Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Edinburgh Fringe

(35 Posts)
Anya Fri 13-Jan-17 10:29:44

I've never been to The Fringe and it's on my Bucket List. So this year I will go. There no problem with accommodation as I have relatives in Motherwell and can get the train in daily.

But I don't actually know how it works as it were. I'm aware there's various acts, plays, comedians, etc from well-known to complete amateurs. And logic tells me there must be venues all over the city.

So I figured there is bound to be those on this forum who can offer some practical advice and suggestions, so this poster can get the best from the experience. I'm thinking just a couples of days for a start.

Anya Sun 15-Jan-17 11:51:13

Definitely ready for boots off! Peace and quiet with a good strong flat white.

I'll be the one with my feet up on the table just to lower the tone.

Jane10 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:14:44

Naturally Elegran! Actually a GN meet up is a cultural event in itself!

Elegran Sun 15-Jan-17 11:05:36

Shoes off under the table, I hasten to add. We do want to keep up appearances, don't we.

Elegran Sun 15-Jan-17 11:04:32

Maybe Anya wants to be in the middle of the action? Or will she be ready for a bit of peace with her shoes off?

Elegran Sun 15-Jan-17 11:03:11

I think the performances are up on the top floor at the back, aren't they? The restaurant and the smaller rooms will surely still be available?

Jane10 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:57:31

Its the 'action' I want to avoid! The usual venue would be good. Straightforward to find for anyone unfamiliar with Edinburgh. Its a performance venue though?

Elegran Sun 15-Jan-17 10:50:32

Why not, Jane, perhaps at everyone's favourite place on Princes Street? Though somewhere like the Dome may be where the action is.

Anya Sun 15-Jan-17 09:24:23

I can happily meander into a watering hole Jane to rest my weary feet.

Jane10 Sun 15-Jan-17 09:21:16

I bet we could organise a GN meet up in Edinburgh to coincide with your visit Anya or would that interrupt your cultural meanderings too much? Elegran? How about it ?

Anya Sun 15-Jan-17 08:53:47

That's sounds like a great experience Elrel even the dodgy bits.

All these replies have given me a flavour of the event and it'll be less like heading into the unknown. I take a holiday alone every year, 2015 Jersey, 2016 Cornwall (Eden Project, Lost Gardens) and enjoy the freedom it gives me to go where I want and do what I want and I'm slowly working my way through my bucket list.

Thanks for all the ideas, especially the practical tips transport-wise.

Elrel Sat 14-Jan-17 17:01:06

I've had two wonderful weekends at the Festival years ago. Elegran has described my experience well. I got off the overnight train from Kings Cross at Waverley, stoked up with breakfast and was off! Began at 9am with a magic show by two young brothers from North London, next a Restoration Comedy then a kaleidoscope of varied shows for two wonderful days.
Stayed with friends of friends a bus ride from the centre. Got stranded, buses had stilled, no taxis free, failed to find a hotel room. Tearfully spoke to a police man who assured me I'd be safe walking and indeed I was, an assortment of cheerful, harmless others were doing the same!
I think I'll make a bucket list ?

Anya Fri 13-Jan-17 19:35:00

Thanks for the tip about the trams. Last time I was there they were still being reinstated and it was chaos.

Motherwell will suit me fine and I've explained why.

Jane10 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:52:17

Och ignore me everybody. I'm just a miserable cow!

jollyg Fri 13-Jan-17 15:37:05

As many here complain, I just wrote a comprehensive post, tried to Edit it. Gone, moan over! Why is this site so useless? only due to the posters, both good and moony.

Edinburgh is not just the Festival and Fringe, there is the Tattoo! Busses come from all over Europe for this event. Best seats are on the East stand with the castle as a backdrop, and sometimes a super sunset to boot.

At the end of each performance there are fireworks, and good too. The folks who live cheek by jowl with the Castle are fed up with all the noise and either use earplugs to rent heir houses out.

They have a rehearsal evening about a week before , tickets available. Worth looking up as they can easily sell out.

