Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Handel Opera

(6 Posts)
SallyDapp Wed 08-Feb-17 00:02:17

I'm off to see Aida this weekend and looking forward to it immensely but if got me thinking, I have a bucket list which includes an eclectic mix so as well as seeing Guns and Roses in June I'd really, really, really like to see Handel's Rinaldo because it contains some of the most amazingly beautiful arias ever written. Anyone know of any companies putting on this opera, I can't find anything online.

suzied Wed 08-Feb-17 06:02:38

Can't help you with Rinaldo, but it is a lovely opera, especially with a strong counter tenor. If you are near London you might like to visit Handel's house museum behind Oxford Street, they occasionally have recitals there. Enjoy Aida!

M0nica Wed 08-Feb-17 15:42:58

We saw it at Glynebourne about three years ago. It was a wonderful production.

Glynebourne have a DVD of their production for sale on their web site for £25.

TriciaF Wed 08-Feb-17 15:48:42

I don't know that one, but remember singing in the chorus for Acis and Galatea.
Especially the bit "Behold the monster Polypheme!" He was a cyclops.

M0nica Wed 08-Feb-17 16:01:26

I forgot, you can also hire Glynebourne's production, if you have a spare opera company which would like to perform it.

I was a bit doubtful when a friend offered us tickets for Rinaldo. DH is really the opera 'aficionado' in our household, but 50 years of opera going with him has widened my interest, but I felt Rinaldo was probably still on the edge of my appreciation, but I really enjoyed it. Clever witty production and, as you say, SallyDapp, fantastic music.

SallyDapp Wed 08-Feb-17 17:02:19

Thankyou,
M0nica I have that on order now.