Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

La La Land

(11 Posts)
Chewbacca Mon 27-Feb-17 19:58:05

I likened La La Land to ordering a cappuccino and finding you'd only got a cup of froth.

Beammeupscottie Mon 27-Feb-17 19:55:06

I heard on tv from a musician that the songs in la la land were very simplistic because the actors were not good singers; this is why they were so forgettable. Ditto the dancing! A nice film but not top rate.

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 19:23:14

For a moment there ( at the award ceremony) LaLa Land thought it had won! what a cock up.

ffinnochio Mon 27-Feb-17 18:42:19

Opening set piece a classic - great cinematography.
Musical theme well balanced and great original jazz scores
Costumes - nicely done with a nod to retro. Ditto the dancing.

I enjoyed the love story and it addressed the conflicts that can that arise. Not all love stories have a Happy Ending!

I found this film uplifting and easy-going. Enjoyed the La La Land dream ending and the contrast to the reality.

Of it's genre, a thoroughly enjoyable watch. Oscar material ..... not really ... But enjoyed it's originality.

Iam64 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:20:42

gma, if La La Land is indeed the "biggest load of garbage " you have ever at through - lucky you.
I agree, it's somewhat over rated - but there are very many much worse films out there.

gma Mon 27-Feb-17 18:05:50

I saw La La Land and it was the biggest load of garbage I have ever sat through! If I had not paid almost £9 for my ticket I would have walked out, in fact 4 people did walk!
I Think it is a highly over rated film, with a 2nd rate cast and 3rd rate music. Nothing I heard has stayed in my head, unusual for a musical! Get a life USA !!

yggdrasil Mon 27-Feb-17 17:52:00

I haven't seen hardly anything about it. It's a musical. I haven't heard any of the songs played, no idea of the story line, just a load of hype about how it would win 14 oscars.

TerriBull Mon 27-Feb-17 17:51:09

The general consensus about this film seems to be that it was quite good, but was most definitely over hyped. For me it didn't compare to either Manchester By The Sea or Lion. Just wondering if Hollywood loved it so because it was about err Hollywood hmm

vwaves Mon 27-Feb-17 16:47:34

I was so disappointed by the ending. Left feeling really low. And I did love the music but never want to hear it it again or anything about La La land sad

dbDB77 Wed 15-Feb-17 10:14:48

No - you are not alone.
It's OK & I enjoyed it in parts - it's very slick & professionally done - I'm not keen on ending because I thought I'd leave the cinema on a high & feeling good but I just felt disappointed.
Not worth all the awards & nominations.

grannymouse303 Wed 15-Feb-17 09:43:48

Am I the only one who thinks this is massively overrated?!