Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Royal Academy Summer Exhibition

(11 Posts)
Grandma70s Mon 28-May-18 16:07:23

My DIL is a curator there. Sorry, I can’t put a word in for anyone! In any case she doesn’t choose the pictures.

Moongirl Mon 28-May-18 15:50:11

Trisher Well? Did you try entering the summer exhibition this year?
I visit every year and am looking forward to seeing the RA’s 250th anniversary extension and redevelopment. Plus the SE this year has been curated by Grayson Perry who will, no doubt, stamp a bit of his own personality across the exhibition.

Greyduster Wed 14-Jun-17 10:12:05

It can be quite intimidating, looking round exhibitions. We have one here every year which is open to amateur and semi professional artists and I have often thought about submitting something, as I quite often got the "I could do a lot better than that" feeling. Over the years I have seen the standard skyrocket until the rank amateurs stand out like a sore thumb and everything else towers like colossi (sp) around them, and now I think "maybe I won't bother!" But I guess you have to be in it to win it, so all credit to those who do bother.

trisher Wed 14-Jun-17 09:40:41

Thanks Humbertbear I've had a few things in exhibitions, never sold anything, but it was nice to have comments from people. I agree about painting for yourself and it is very relaxing. Maybe next year then.
Do go Eloethan great experience and if you are into collecting art some things are very affordable.

Greyduster Wed 14-Jun-17 08:22:22

They did accept the Amy Winehouse sculpture, notTooOld. I thought it was very good.

Humbertbear Wed 14-Jun-17 08:19:26

Entry is done online. I think you can enter two paintings and there is a fee, maybe £25. I've been going to the exhibition for the past few years and find it overall very disappointing. If you don't try, Trisher, you will never know so good luck for next year. In the meantime, why not find out about local exhibitions and enter paintings for those? Those of us who paint always risk rejection I'm afraid but I paint for myself, not the world.

Eloethan Wed 14-Jun-17 00:24:39

I really didn't know anything about the RA Summer Exhibition until I saw the programme on TV. It looks great and I plan to go to it.

NotTooOld Tue 13-Jun-17 21:23:15

I watched that programme, trisher. It's always interesting but like you, I do often wonder by what criteria the exhibits are chosen. Do you know if the Amy Winehouse exhibit got in? I must have missed that bit - probably putting the kettle on.

trisher Tue 13-Jun-17 20:52:30

I love watching the selection show. I've been a couple of times on visits to London. The range of work is huge and although I think some of them are fantastic I do sometimes look and think "I could have done that". But you are right understanding how some things get in is difficult

Greyduster Tue 13-Jun-17 18:26:07

I've never been to the RA Summer Exhibition, despite living in, and then just outside London in the past. I have been to other exhibitions at the RA. I wouldn't have the nerve to submit anything I had painted, although I did have a picture exhibited at a local exhibition once. It wasn't for sale but I doubt anyone would have bought it anyway. I've watched programmes about the selection process and it must be gut wrenching to get a rejection letter, but I do wonder how Una Stubbs manages to get her wishy washy sketches of celebs exhibited year after year (Bill Nighy (apparently) this year) when IMHO more worthwhile submissions are turned down. All subjective I suppose. We went to the end of year art degree show at Oxford Brookes a few weeks ago and I was bowled over by the standard of work on display. Amazing. Academicians of the future maybe!

trisher Tue 13-Jun-17 16:53:22

The RA Summer Exhibition opens today and I wondered if any GNers had ever had anything shown or entered in this exhibition? If so how did it feel? Or are you like me, watching and thinking I will enter next year but being scared of rejection?
www.royalacademy.org.uk