Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Sheet music

(8 Posts)
Greyduster Sat 14-Jan-17 18:34:05

I did have to bin some of it, and I have decided which I will keep. I am currently murdering my way through selections from 'The King and I', gettingonabit - the stage version with Herbert Lom and Valerie Hobson so it shows how old this stuff is!! Then I may move on to ’Desert Song' hmm. The stuff which is beyond my limitations (too many of those little black things) I will get rid of. There are some antique centres around here so I may have a look to see if I can dispose of any of it there. Otherwise, I'll get DS to ebay it and give whatever it makes to a charity. Thank you for all your suggestions - all good ones!

Elegran Sat 14-Jan-17 17:50:54

Here there is a Christian aid booksale im May every year in a big Central church and its halls and filling a courtyard outside, which makes thousands for Christian aid. They have a sheet music section where there are always people browsing and buying the scores for instrumental music of all kinds. Is there one near you? It is a good place to give your uneanted books to as well, hardback or paperback, latest bestsellers or old and even antiquarian copies.

NanaandGrampy Sat 14-Jan-17 17:37:52

Crafters who do any sort of papercrafting would purchase it by the sheet from you . I would estimate it's worth 70-80p a sheet plus postage . I would eBay it .

gettingonabit Sat 14-Jan-17 17:35:27

More to the point, grey I hope you're playing that piano! grin

PoshGran Sat 14-Jan-17 17:16:58

If it's not already too late Greyduster, may I suggest local Antique Shops/Fairs & even carboots.
I don't know if you'd be paid much - if anything - but I was delighted to pickup (for £1) the sheet music for "Come to the Fair" a couple of years ago, at the annual East of England Antiques Fair (dodging T Wonnacot et al Bargain Hunting!).smile

Greyduster Tue 29-Nov-16 14:24:20

nina we recently got rid of a coffee table that I could have used it on!

ninathenana Tue 29-Nov-16 13:49:56

What about up cyclng a small cabinet or similar by covering it in the music. Ive seen a great coffee table with sheet music under a sheet of glass.
You could also ask local nursing homes etc. if residents had any use for it.

Greyduster Tue 29-Nov-16 13:30:49

DH bought me another piano recently - not a new one, but a much better one than the one we had. With it came a double piano stool and inside the stool was a whole lot of sheet music. I have only just got round to going through it and some of it is so old, it predates me (anyone remember Issy Bonn? Jack Hilton?). It certainly predates the piano which is a modern one. All of it is pre-decimal and mostly forties and fifties. There are one or two books that I will keep, and some that is disintegrating so I'll throw it in the bin, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do with the rest? I hate the thought of binning it all. We used to go to a restaurant where the walls were 'papered' with sheet music, but I don't think DH would go for that!