Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

All is true

(21 Posts)
Floradora9 Sat 09-Feb-19 18:57:00

We went to see this film about Shakespeare to-day I thought it was dire. It was so gloomy , dark and at the same time pretentious . DH says he enjoyed it but I really did not . It was a waste of an afternoon as far as I was concerned. There were 5 of us in the cinema .

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 19:03:21

Disappointing when that happens. Sounds a bit like how I felt about the Poirot on tv at Christmas.

tanith Sat 09-Feb-19 19:03:30

I was going to see this maybe I’ll rethink.

Marelli Sat 09-Feb-19 19:16:27

My friend and I were waiting for it to come to our local cinema... don't think we'll bother, now.

BlueBelle Sat 09-Feb-19 19:31:02

I m going in a couple of weeks
My Favourite was dreadful the biggest waste if an afternoon ever

Urmstongran Sat 09-Feb-19 19:53:09

2 friends went to see ‘The Favourite’. Ouch!
I now plan to swerve it.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Feb-19 19:55:00

Ps off thread I know but we all went to see ‘Can You Ever Forgive Me?’ mid week and we ALL loved it!

eazybee Sat 09-Feb-19 20:03:11

Oh.
I am really looking forward to 'All is True.'; as yet can't find anyone to see it with me.

GrandmaKT Sat 09-Feb-19 20:29:48

I've seen a trailer for All is True. What struck me as strange is that Kenneth Branagh (aged 59) plays Shakespeare and Judi Dench (aged 84) plays Anne Hathaway. So far as I know (and I don't know much I must admit!) his wife wasn't a lot older than him. Is there any justification in the film?

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:33:19

Oh!
I was hoping to see this.

I'm sure Shakespeare in Love was far from the truth but I loved it so much that it is the only film that I watched twice!

Lily65 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:35:37

Try Green Book.

JackyB Sat 09-Feb-19 20:47:11

I'd love to see it but it's not going to be released in Germany according to imdb. Kenneth Branagh directed it - surely it can't be that bad.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:48:41

and Judi Dench???

I thought she must have been playing his mother.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:49:17

Anne Hathaway was 8 years older than Shakespeare.

GrandmaKT Sat 09-Feb-19 20:52:28

Oh well, good for Judi. We get enough Hollywood films where the wife looks so young that DH and I spend the film saying "Is that the wife or the daughter?"It's about time we had the reverse!

annep1 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:45:07

Oh dear. we planned on going. Also going to Beale Street next week.

BlueSapphire Wed 13-Feb-19 21:21:24

Wanted to see the new Clint Eastwood film 'The Mule', but they didn't have an afternoon showing at my local cinema. And I don't much like going to the cinema in the evening on my own. Quite enjoyed 'The Favourite ' ! Not bothered about the Shakespeare one. Enjoyed 'Colette'.

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Feb-19 22:18:12

Well we’re off to see Creed II tomorrow. grin It’s our Senior Vue offering and I did tut a bit and wonder why it was the Valentine’s Day choice (sometimes I think they’re just having a larf....). But I read the reviews and they weren’t bad.

We’ll get All is True and most other films mentioned here about 6 months down the line.

Floradora9 Thu 14-Feb-19 15:45:06

Strange thing was neither of them had any white in their hair in the film despite being parents of grown up children and himself on the verge of retirement .

HildaW Thu 14-Feb-19 17:59:07

I'll stick to 'Upstart Crow' methinks.

and why use Dame Judy as Anne .......she's marvellous but surely a bit too old to play Anne. Shakespeare died aged 55ish....Anne would have not been much more that mid 60 by then!

Namsnanny Thu 14-Feb-19 19:05:11

Yes but that's what acting is all about isn't it? Nowadays women play men's parts even don't they?
Floradora9.....can I ask, what about the film did you find pretentious?

The music was melancholic and the lighting was dark, presumably to give the air of authenticity, and his wig was too fake, but I liked the fact that lots of connections were drawn between his life and works. ie Hamnet his son (which was interchangeable with the name Hamlet) and Hamlet the play. That he had fraternal twins and wrote Twelfth night. There were more I'm sure but I afraid they passed me by!!