Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Blaydon Races.

(10 Posts)
Judy54 Thu 01-Aug-19 13:10:15

What lovely memories these songs bring back to me. Both my Parents were Geordies who migrated South. I spent lots of time as a Child visiting my Grandparents and other relatives in the North East. My Granddad's favourite song was the Blaydon races. I still have family in and around Durham and we keep in touch and visit each other as much as possible.

KatyK Thu 13-Jun-19 18:38:20

I'm a Brummie born and bred but I learned the Blaydon Races as a child, I'm not sure where.

M0nica Wed 12-Jun-19 10:58:48

The Lambton Worm was very popular was very popular in the Bun Room in the students's union at Kings College, Durham, now Newcastle University.

Back in the 60s, the Northumbrian opera singer, Owen Brannigan recorded many of these songs. We had a lot of them on vinyl, but like Fennel's song books, that we may still have, they have gone missing over time.

Buffybee Tue 11-Jun-19 19:17:22

I was brought up near Manchester but I can remember singing the verse to Blaydon Races when I was about 7 or 8.
No idea who taught me the words.

Fennel Tue 11-Jun-19 19:16:45

ps sorry I think there's something wrong with that link - I had to reboot my 'puter.

Fennel Tue 11-Jun-19 19:10:04

I used to have ?3 books of Tyneside songs. for voice and piano. They disappeared when we moved house sad.
I bought them from Windows music store in Newcastle.
another one I knew, not in those books, was The Lambton Worm:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambton_Worm

M0nica Mon 10-Jun-19 20:29:16

Ah, yes, remember them - and Cushie Butterfield

Septimia Mon 10-Jun-19 17:55:08

I'm Surrey born and bred, but now live in County Durham. At a recent concert in our village hall I found that I knew the words to all the 'local' songs, including 'Blaydon Races' and 'Keep your feet still Geordie hinny'. I think that says something about North-east culture!

M0nica Mon 10-Jun-19 16:24:52

I was a student in Newcastle in 1962 when the song celebrated its centenary. As I remember, it was quite a celebration.

MiniMoon Sun 09-Jun-19 22:36:23

I nearly forgot! It's the 9th June.
We'll, it is for another hour and 25 minutes.
Here's a bit of Geordie culture.

https://youtu.be/6PrMaVjHS74