Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Rudolf Nureyev

(11 Posts)
Daddima Thu 05-Sep-19 19:42:29

I was just looking at him on some You Tube clips. I had forgotten just what a beautiful man he was.

BradfordLass72 Fri 06-Sep-19 06:16:29

He used to be my hero - partly because of his bravery at defecting. In those days, you could expect a poisoned needle in the leg as punishment.

Also, I had been doing ballet and loved it and to watch those spectacular leaps of his was breathtaking.

BradfordLass72 Fri 06-Sep-19 06:18:33

Wow!

NanKate Fri 06-Sep-19 06:49:55

In the 1960s I saw RN perform in Stratford upon Avon where I lived. The following day I saw him walk past our house I dashed out with my programme followed by my parents. He was so friendly and was happy to give me his autograph and said ‘Have you brought the whole family’ ? Happy memories.

Bellanonna Fri 06-Sep-19 07:38:58

What lovely memories you’ve evoked, Daddima, I never did see Nureyev live on stage but was lucky enough to have seen Fonteyn several times. I must watch those YouTube clips.

Grandma70s Fri 06-Sep-19 07:39:57

I was very, very lucky. I was a student in London in the early 60s, and saw Nureyev at his very best. He was in his twenties. We went without proper food if necessary to afford tickets, and sometimes queued all night. Since I was a child Margot Fonteyn had been my heroine, so it was a double treat. He usually danced with her. I have numerous autographed programmes, and best of all a (now very dead) white rose he gave me after a performance of Giselle. It was from a bouquet and he gave them to everyone - not special treatment for me!

In the bitter winter of 1963 I helped him remove snow from the roof of his car.

Bellanonna Fri 06-Sep-19 07:45:17

What a lovely memory for you Grandma70s!

EllanVannin Fri 06-Sep-19 08:21:07

I can remember my mum being overwhelmed watching him in Swan Lake when the dying swan was being performed. She was a huge fan of the ballet and also of the skating as I remember, years ago, Sonya Henie.

Fennel Fri 06-Sep-19 15:50:54

Amazing - he could almost fly!

SilverDarlings12 Fri 06-Sep-19 16:00:24

Oops!! We used to sing a song in the playground in Glasgow.

"Sonya Henie skates like this".

Dinahmo Fri 01-Nov-19 18:36:51

A schoolfriend was mad about Nureyev and managed to see him when he was young. In later years we saw him twice with his Ballet Russe company performing Diaghelev ballets - Petrouchka, Spectre and Faune and he was brilliant in the all. His leaps weren't quite so good (Spectre) but his characterisation was the best I've seen.