me a few weeks ago. I LOVE Homes Under the Hammer and always time my visits to the gym so I can watch it while I'm on the treadmill.

Tegan Tue 14-Jun-16 18:46:29

'The BBC must also not get into “bidding wars” for foreign imports which could be shown by other UK broadcasters'
....I suppose they want it easier for Sky to purchase them..sad

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 18:47:59

Wait until Brexit. He's gunning for Auntie.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Jun-16 18:56:22

He's welcome to those two progs.

Indinana Tue 14-Jun-16 19:05:38

He's welcome to those two progs.
Well yes, but that depends on what replaces them. Better the mindless drivel you know... wink

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 19:10:56

I thought the BBC was supposed to be independent of government? It belongs to the licence payer. Whittlingdale butt out!

Anniebach Tue 14-Jun-16 19:17:33

Isn't there a new charter due?

POGS Tue 14-Jun-16 20:32:20

Voice and opinion of Lord Hall BBC Director General.

www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1290837/Lord-Hall-BBC-charter-lot-pleased-about.html

GillT57 Tue 14-Jun-16 20:47:29

Whittingdale is part of the Brexit cabal and no doubt has promised the rat Murdoch that he will sort the BBC in return for the support of The Sun.

POGS Tue 14-Jun-16 21:36:56

Why is Lord Hall saying what he is if the BBC are getting a raw deal?

Lord Hall says the BBC has had a good deal and for 11 years, what am I missing?

Marmark1 Wed 15-Jun-16 09:14:33

TV not governed by the government,you won't convince me of that.

varian Wed 15-Jun-16 10:10:03

The BBC is supposed to "inform, educate and entertain" -principles laid down by Lord Reith. The popular programmes that John Whittingdale wants to axe could in a sense tick all these boxes. It may be that they are pretty low brow but I don't imagine they cost a lot to produce and lots of people enjoy them.

John Whittingdale's preferences when it comes to entertainment apparently include spending time with a dominatrix - not for everyone but let him get on with it.

What seems to me to be not just wrong but very dangerous is allowing the government to control or censor the BBC which must remain politically independant. The right wing already have a disproportionate influence in the media but I wouldn't want a left wing government or any other government ever to control the BBC.

Nonnie1 Wed 15-Jun-16 11:05:41

How very dare he !

I love Homes under the Hammer

whitewave Wed 15-Jun-16 11:14:03

Murdoch is King of the UK.

His influence is always to a degree obvious.
At the moment he is busy working on Brexit

varian Wed 15-Jun-16 11:34:42

If Rupert Murdoch had his way there would no longer be a UK. Remember last year he instructed the readers of the Sun to vote Tory and the readers of the Scottish Sun to vote SNP - and they did.

Brexit is only the first move in the breakup of the UK which seems to be his main goal. Remember he is not British and his excessive power here is no indication that he cares a hoot about this country.

The SNP are also campaigning to control the BBC. They don't like News at Six because it comes from London, even though Scottish viewers, like those elsewhere also get local news. They would like to replace it with something they refer to as "Scottish Six" which for all we know could turn out to be an hour long party political broadcast for the SNP.

This is dangerous control freakery. Totalitarian governments everywhere want to control the media.