Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Theatre in London

(9 Posts)
mumofmadboys Tue 07-Feb-17 13:13:26

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Much appreciated.xx

mumofmadboys Tue 07-Feb-17 13:12:28

We will go out for a meal as well Kitty. My son doesn't bother about 'cool' and likes the theatre.He is using the opportunity of being in London to go to things he doesn't normally go to so he has tried an opera and intends to try a ballet as well as various plays. He loves all the museums as well.Being the youngest of five he doesn't mind at all what other people think of his choices!! He hates shopping and likes to have minimal clothes. Not necessarily an average 20 year old but he's lovely!

kittylester Tue 07-Feb-17 10:49:48

I didn't enjoy The Curious Incident despite having loved the book. I haven't seen The Kite Runner as I saw the reviews too.

It depends what he's into really doesn't it? Musicals, heavy, farce etc etc! Look in one of the Sunday supplements for what's on and then Google reviews of anything that takes your eye.

Another point bare you sure he would think it cool to go to the theatre with his mum and dad? Ours would rather have been fed and taken shopping.grin

Nana3 Tue 07-Feb-17 10:00:31

I saw The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime last week, it is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. In fact I've seen it twice and read the book.
I've read the Kite Runner and although it's a good book I don't know anything about the play.
Have a lovely time.

Bellanonna Tue 07-Feb-17 09:40:44

The Curious Incident is excellent. I enjoyed reading The Kite Runner and wanted to see the play, but it got rather bad reviews. Maybe you could check them out?

mumofmadboys Tue 07-Feb-17 09:36:03

Thank you both of you. Never heard of Menier. Love in Idleness looks interesting.

Alima Tue 07-Feb-17 09:14:01

Not seen the two you mention but DD1 and her partner recently saw The Book of Mormon. They said it was brilliant but not for those of a sensitive disposition. Bit risqué!

Riverwalk Tue 07-Feb-17 08:58:51

'Curious Incident' is great - I'm going again next week, taking 11-year GS who'll be with me during half-term.

For small independent productions have a look at the Menier Chocolate Factory, near The Shard. Everything they do is fantastic and they have a fab restaurant too!

Menier

mumofmadboys Tue 07-Feb-17 08:31:38

My DH and I are going to London overnight to see our son at uni there. I wondered about the three of us going to the theatre. My son likes the theatre but can't afford it very often unless he gets last minute cheap tickets. Any suggestions as to what we should see? I was wondering about The Kite Runner and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night. Has anyone seen either of these and what did you think of them. Any other suggestions? Thanks