Ben Okri's poem on Grendel Tower

(13 Posts)
Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 22:13:09

Wanted to put this in a safe place. - I found it very moving

youtu.be/zC9Ni-IPnAc

Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 22:21:11

Sorry about typo - I was concentrating so hard on doing the YouTube link

grannysue05 Tue 27-Jun-17 10:44:24

Very moving and sincere and hope it raises a lot of cash.

Lots of emphasis on being burnt and being poor. Are there any high rise buildings containing luxury flats ?

And if these flats caught fire, would it have the same outpouring of grief?

Or what? hmm

Morgana Tue 27-Jun-17 11:05:21

I would imagine luxury flats have more than one staircase proper fire equipment etc and the managing agents would have to listen to owners complaints. But let's not detract from the very moving poem. It made me cry. Thanks for posting O.P.

Brigidsdaughter Wed 28-Jun-17 10:36:39

I expect luxury high rise would not have this cladding.

EmilyHarburn Wed 28-Jun-17 11:11:37

Rigby Thank you for directing us to this poem.

Diggingdoris Wed 28-Jun-17 12:32:03

Oh how moving that is. It brings tears just like I shed on the first days. Will we ever really know how many died? Thank you Rigby.

VIOLETTE Wed 28-Jun-17 14:15:34

Such a thoughtful poem .....which should of course never have had to be written ...but that said I hope there will be some comfort for the families of the bereaved and injured.

What also concerns me is the number of public buildings such as hospitals, etc that have this type of cladding ..although of course they will, or should have, fire drills and fire escapes in place

It is a good thing this was exposed before more tragedies .although of course one is one too many !

Shizam Wed 28-Jun-17 15:21:12

Ben Okri's tribute poem is so sad and truthful.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Jun-17 18:13:09

Thank you Rigby.

Diddy1 Wed 28-Jun-17 19:23:47

Thank you Rigby, the poem was beautifully read,sad for everyone involved.
Let us hope the families involved will find some peace somewhere,God bless them.

Elrel Mon 23-Oct-17 13:03:09

Odd coincidence, I just came on this forum for the first time to comment on a dance performance.
Five minutes ago I read Ben Okri's poem for the first time wth admiration. It is very strong and moving.

suzied Mon 23-Oct-17 14:45:05

Luxury high rise would have sprinklers, cameras, concierge.