Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Going it alone.

(119 Posts)
rubylady Sat 25-Jun-16 05:06:40

I really do want to go to the Ab Fab film but have no one to go with. Do other GNers go to the cinema/theatre on their own?

I also want to go and see Jenny Eclair at a theatre nearby in September. I have wanted to see her for a while but I do feel a bit wierd going by myself. I just wish I had someone to go with and share some fun time. smile

GrandmaMoira Sat 03-Dec-16 21:59:38

As a widow, I go to the cinema on my own and also to museums and galleries and lunch out. I tried holidaying on my own but didn't like the evenings stuck in a small hotel room. I'm happy to do things on my own daytimes but not evenings, mainly because I'm nervous about travelling on my own in the evening.

annsixty Sat 03-Dec-16 21:29:54

We have a very active group started through Street life. I can't go because of my H but a recently (12 months) widowed friend has found a very active social life including meals out, cinema, theatre, walks etc. Mostly women but a few males and she could be out every weekend if she chose. It is sometimes a question of searching for local activities.

loopyloo Sat 03-Dec-16 21:14:19

This is a problem. I really need about 4 friends. One to go to concerts with, one for garden visiting, one for going out to eat and one for going to art galleries. Oh and one for the cinema .

trendygran Sat 12-Nov-16 10:25:39

Hard at first but I do now go to the cinema and ,a few times,even the theatre (matinee)
on my own if friends not around or interested in the same film or play.
I do also go WITH friends if possible which IS nicer,but would rather go on my own than miss something I would really like to see.
I do envy those who still have their partners to go with, but it's now 8 years since I lost my DH so I've had to adjust to doing things on my own -still not easy!
Be brave Rubylady and I guess you'll be surprised how many others you see on their own . I was!!

rubylady Sat 12-Nov-16 05:59:48

Actually Shanma this thread was started some time ago, when I was new to the area. I have since made friends and have a selection of people to go to the cinema or anywhere else I fancy with, men and women. Being single, I have a choice of company. wink

Shanma Sat 12-Nov-16 00:10:01

Yes, go it alone, get yourself a big bag of popcorn or whatever takes your fancy, settle down and enjoy it, take your slippers if you want. I would. I never care what anyone else thinks.

rubylady Fri 11-Nov-16 04:55:11

I'm in sunny Bolton, Lancashire. X

grannylyn65 Thu 10-Nov-16 17:58:36

What's your area Ruby ?

SparklyGrandma Mon 01-Aug-16 16:46:31

I used to go to the theatre on my own all the time in London as well as with friends. A tip is I would pick matinees, the National Theatre at the SouthBank has several matinees for every show, some weekday afternoons, some Saturday afternoons. You might not feel so bad when you see how many people go at that time of day.
I used to go to the Tricycle in North London, they almost always had a Wednesday 2pm matinee - it was always packed with people over 40..

Pittcity Mon 04-Jul-16 08:45:58

Jaxie, I go to one of Essexgirl's coffee groups. As far as I know she found suitable venues and then advertised date and time in places like GN local, streetlife and on posters. She then took contact details as people turned up and keeps everyone in the loop as to what is on. Word has spread and the groups are doing well.

GandTea Mon 04-Jul-16 07:36:30

Many U3A's have cinema/theatre groups, and if they don't t is easy to start one.

chelseababy Mon 04-Jul-16 06:37:33

Jamie you can start a group through "meet up", search online.

Jaxie Mon 04-Jul-16 01:49:01

Tell me how you start a women's coffee club please.

MagicWriter2016 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:34:33

If you feel confident to go on your own, just go. But, have you thought of putting an ad in your local paper saying you are looking for a female friend to go to the cinema and shows with. Am sure there are plenty folk of a certain age who for whatever reason has lost touch with their old friends who would like some new ones. Hope you enjoy your film/show.

Battersea1971 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:24:25

I was widowed two years ago, so the person I did these things with is no longer here, and I have had to look for friends in the same boat as me who live locally. Not sure if you are in this position. If so there are a couple of groups called way up and jolly dollies, so you could join your local group you will find details on the Internet. There is also a group called streetlife, I've met people through that.
Hope this helps you or others.
I live in Surrey so a bit far from you.

MargaretM48 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:42:48

Hi - I often go places on my own, including the cinema, theatre and holidays. However, look out for the U3A in your area. They often have a cinema/theatre group and that means there is always someone to go with. Don't be nervous about going somewhere by yourself though, just enjoy the movie/show. Good luck

clarke4179 Tue 28-Jun-16 08:08:58

We have a "silver cinema " here. Tuesday and Thursday seniors pay just £3 and that includes tea and biscuits! The films are usually a few weeks old but most of the people are on their own so are very welcoming

rubysong Mon 27-Jun-16 21:31:08

I once got the train from Cornwall to London on my own to see Sean Bean in Macbeth. Quite happy on my own and loved every minute of it!

Pittcity Mon 27-Jun-16 21:25:50

Go ahead Rubylady post on your local GN Forum. There may be someone near you in the same boat.

Waveney Mon 27-Jun-16 20:21:47

I have just experienced one of the benefits of going to concerts alone - I very much wanted to see Alfie Boe and Michael Ball this winter and when I looked for tickets there was just one left at the venue I wanted! I would echo many of the previous posts that you should just go and enjoy what you like, and there's a pretty good chance you will get chatting to someone!

brunswick Mon 27-Jun-16 11:52:35

I went to the theatre on my own for the first time about 4 years ago to see a matinee of Les Mis. It was fine, not very busy and a few other people on their own. That gave me confidence to go again to other matinees. I went to the cinema too first time on my own. Was fine. I've travelled many times on my own and enjoyed it - will lunch anwhere here or abroad on my own, but will not go for dinner - but thats ok. Go for it. It always surprises me when friends who couldnt do this, say "oh you went on your own" meaning how brave of you! Yes like others have said, I always end up talking to someone.

seadragon Mon 27-Jun-16 11:51:28

Forgot to say that the thing I always liked about National Housewives Register - now National Women's Register - is that its membership includes the full age range of adult (women) unlike U3A.

nana5ue Mon 27-Jun-16 11:37:59

Is there a U3A near you? Google to find one as they are great for meeting people like us and often have theatre or film groups so that you can 'chum up' just for the evening or afternoon, no strings attached. I am in west Bridgford u3a and we have lots going on, so good for day time things.
I often go to things on my own anyway as friends don't always like the same things.
Why miss out on something you want to do, life is too short, ask Cilla orVictoria Wood!

Helena1 Mon 27-Jun-16 10:55:23

I usually go solo in the afternoons, avoiding all the 'happy' couples...

Strawberry10 Mon 27-Jun-16 10:49:32

I go to the cinema on my own all the time. There are always other women who are on their own there too.