Re accommodation Uni halls are good as well as hostels, some are very near to the action. Motherwell is a fair journey away.

For a bit of peace from the throngs of tourists there are th Botanical gardens where they also holds shows 23/27 bus from the Mound.

I confess not being around town then, as its too busy and pushy, tho any local will help you.

Enjoy

Elegran Fri 13-Jan-17 15:02:01

kitty You could stay on the outskirts of the city and travel into the centre by bus. Every suburb has stacks of small guest houses and B&Bs where you would be well looked after without paying city centre costs and could get back at a reasonable time after an evening show - and you'd get a peaceful night's sleep too.

kittylester Fri 13-Jan-17 14:55:17

We decided that next time we will stay outside and travel in and quite fancied East Berwick until we looked at hotel/self catering prices to discover there is also a golf tournament at the same time.

Elegran Fri 13-Jan-17 14:39:45

Make another note - if you catch a tram, you need to have bought your ticket from the machine before you board, and show it when asked. Otherwise you will be fined £10. (there are machines at each stop)

Anya Fri 13-Jan-17 14:24:34

Note to self...buses don't give change.

Elegran Fri 13-Jan-17 14:23:26

Jane . . . and at every bus-stop there is always one person who desn't know that the driver can't give change, and waves a £5 or £10. The bus can't move on until it has been explained and they search all their pockets and purses for yhr right amount, ask around the other passengers . . . If all hotels and B&Bs would tell their guests, and suggest a day ticket (and tendering the right amount for it!) travel would be so much better for averyone.

janeainsworth Fri 13-Jan-17 14:18:51

Oh dear jane10
Presumably many small businesses in Edinburgh benefit from the influx.

Anya Fri 13-Jan-17 14:16:56

This is exactly what I need to know. Thanks. I've ore-ordered a brochure but they're not out until .June 7th, but have also registered online for info.

Great idea about the day the ticket.

Jane I live in a tourist destination too, and even today there were about 50 Japanese tourists cluttering up our tiny town each with at least 3 cameras. They of course had to step into the road to get photos so I'm not sure all 50 made it back to their coach. Doubtless they're all headed to Stratford now. So sympathies.

Jane10 Fri 13-Jan-17 13:41:48

Oh no its all coming back to me. Sitting fuming on the bus as 40 students slowly get on, Americans trying to pay their bus fares in dollars, people dawdling along and suddenly stopping to take selfies, the noise from thousands of wheely cases over the cobbles, having to avoid eye contact with 'actors' trying to get you to attend their show.
The blessed relief when its over. It never seems to occur to festival goers that some of us aren't on holiday and need to get to places!
Of course GNers aren't like that!!smile

Elegran Fri 13-Jan-17 13:32:55

If you did nothing more than walk along Princes Street and down the Royal Mile you would see street performers doing all sorts of stuff. Then there are the people with handfuls of flyers for shows, who shove them into your hand if you as much as slow down near them.

Read the official Fringe programme and mark any that appeal - the most popular are sold out early, so if you want to see a particular performance book it. Then read the reviews in the papers (and listen to word of mouth) to know which of the unfamiliar shows are good. They too will fill up with all the other people who have read the reviews. Often you can really enjoy something just picked with a pin, but you could also get a real turkey. It is all part of the fun.

Wear comfortable shoes, carry a mac and a bottle of water, and get a day bus ticket that lets you hop on and off buses without having to shell out the right change each time.

Enjoy!

janeainsworth Fri 13-Jan-17 12:59:42

Loads to see and do during the daytime Anya, and no specific location. Best to have a look at the programme and see what takes your fancy. Risk of information overload though!

Anya Fri 13-Jan-17 12:51:56

I'm combining the Fringe with visiting the elderly aunts. Last time I was 'up' it was five years ago and since then two have shuffled off this mortal coil sad So I'm duty bound to stay with them. Also I'm going alone so would rather have company in the evenings.

Is there plenty to see during day time hours then? It's just 'being there' and soaking up what's on offer as it were. Is there one area in particular where there's more going on than others perhaps?